Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

4/19/2007

Missing the Gang

After living in the PICU for almost 6months Ash and I often find ourselves "missing the gang". The nursing staff became more than our nurses. They became our friends. Each day we looked forward to seeing who had "picked us" to take care of. The ones who didn't decide to "pick us" that day we tried to make feel like they would really be missing out if they didn't at least stop in to say hi. Now that we have been home for over a month(can you even believe that?), I am starting to wonder just what has been going on with every one. So many of the "gang" had exciting things happening in their lives and we have been wondering how things are going. Several were planning weddings, others expecting babies, some trying for babies, and a couple waiting on grand babies. Others just kind of became like family to us while we were so far away from ours and I genuinely came to love them and their children. So tonight I just wanted to tell the "gang" that Ash and I think of you daily, pray for you often, and miss ya like crazy. Not that we want to come back to the PICU anytime soon, but we do kind of look forward to our visit in July just so we can stop in and catch up on all that's been going on there without us. We also want to say thanks for taking such good care of us and helping those long, not so easy days become a little better. You girls be good and take care of yourselves.

Its not only our nursing staff that we miss but also our transplant friends. I pray for those little people daily and I know that our paths crossed each and every one of theirs for a reason. When I close my eyes I see those little faces and I smile just knowing that we had the opportunity to love on them and their families. So Ash wanted to say hi to Kiley, Skyler, Taylor, Daisy, Caroline, and Gavin. We love you all and hope to see you again.

Not a day goes by that we don't think of the friends we were privileged to know but lost. I think of their mommies and daddies and I pray that God wraps His arms around them and floods their hearts with beautiful memories of their children. We will never be the same because we were blessed by knowing your little ones. Some we knew well, others only from across the hall, but each life was precious to us and we grieve the loss of our friends. Thank you for letting us be a part of your lives.

Ash seems to have perked up a little tonight. She and her daddy are reading his interpretation of "Good night Moon". At this point she doesn't really understand all of the extra rhymes he likes to throw in so I am willing to ignore them, but when she becomes a little older I am going to insist that he sticks with the ones written on the pages. She just loves to listen to the story especially the part about the "quiet old lady who is whispering, "Hush". It makes her grin every time you say the word "Hush". I'm just thankful she is quietly sitting on his lap and not fussing from being uncomfortable at this point.

On the other side of grandma's house our Allison is all tucked in with a very high fever. I have no idea what is making her so sick, but her cough has turned into something more. She is moaning in her sleep and she did not make it to tumbling practice tonight because her head hurt too bad. She asked if she could go lay down around 4:00 this afternoon and she has been sleeping ever since. I don't think she will be attending school tomorrow so I will be running from one side of the house to the other taking care of my girls who are both a little under the weather. I have to keep them separated because I can't risk Ash getting what Al has. My hands are raw from scrubbing them as I go from one to the other. My yellow mask has become a permanent fixture on my face. I just pray that I can effectively take care of both my girls without transferring germs from one to the other. Life is NEVER boring around here. I think it is going to be a long night.

I just wanted say good night to you guys and thank you so very much for praying for our little pickle. We are still waiting for a decision to come from her oncology team about whether or not she is safe outside of the hospital for now. We should know more in the morning. Hopefully we can just keep her at home and wait this one out, but whatever is best for her is what we are willing to do. Take care guys and we pray you rest well. Trish

5 Comments:

At 10:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gracious sakes - I will pray right now for everyone but especially you, Ashley, and Allie...God is so good and I am praying He holds each one of you closer to Him tonight kind of like a daddy pacing the floor with a baby trying to get them to stay asleep...can't you just picture Him all snuggling with the three of you? God Bless you all! Sunshine

 
At 10:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish and family---i miss you and still keep up to date on all of your updates. many of us still check ashley's site almost every day. we are glad you are not here for ashley's sake but still miss your presence. i keep you all in my prayers and think of you often. God Bless, Melissa

p.s. ditto from my mom too :) take care.

 
At 10:51 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Trish--praying for you guys. I'm so glad you have been home for one month--that is amazing! Hope to hear good news from the sick ward tomorrow! Love, Karen

 
At 7:35 AM , Blogger Alicia said...

It seems like there's a lull in commenting this time of year, so I just wanted to let you know that I'm still here reading every day and praying for your precious family. If you ever need anything while you're in Dallas for Ash's treatments, don't hesitate to ask!

 
At 11:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

We miss you ladies too, but we're so glad that you've been away for so long. :)Keep up the good work!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home