Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

9/26/2007

"Classic" Ashley

Our sweet girl's tummy has shrunk enough to allow her to assume the "Classic" Ashley pose. She has been sleeping like this since she was tiny. How good it did my heart to see that her little leg was able to cross over that tummy without causing her too much discomfort. Everyone comments on how funny she looks. She might as well be on vacation kicked back like this.

Rounds were made late, late in the day because the surgical team was tied up in surgery. They didn't have too much to share except to turn down my request to be home some time next week. The first thing they said was, "Uh, no. We don't think so."

"Even if she makes a complete recovery and looks great?" I asked.

The surgeon just shook her head and said, "I wouldn't expect it to happen that quickly."

"Just letting you know I'm thinking positive." was my reply.

We are still treating for rejection. The decision was made to keep her FK level(the anti rejection medicine) at a pretty high level so it doesn't flare up again. They did stop all of the other meds they had started because obviously they weren't doing their job. Since she came down with something in her chest while on those 3 anti biotics the infectious disease team wrote to discontinue them. They said that her sputum culture from yesterday was growing something and once they had identified it they will try and come up with something to treat it. They are also suspecting that she is coming down with pneumonia. I hope that is not the case, but her cough does sound pretty nasty. They didn't like the look of her x-ray. We will just have to wait and see if she gets better or worse in the next couple of days. She is off of oxygen at this moment and although she is sating at the lower end of the cut off she is doing it on her own with no support. She continues to struggle with high respiration's, but I think it is getting better. Her swelling is coming down and she is starting to pee. All of this is moving in the right direction.

I made her sit up a little today and she did not like me that much. Then I rocked her for a while and I loved that. She may not admit it, but once I began reading to her (the only book close enough for me to read to her was about weight loss, but she didn't care. I think she is going to be supportive of my endeavor. Although, I don't think my only choices for dinner are going to help me out. What should I choose? A bag of Doritos or a bag of popcorn to go with my diet coke?). She settled in and allowed me to rock her to sleep. Then I was able to kiss her over and over again and just enjoy the fact that she was still here with me.

She is really fussing this evening and although it is sad I think its a good sign to see her being so grumpy. She doesn't feel well, but at least she feels good enough to tell me all about it. I have no idea what the next few days or weeks will hold for us here, but I have no choice but to be thankful for each and every tiny step she takes.

Thanks for checking on our pickle today. Your prayers continue to carry us along. Trish

20 Comments:

At 8:30 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, she is off supplemental oxygen AND her kidneys are starting to work? That is GREAT news! I love the photo - how can anyone not be completely swept away by this feisty, darling little girl who has spirit and spunk I can only aspire to!

Today I asked everyone I talked to for prayers for Ashley. There are many, many people in Shasta County, California praying for your little pickle tonight!

 
At 8:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great news...have been praying for her and anxiously waiting news...will continue to pray

 
At 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love good news. Glad you're doing a bit better, Sweet Ashley.

Thank you, Lord.

 
At 8:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture is too cute! Glad to hear that God continues to answer our prayers!!

 
At 8:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashley, you're looking more and more like the sweet little Gherkin we all know and love. I'm praying for you constantly, little one and thanking God that even though we can't be together to celebrate your one year anniversary, He is getting you better, step by step. And Trish, I love both you girls so very much and you're very much in my prayers as well as Dave and Blake and Allie and Nan. The Lord is watching over all. I pray for better rest for you and Ash tonight. Love and Hugs, Grandma (I had planned to send pink and green balloons today, but thought it would not be okay since oxygen was being used; but the thought was there.) :)

 
At 9:08 PM , Blogger Keri said...

Hi there,

I've been checking in on Ashley for about a week now, praying and agonizing and hoping along with you. That girl has definitely captured my heart! I just wanted you to know you have one more prayer warrior on your side, and I'll be sticking around for a while! :)

Keri Ann

 
At 9:09 PM , Blogger Keri said...

Oops! I forgot to say how glad I was to read the good news just now! Praise God for improvements! And that picture...well, it's absolutely precious!

