Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/19/2007

The Famous Bunny Slippers

These are the beautiful bunny slippers you have heard so much about. They have been through it all with Ash. They are the bunnies that had to get a hair cut (click here for details) due to Ashley's antics. They are the ones that keep her warm when the night are cold. They are there when she falls asleep at night, and they are there when she wakes up. The have been through MRIs, Cat Scans, X-rays, echocardiograms, upper GIs, broncoscopies, central line changes and all the other tests and procedures our Ash puts up with. Many times these bunnies are the only bit of clothing Ash gets to wear. I am quite sure they make her feel like a girl while she endures all she must go through.

I am really enjoying getting to see Ash. She is in there behind the vent and sometimes I get to see the sparkle in her eyes that I miss so much while I am away. She is pretty heavily sedated on the vent so I have not gotten to spend much time with her, but I know that she knows that we came to see her. I am really hopeful that she will come off the vent before we leave so I can hear the growling I have come to love.

Earlier this week I had just sat down to eat dinner at a restaurant when I heard a man walking around the restaurant asking for David Adams. He was working the room looking for me. I told him who I was and he told me I had a phone call. I knew this was not a good thing. I picked up the phone and it was a friend of ours telling me that Trish was trying to reach me. I immediately called Trish and she did not answer. It was one of the moms of another transplant baby. One of Ashley's little friends. She informed me that that Ash had gone into cardiac arrest. For a moment I thought this was the phone call I had been dreading. Then she continued to tell me that she is OK. She passed the phone to Trish and I heard my wife crying I knew that things were not OK right now. Trish tried to explain to me what was going on but honestly I could not understand her through the tears. Next thing I know I was talking with an assistant who was able to fill me in on the situation. I won't repeat the rest as you heard it in the earlier posts, but I just wanted to let you know how great it is to see her today. Not just her body, but to see her little personality. There was a couple of days when we didn't know what damage had been done and to see her play and smile and try to rip off my face today was such a blessing. I thank God that she is still here with us and I thank Him for making her such a fighter. I can't wait to see what He is going to do in her life in the coming days, weeks, months and years.

Thank you to each one of you. You are so important to us and such an important part of Ashley's Story.

DAVE

15 Comments:

At 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing ...the slippers are sooo great!!! i know you will keep them for her for many many years..and she can use them as a show and tell...and then hold them as she tells her story of God's amazing grace to her children and grand children!!! What an awesome story those shoes will represent!!

 
At 9:18 PM , Blogger Krista said...

I LOVE THE SLIPPERS, Have to get some for my little one. I am so glad to hear she still has the fight in her. that is what makes her so totally beautiful (Among other things of course.) We are Praying for that ven to disapper before you leave Dave. Praise God for another day with Ashley. We love you little Pickle!

 
At 9:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

those could quite possibly be the cutest little slippers i have ever seen.

still praying for your family

 
At 10:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, we FINALLY get to see the little bunnies. That makes things so real for everyone when we can actually see them on Ashley's precious feet. Enjoy your time together and know we're continuing in prayer.

 
At 10:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had forgotten how very tiny Ashley's little feet really are. Her bunnies are so cute. This was a really beautiful post, David. Very much from the heart. I honestl thought Trish had written it until I got to the horrific restaraunt part. I'm glad that day is over. I'm praying for much better days ahead.

Morgan - Your bunny slippers are so cute, Ashley! I wish they had big ones. They look so WARM and soft and I'm praying for you every single night in my bed. Love, Morgan

Seth - I can't think of anything to say but what I always do but it's true - that I'm praying for you every day. :)

 
At 12:50 AM , Blogger Ashleigh Baker said...

Precious slippers! So sweet...

I cannot imagine the relief you must feel being able to be with Ashley and Trish today. Praise the Lord that you were able to get out there...

 
At 7:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that you're all there with Trish! Precious bunny slippers for a precious angel! What a blessing to be able to call her your daughter. Hope she improves and her lungs continue to dry out soon enough for you to get to see the real Ash before you leave. Hope Trish pain is better. Please keep us posted. Oh and Still praying here in Alabama! God is with you........always!

 
At 8:12 AM , Blogger AW said...

What adorable slippers! I know they provide tons of comfort to her. I wonder where you can find them?

 
At 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those slippers!!! They fit so perfect on such a beautiful, precious girl.

As always I continue to pray for sweet Ashley.

 
At 9:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love her bunny slippers. They are great. I am glad that you are there to see her too. I know it makes you and your family feel better.

 
At 10:05 AM , Blogger Mandy said...

Those slippers are adorable!!! Thanks for sharing with us! :0)
Praying every day!

 
At 10:16 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Precious slippers for a precious girl! Enjoy your day together today :)

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger Jer said...

A friend of mine shared your testimony at bible study the other night...what an instrument of Christ's love you are to MANY, MANY people!!! I look forward to seeing the amazing plans that God has in-store for your precious family! You are all in my prayers!

 
At 4:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those slippers are darling!! How perfect for her little feet! Do you happen to know where we can find a pair like them?

 
At 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOW DARLING!! WE FINALLY GET TO SEE THE INFAMOUS RED SPOTTED HAIR CUT BUNNY SLIPPERS! we are praying for you every day, and i tell people when ever i can about a sweet little girl who i know that is in a hospital in Omaha Nebraska. God Bless You Richly and may he make that vent go away as far as the east is from the west.

God Bless,
Laura in Kc

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home