Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

11/14/2007

Praying Specifics

Its been another night of up and down running replacements and emptying ostomy bags. Ashley Kate decided to remove her own central line dressing and so she required a new dressing. It is definitely a two person job, but somehow I managed to clean and dress the site while wrestling the very skilled arms of a two year old princess.

This morning I am coming to you to ask for specific prayers over the next three days. There are several things that we need to have covered as we approach our clinic appointment and our meeting with the surgeon on Friday.

First and foremost in my mind after emptying Ash's ostomy this morning is her absorption. On Sunday evening I was able to make a change in her feeedings. She went up to 50cc of formula and down to 10cc of TPN. That meant we are only one change away from full feedings and NO TPN. I had really hoped to be able to make that change before attending our clinic appointment tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. Ashley's ostomy output has increased and she is requiring a great amount of replacement fluids to be run through her IV. This tells me her bowel is not adjusting well and is not absorbing the formula. Not good. We need for her to tolerate full feedings in order to get her home. Please pray that her output would slow down and that we would be able to make that final increase soon.

Secondly, our first outpatient clinic appointment will be tomorrow at 2pm. I am hoping for good things to happen. This will be a key appointment that decides where they want to go and what they want to do with Ashley Kate. Thankfully David will arrive in time to attend along with us.

Next is travel. Dave and the kids will be traveling for many hours tomorrow. Dave is flying in to Omaha to spend the next four days with us, and our children will be on the road tomorrow evening traveling for the first half of the drive with Nan and the second half with my sister. Please pray for their safety. They are two of the most precious things in my life and knowing they are on the road for so many hours is difficult for me. I also pray they have a wonderful visit with our families and that joy and laughter will replace any sadness they may feel during the holiday.

Our finances. This stay in the Lied is a stretch for our monthly budget. The sooner we can get home, the quicker the strain and burden can be lifted. Dave is working longer and longer hours attempting to see more and more patients during this time. He is exhausted and my heart aches knowing the stress he must be feeling. It is no secret to those who have a medically fragile child how draining their care can be on a family's budget. Dave is insisting on returning to Omaha again next week to spend the holiday with Ash and I. I am trying to convince him it is not necessary. Nothing special happens around this place on holidays and the expense of travel is very high during this season. Your prayers would be appreciated. God has never failed to meet our needs and He blesses us greatly. I know He saw this one coming even though we did not.

Finally, our appointment with a surgeon will be on Friday at 2p.m. Please cover us in prayer while we sit down face to face and talk about Ashley's future. Dave and I need to have our questions laid out, be able to communicate effectively without getting too emotional, and have willing and open hearts to hear what the "team" would like to have happen. Our goal is to share with them how we feel about living Ashley Kate's life making it full of quality. We don't believe we are doing that at this time while she and I are separated from our home, our family, our community, and our support system. The things that I am doing for Ash can be done in our home just as safely and much more effectively with the support of my friends and family. A well rested mommy is a better mommy. A well supported mommy is a better mommy. A more relaxed Ashley is a healthier Ashley. A happier Ashley is a healthier Ashley. Our desire is for our family to be reunited and there is nothing "magical" taking place in this room in Omaha, NE that can't be done in Texas. We are so willing to return every two weeks for a clinic schedule and to do any testing and lab work on whatever schedule they would like. Dave and are good, loving, responsible parents who want the best life possible for Ashley Kate so my prayer is that our surgeon will see that and that we will all come to the best decisions for our daughter.

So much is happening and my heart is anxious. The Bible tells me to, "Be anxious for nothing" and "to make my requests known unto God". I'm just asking for your help, too. Thank you for loving us. Thank you for you kindness toward my heart and my family. You are loved. Trish

43 Comments:

At 7:08 AM , Blogger camille said...

Will be praying...

 
At 7:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Trish,

Everything you have asked for, and the way your eyes and heart see things, is so right. I am glad you will both be there for the meeting so you both can be "fresher" and more clear. (I know how overbearing docs can be!) With all my heart I hope things go better than well, and that the quality of life returns for all of you. (Emphasize the cleanliness factor, too. The Lied is like a hotel, and home is much cleaner!)
M.

 
At 7:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Praying for all that you requested. I know what you say about being at home will be better for all. Ash just did so great the last time you were home, and she will again. Praying that the surgeon will agree. The Lord will provide, praying for you.

 
At 7:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will definately pray specific for these needs. Will also alert my prayer chain that stretches over 4 states to read the blog for the specific needs. I expect to hear great things in the near future. YEAH GOD!! In all things give thanks and make you heart desires know to our saviour.

Fondia in Longview

 
At 7:35 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

Praying for all these needs. Thank-you for bringing them to us Trish.
d

 
At 7:39 AM , Blogger Alicia said...

Thank you for sharing specific prayer requests. I'll continue to be on my knees for your family!

 
At 7:40 AM , Blogger Sunshine said...

ok I would like to apologize - this is the third try so you may get three comments from me - I don't know what I did wrong but I lost the other two - that has never happened before...anyhow...all I wanted to let you know is this : my family and friends will be praying specifics for you and your family. Much love - Sunshine

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger Living to Love said...

Praying!!

 
At 7:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be praying for the upcoming meeting and for Ash like always!! I hope you have a wonderful day!
:)Whitnee

 
At 7:59 AM , Blogger HennHouse said...

Yes--we'll be praying. Thank you.

 
At 8:09 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Praying today for everything you have asked for and more Trish. And especially for you not to be anxious, but at peace in your heart. Home is where the Heart is and belongs. Praying for Home.

Laurie in Ca.

