Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

5/10/2007

Word of the Day

ISOLATION. ABSOLUTE PROTECTIVE ISOLATION. I just got off the phone with our team in Omaha and this is what the plan for today is. Ashley's WBC is gone due to chemotherapy and she is extremely vulnerable today. We will remain hospitalized until the count recovers and she remains fever free for 48 hours. They have requested full isolation which includes gown,gloves, and masks for anyone who enters her room. Please pray that our nursing staff will be accepting and agreeable to this request. Sometimes we have trouble getting everyone to comply. We have already had someone enter and exit 4 times without a gown. I don't like confrontation in any form and I hate having to request them to wear one, but this is Ashley's life we are trying to protect. It is very important that we follow the recommendations of our transplant team.

These are the days that scare me the most. Ash has no defense and I can't protect her little body from germs that are all around us. Only God can keep her safe during this time and I pray that He does. So far her blood and urine cultures are clear, but her stool culture has been reported as having "heavy growth, mixed intestinal flora". I don't know what they are seeing just yet, but I prefer the words "no growth". We plan to continue her coverage of antibiotics and anti fungals until she gets through the weak period. It usually takes a few days for her body to recover and for her counts to come back up. They are requesting a stimulating factor to be given. This is a shot that stimulates the bone marrow to begin producing white blood cells. I hate this for her. I really struggle when she has to be poked.

We were hoping to go home today or tomorrow and run her IV meds ourselves, but that won't be happening until her count recovers. Its just too dangerous to move her at this point. I think we will be here until the weekend for sure. The good thing is that we are in Longview and not in Dallas or Omaha. This makes it much easier on Blake and Allison because they can still see us. I am counting it a blessing to be so close to them.

In the midst of all our ups and downs with her course of chemo I still believe God is working. I am surrounded daily by His blessings and it isn't hard for me to see His presence in our lives. I wish we weren't struggling with cancer on top of our transplant issues, but this too is serving a purpose. I don't know what it is, but I trust that He knows what He is doing.

Thank you for your prayers. Thank you for checking on our baby gherkin. Thank you for praying for the precious Coble family this week as they face each morning without their beautiful children. Hug yours extra tight today. I know I'm going to. Take care and God bless you today. Trish

7 Comments:

At 12:26 PM , Blogger Aunt Boo said...

Thanks for updating us on Ashley. She is always in my prayers and now, so is the Coble family.

I hope her count comes up.

Love,
Amanda

 
At 1:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps your transplant team would fax their orders to you to hang on Ashley's door, so you don't have to be the one to tell people to be careful? Praying for your baby and the Cobles. My heart broke when I saw that comment.

 
At 1:45 PM , Blogger Carey said...

Thanks for the update. Im praying for your little girl today, i hope she is feeling better and stronger with each passing moment.

 
At 3:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for guardian angels to surround Ashley and her hospital room. I can see their wings stretched out around her bed...Also, carrying the burden of the Coble family. Send word to family in the San diego area to have church pray. Makes you realize no matter what we are soo blessed. Jesus lift up the mom and dad - You are their only Hope. Wow, I can't imagine....COlleen

 
At 3:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

(praying)

 
At 5:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for baby Ashley to be able to quickly fight this bug and that her wbc will raise really soon! Also praing for the Colbe family! ~Chan~

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Ms. McFearsome said...

praying hard

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home