Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

8/18/2007

The Joy of Parenting




Its the best job in the world. I absolutely love being their mom! Today I had the opportunity to make them all smile and that makes my heart smile. What joy it gives my heart to do things for my children. I can only imagine how much more it must do for the Fathers heart to do things for us.

This morning Allie, her good friend Chelsea, and I all had hair appointments at our salon. What fun it was to sit and pick out a new hairstyle for the girls. They both decided on a new layered cut that looks absolutely adorable on them. Our only requirement was that it had to be long enough to go into a ponytail for tumbling and soccer. They were so cute as they flipped and primped their new cuts in the mirror. I promise you the haircut instantly aged them from little girls into young ladies. It was shocking how grown up they looked. Thankfully it didn't last too long. Before leaving the salon both girls tried to pull their hair into those familiar ponytails they are famous for wearing. The smile our trip to the salon put on those little girls faces will last forever in my memory. I love being a parent!

Tonight we hosted a party for our Tarheels out at the pond. What fun we had watching our favorite group of eleven year olds run around together. Blake has been blessed with an amazing group of friends and getting them together to just be the "tarheels" is so much fun. The guys laughed and goofed and swam and fished and played backyard baseball and fixed burgers and smores until way after dark. Seeing the smile on his face as he just hangs out with the guys gives me such a feeling of contentment. God has really blessed my son and I am so thankful to have the opportunity to be a part of his life. I could sit back and watch him just be one of the guys for hours on end. Parenthood is great! I just want him to love being a kid for as long as he can. They have their whole lives to grow up and take on the responsibilities of this world. Someday I hope a smile comes to their face when they remember their childhoods.

Ashley Kate spent the majority of the day sleeping. She seemed to be feeling a little "wimpy" today, but on the drive home tonight she began to perk up. What did I do to bring a smile to her face today? I bet you could guess. I turned on Blues Clues. That's all it took to perk that little one up tonight. She looked at me with the sweetest smile as if to say, "That's what I've been waiting for all day Mom." I just giggled at that rotten little thing. We have tried everything to make her smile today and I didn't figure it out until 10:30p.m. I think she is starting to experience a little separation anxiety. She is never without one of us by her side, but it has gotten to the point that if Dave or I walk into the other room she bursts into tears. I'm talking big crocodile tears and the saddest cry you have ever heard. I just started turning back around and picking her up, placing her on my hip and taking her to change the laundry or answer the phone with me. This child is rotten, but oh so cute! I just love being her mom.

Its been a good day for us. Its been a day of normalcy. What joy it brings me to say that. I have just had a great day being a mom. No doctors appointments, no emergencies, no issues to deal with. We are blessed to have three amazing kids. We are blessed to be the recipients of His love and grace. We are blessed to have been given another day as a family of five. We are blessed so much more than we deserve and we are thankful. God is good. Good night. Trish

1 Comments:

At 3:01 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

Great post Trish! Glad you had such a refreshing, relaxing, joyful day. It's good to have some "normal" days in there, I bet.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home