 
At 8:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying, praying, and praying!
Lin

 
At 8:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for all of your requests Trish. My heart hurts knowing that you guys are there this thanksgiving and not at home with the rest of your family. God knows what is best for Ash (((hugs))) ~Chan~

 
At 8:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, thank you for sharing specific needs. My prayer was specific for what you laid out in your email.

As I prayed, I'm reminded that you were led to this hospital, led to this team...and I'm going to stand on faith that your meeting with the team and the surgeon...will be led by our Father...that the team's ears will be open to hearing your honest heart, your words will be received with the "right" heart, and that God's will prevail in the decisions for Ashley.

Praying for peaceful days and safe travel for all family members.

Love to you all
Kristi in Texas

 
At 8:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you have heard these verses over and over, but as I was reading the specific prayer requests they came to my mind.

"Cast your cares on the LORD and He will sustain you" - Psalm 55:22

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you" - 1 Peter 5:7

Remember, He is Jehovah Nissi - "The LORD is our banner". He will go before you and Dave during these next few days - and always.

Still praying
-Cari in Arkansas

 
At 8:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying praying praying for yall!

-Liberty University, Lynchburg VA-

 
At 8:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe in the power of prayer and I will pray for your specific needs. Love, Stephanie

 
At 8:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will pray for your specific requests. I'm glad Dave will be able to be there with you. Your last post really spoke to me about trusting God to have the better plan and to leave things up to Him. I missed hearing from you!

 
At 8:59 AM , Blogger JulesSpirit said...

Praying for you and wishing you peace.

 
At 9:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish ~

Will be lifting you up in prayer and praying for these specific needs.

I hope that today is a "Happy Day".

Love, Jule White

 
At 9:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying!
Beth

 
At 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lifting all these requests up to our Heavely Father~~~~~Praying for His Holy intervention for little Ashley and your family. Praying for His will in all things~~
Love and prayers~~~Janiece

 
At 10:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks you for giving us specifics to pray about! We will be lifting them up to our Father, the Great Physisican.

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Will be praying for your specific requests!

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Trish,

You are such a wise and Godly woman. Much prayer is being sent up for your family. Hang in there.

Blessings,
Julie

 
At 10:52 AM , Blogger Mayhem And Miracles said...

We are praying for Ashley's comfort and health (including your specifics) above all else, and for divine peace for you and David, Blake and Allie, plus clear, objective, respectful, compassionate communication between ya'll and the doctors. I know that God is big enough for all of it! He is good and He is listening to many on Ashley's behalf. I pray that above all, what's best for her is what prevails.

 
At 1:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Trish,
I am praying for safe travel for your precious family, clear and effective communication with the doctors, and in increase in Ashley Kate's ability to tolerate her feeds. Thank you for sharing.
Sharon in La.

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger Carey said...

Covering you and Ashley and your family in Prayers.

 
At 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we were going through our "stuff" with Kali, I felt like I was struggling with anxiety, too, and the same verses came to mind. However, my father lovingly advised me that there is a difference between being concerned, which is ok to do, and being anxious. My prayer is that you will find yourself full of concern, and that anxiety will be left at the throne. May you have the wisdom to discern the two. We will be praying for all of the rest as well. Love you all.

 
At 2:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon from Longview...thank you for the update and I love the specific prayer requests. I know God knows all of the specifics...but I like to pray for each one by name. I pray especially for Dave and your family as they will be traveling...and I praying for your financial needs. God is so good to hear and answer those who come to Him in prayer....so we sit back and wait for answered prayers. God Bless you and Ashley today. I pray also for each doctor that is represented from her team...they need to be in tune with God also. Love and many prayers from a faithful follower of Ashley's Story!

 
At 4:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can count on my prayers for all the specifics you mentioned!

Know you are loved!

Shari

 
At 4:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you.

 
At 4:18 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Trish, thank you for posting your specific requests. I will be praying over each one of them. Best wishes for your meeting, and I hope the outcome is wonderful!

Sending love from Texas :)

 
At 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In prayer for you in Arkansas.

 
At 6:52 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Praying and will continue to pray over the next week...I am taking a bit of a break from the computer, but please know that you are ever on our hearts to pray. We love you much in Jesus...and ask His care over you and your precious family.
Holly

 
At 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for the specific requests! Hope you all get some rest tonight.

Blessings,
Lori

 
At 7:42 PM , Blogger Keri said...

I'll be praying.

 
At 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish - we are here, honey! Praying, praying, praying!! I am so glad that you will get to see some of your family although I wish it were under different circumstances.

Hang in there!! I know that is so easy to sy but honey, after all the strength you have shown...if someone can do it, you can do it! You inspire me daily!

Lots of love - Amy and Kyle

 
At 9:27 PM , Blogger The Rutland Family said...

Praying and expecting GREAT things. God is in control!!!
Because He lives we CAN face tomorrow and Friday!
God Bless!
Pam, Rome, Georgai

 
At 10:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

........Sweetie, praying for you and your precious family!.........

 
At 11:18 PM , Blogger Adrienne said...

Dear Trish,
I was given your site through blog world when I put a request out for people to pray for. We pray first for God's peace to fill your hearts and minds as you walk this road together. We pray in agreement for each thing you mentioned in this post, as well. From one mom who has lived the hospital life to another, I pray for your physical well being and strength, because you are right in that we are better moms when we can find refreshing in the Lord. May God provide every one of your needs and surround you with what sounds like a loving community in Texas.
Adrienne in Denver

 
At 12:10 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Praying chain going strong!!!

 
At 9:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for specific requests!!
May God Bless you all!
okla

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home