Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/21/2007

Sleighing



It amazes how much joy can be found on a hill covered with snow. This evening Dave and I took the kids back to "our" hill(the one we found on new years eve), and when we got there we found another family using it too. Al was so sad to see that someone else had found "our"hill. Dave tried to explain to her that we did not own the hill and that the snow on it didn't just belong to us either.
Good luck convincing our 8 year old from Texas that it wasn't sent here just because she prayed for it! Thankfully we were able to share "our hill and our snow" and still manage to enjoy it.

The only word that comes to my mind when trying to describe how it felt to play with our kiddos today is JOY. I had a smile on my face the whole time as I listened to them laugh and giggle as we ALL tried to tackle that hill. They got great enjoyment out of watching their mom squeal the whole way down. I was freezing because I don't happen to own a pair of snow pants or boots like they do. Needless to say the frostbite I developed was worth it. Anything to see them smile right?

It was so funny listening to Blake try and explain the difference between sledding and sleighing to his sister. Finally he gave up and said,"You just don't get it." Her reply, "I don't care, I just like to go sleighing when it snows!" Someday we might actually take her on a "sleigh" ride and perhaps she'll understand, but for now I love listening to her get so excited about taking her sled sleighing. I sure do love this girl!

How sad it makes me to know that our visit is coming to an end. I love it when they come, but each time I watch them leave while Ash and I stay behind hurts just a little deeper. My heart is heavy and a little discouraged because I have no idea when or if we will ever be back together in our little house in Texas as a family of five. The eight months we were given from Jan. 20 until Sept 26 were the best of our lives. My Ashley was so very ill, but at least we were home doing it together. Now she is ill and we are apart. Tomorrow will be lonely and we will find ourselves wishing we too could have gone home. I know in my heart that the Father is working in Ash's life and that He has a plan, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. I pray that He will allow us to go home someday. Until then I will stay willing to let Him work in my heart and in my life.

Ash is still struggling tonight, but she is breathing without the help of the vent and we are thankful for that. This will be my last night to tuck Blake and Al into bed. My last night to plant those secret kisses on their foreheads while they sleep. My last night to drift off to sleep while holding tightly to Dave's hand. My last night to hug them all till it hurts. The grandmas will stand watch over Ash's bed and then they will all leave for the airport around 4:30 in the morning. I will take my place next to Ashley's crib in my favorite recliner and dream about the days when we will all be together again. Thank you all so much for caring. Thank you all so much for coming. Thank you all so much for praying. Good night from Omaha and may you rest well in the knowledge that the Father himself is watching over you and yours. I love you guys. Trish

3 Comments:

At 9:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like fun guys!! (= Praying for safe travels for all. Praying for Ash to breathe better & the withdrawl effects to lessen. Praying...for Trish...as she says goodbyes to the gang. I can't imagine how difficult that is for you. Praying....

 
At 9:45 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

Praying. And on a very happy note, SLEDDING would be so thrilling right now...we are in Tennessee and promised snow about fifteen thousand times and guess what...it never comes...boy, do I sound like a selfish little southerner...from IOWA! :) Sending prayers and hugs from Tennessee

 
At 10:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Nebraska could finally deliver a good snow for you guys! I put on my snow pants and scooped my walk today. Had I known, Trish, I would have brought them to you to borrow! Please call me if you need anything! I love Nebraska, but I sure hope you ALL get the heck out of here soon (and back to Texas)!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home