 
At 9:14 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

Hands down (with the exception of my own little girls) - that has got to be THE CUTEST picture that I have EVER seen! Oh my - she has so much personality it just bubbles up and over - oh what a cutie! We are continuing to pray! Much hugs and love - Sunshine

 
At 9:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to laugh and smile and cry all at the same time! So greatful for the good news and the picture. I think of her often as I look at my two girls (they are 2)and I pray.

 
At 9:33 PM , Blogger Sunny Day Tag Girl said...

What a doll! A PRINCESS is still a PRINCESS even when not feeling well! Still prayin for you all. Kori

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I love that photo of her--she is something else! :) And if I remember right, she was really, really sick right before you came home from transplant, and you thought you'd be there a lot longer, and then she got well really, really quickly--so that's what I'm praying for this time!! Make that doctor eat his words! (In the nicest way, of course--I'm just rooting for Ashley in a big way!!)

 
At 9:38 PM , Blogger cindy/barron said...

The little princess is so cute with her leg crossed. We are so happy that her swelling has went down and she is starting to pee again. Give the little darling a hug goodnight for us. will check on you in am .

 
At 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!! She is moving in the right direction! She looks absolutly beautiful in that picture. Thank you for sharing it with us! Praying for you all!! ~Chan~

 
At 10:02 PM , Blogger Ivey's Mom said...

You are always close to my heart. Good luck in the next few....we will be here cheering your family on.
Gwen

 
At 10:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this picture......What a precious little girl.....full of spunk. Thankful for the turn around today & prayerful that pneumonia is not on the horizon. Praying that she will be much better soon. Trish if there is anything I can do to help on this end to make Blake's birthday special....please let me know. I would love to help. (Maybe take a birthday picture....LOL....Sorry Dave....had to get that in there...fellow scrapbooker here...) No,seriously...I know how much you both have on your shoulders now & then.....& how far our creator has brought you guys & Ash. Praises & prayers....offered up on your behalf. Don't want to post my # on here but I am sure you know how to reach me if you have something in mind I can help with next week. My pleasure to do so.....really.
-Suzanne S. (Longview)

 
At 10:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Ashley! That is such a great picture and so good to see you looking more like your precious little self! Good is GOOD and GOOD things come from God! We will continue to check on you (on a VERY regular) basis and keep the prayers going up as well. Thanks for sharing your heart...it touches so many!

Mistie

 
At 10:48 PM , Blogger Cheryl Jones said...

ANGELS' ARMS

I am kept moment by moment by my Savior's Love
Escaping all harm from the Evil One,
For there is no harm that can come to me
As I abide in the One who died for me.

O Child of God, don't you know?
The Lord of the heavens loves you so,
As you go about from thing to thing
The Lord of the Heavens places his angels around thee.

Fear not, O Child of God
For you are kept safely in the Angels' arms,
As the Lord of the Heavens has given
To them your charge.

O Child of God, never fear
As the Lord of the Heavens is ever so near,
Fear not, O Child of God,
You are placed safely close to His ear.

O Child of God, how He loves you so
Protected, so very close to Him away from the foe,
Snuggled within His breast so great,
There is Protection Love that is never too late.

Angels arms surely hold you each moment of the day,
To ensure you Love and Protection in every way,
Enjoy the Lord of the Heavens day by day,
As His arms hold YOU without delay.

 
At 11:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, I continue to pray for Ashley and marvel at her strength - and yours. She is such a strong little girl! I check this blog several times a day to read any updates you have posted and pray. Thank you for keeping all of us informed - you are such a wonderful mommy! I think her picture is adorable - the socks with the ruffles are too cute! Hey, a girl HAS to accessorize - even when wearing hospital gowns! She is a doll! Prayers and God's blessings are being sent your way.

Take care,
Gina

 
At 6:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep striking the pose Ashley!

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger Amy T said...

Great news! It's so good to see Ashley beginning to look like her self again. She looks like she is thinking "And ANOTHER thing...." What a princess pickle! Praying for her oxygen levels and her lungs that the pneumonia does not develop. Bless you Trish.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home