Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

9/27/2007

Early Rounds

Rounds took place early this morning (maybe to make up for yesterday's late ones?), and the last words of our surgeon? "I'm encouraged". It doesn't get much better than that!

She is convinced Ashely came in suffering with rejection. Based on the slides from her biopsies and her symptoms she is positive about that. What they are not positive about is if it has just slowed and stalled waiting to flare up again or if it is over. They scheduled another biopsy on Friday afternoon and told me we need to be careful to make sure we don't miss anything. She continues to have a very high stool output since the bowel "came alive" and this is a classic symptom of rejection. The mystery rash remains a mystery, but she has not had an episode in two days. Her skin remain pink and healthy and intact. I am so thankful to be past that part. No more sluffing and oozing skin reduces her risk of infection.

Overall I feel very positive about where we are this morning. Ash is grumpy because her DVD player is on the brink and she can't watch Blue. I have shook it, hit it, talked to it and tried to get it to understand just how important it is that she get to watch Blue, but for some reason it decided to "die" last night and refuses to play. To see her frustrated and grumpy are actually good things. She is starting to feel better and become opinionated again. She is kicking off her blankets, pulling off her socks and turning her head away from anyone who comes in to examine her. To be honest she is being down right rude, but who can blame her. She still bares the marks of the multiple "sticks" she endured last week and I don't think she is over it yet.

I asked about the time line for starting feeds again. I know that in order to pack our bag and head home we must have her back on feeds. I think they wanted to laugh at me when I posed the question. "Not today, and when we do start we will start back at 5 mls per hour." Remember the thimble full posting of last fall? That's the position we will find ourselves in once again.

Can I just share with you how thankful I am for this team of doctors? They have been used by the Father more than once to pull our Ashley Kate out of a tough spot. I appreciate their commitment to her. I appreciate their thoroughness. They are careful and deliberate checking all possibilities and not taking any chances. For those reasons I will be content to sit here and wait this one out. I am sure there must be a reason we are here. Although I would love to be home for Blake's birthday they are just not going for it.

Her chest x-ray shows some collapse of her left lung, but her fluid status is better making it much easier for her to breathe. The cultures are not conclusive this morning so we still aren't sure what is growing in there, but I am making her sit up today to try and hold off that pneumonia that would like to set in. She doesn't like me very much, but sometimes I just have to make her do what she doesn't like even if it is uncomfortable.

I just want to thank you again for keeping up with the pickle. It amazes me how faithfully some of you follow along. I know you are busy dealing with your own day to day struggles but yet you still take the time to pray over mine. It does not go unnoticed and I thank God for you and your faithfulness. Take care today. Trish

12 Comments:

At 10:14 AM , Blogger Karen said...

Praise God for all your good news this morning--He is so good! Know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers and that I check on you multiple times a day, even when I don't comment. God has seen you through rough spots before, and He'll see you through this one as well! Love and blessings, Karen

 
At 10:14 AM , Blogger preechrboy said...

We're very encouraged Sis. We are all still praying here at ERBC. Everyone will be encouraged to pray even more after I read this to them. (Loved the pic of Ash last night...typical)

 
At 10:18 AM , Blogger cindy/barron said...

We really do serve an awesome loving God. I am so happy to hear things are looking better for the little Pickle. Trish you will never know what it means to so many of us that follow Ashley story , for you update although sometimes you dont have the time to ,you still keep us updated and we appreciate that.Praying for it just to keep getting better. Love a friend

 
At 10:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad God is showing His faithfulness, new every morning, and poured out on us generously.
Good morning, Ashley.

 
At 10:28 AM , Blogger Joyful Days said...

Continuing to check in and pray for all of you, especially Ashley. What an encouraging post!

Blessings,
Julie

 
At 10:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing to see God working! I am very greatful to be able to pray for Ashley, it has taught me so much. Thank You.

 
At 10:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear the good news!! It is great to hear that she getting back to her feisty self. Now about the dvd player issue that is serious...when my daughter, Hadley(she'll be 2 in nov) can't get her "lues clue" (blues clues)or "dorey"(dora) then we have serious problems. Does the hospital have one you can borrow? I mean after all that lil pickle has been through she deserves her blue!!! Trish if we wanted to get something to you where would we send it? I am so happy things are looking up for you guys!! Keeping you in my prayers always!!

 
At 10:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish ~ Again we Praise God for those baby steps in the right direction. Thank you for taking time to update and letting us know how best to pray for precious Ashley (as well as the whole family).

I have a portable DVD player that I can overnight to you. Kate would love to have Ashley watch Blue on hers. Please just email me if I can do that (jwhite@rjcarroll.com). Or if there is a address to ship to, I can order one from Best Buy and have them overnight. Please let me help if possible!

Love to all of you! Know that you are thought about and prayed for continually!

Jule White

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger Alicia said...

This is good progress and information that you're getting. I'm praying that she just astounds everyone with how quickly she bounces back and I'll pray that she tolerates her feeds beautifully when they start them.

 
At 11:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How encouraging to get those words from the surgeon. I am praying that Ash is on the mend and for you, Dave and the kids as you are seperated and going thru this time.
You thank us for praying for Ash but the truth is I need to thank you. You have been such a blessing in my life through out the last year (and even before when I got my updates from Rae). It is very encouaging to read your blog and see the strength and courage you display everyday. I know that your strength comes from the same God that I love.
I can honestly say that your words have made me a better person, mother and wife.
Thank you for letting us grow to love you and your family! (((hugs)))
~Chan~

 
At 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been praying and praying and will continue to! It is a wonderful privelege to pray and think of you all day long. This mommys heart is clinging closely by feeling all your joys and tears!! You are loved and lifted up by your family in Christ!!!

 
At 11:24 AM , Blogger Amy T said...

Good news, good news. So glad things are turning around for the princess pickle. I'm with you. What amazes me almost as much as the miracles God has chosen to perform in Ashley's life is the amount of prayers being offered up for y'all, especially in the last week. So glad people are letting you know they are praying. I know it's been a comfort. We'll keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home