Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/21/2008

In Dallas and so far so good.


Trish asked me to "bring my toothpaste back." Apparently I inadvertently took it with me when I left on Monday. So in all my rush to get things done today before my flight I moved the toothpaste to the top of the list. I needed to take some things by the CPA and I really wanted to go to the bank and get some cash, but I opted to skip those things so I would have time to get Trish's toothpaste. I bet you can guess what happened next, yep my nemesis, the TSA guys, were there waiting to hassle me at the airport. Just a side note, why do the TSA guys wear those blue gloves? My best guess is that they are afraid they will get Koodies or is it Cooties?, when they are poking around all our stuff. Sorry, back to the story. I thought I had done it all correctly, you know the little plastic bag to hold all the liquids and toothpaste and all. Sorry Trish, but they stole your toothpaste and they stole mine too. I suppose I do look suspicious enough, might have brought down a plane by mixing the two toothpastes together you know. I'm just joking, I really do feel safer having these guys around. I sure am glad the government took over security. The guy on the left did kinda have me and the other passengers freaked out. Who knows what could have happened if the TSA guys hadn't been there.





Well it was really really foggy at the airport today and although I don't have the fear of flying Trish does, the fog did cause me a bit of concern until it happened. The flight attendant came on to welcome us and introduce herself and the crew.....crackle cccrackle screech crackleccle...."Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to flight blah blah blah from Longview to DFW. My name is Mary and your flight crew today is," OK are you ready for this I am not making this up, "Captain Kirk and first officer Rebecca." After a little chuckle I knew I had absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Dang!! we have Captain Kirk driving. A little fog?? Laugh, laugh, we could have fog, rain, hail, tornadoes, hurricanes, monsoons, Clingons, Romulens, whatever, I knew we were gonna be just fine. And not only did we have Captain Kirk, but we also got Rebecca!! The whole package.


We landed in Dallas and did our taxiing around and stopped a mere 12.4 feet from the gate and then............and then.......... and then.........Nothing! Absolutely nothing. After about ten minuets Captain Kirk came on and made the announcement. ....cracckckle cccrackle cracccle...."Ladies and gentlemen we have arrived just short of the gate, we are waiting for the ground people to arrive, we will be delayed a few more minutes." ....crackle cccrackle screech crackleccle.... What the heck is Captain Kirk talking about? We are 12.4 feet away. Just put your phasers on stun and move forward 12 feet dude. Is there a pothole,wormhole, black hole, in the next 12 feet? What is man? Now, the best I can tell we did have a slight problem, yes, the guy with the 2 orange sticks was not there to tell us where to park. However, I did figure that Captain Kirk could have handled this one his own I think what really happened is that sly Captain Kirk was probably up there kissing on Rebecca for the last 10 minutes, yes sir, he always gets the girl.

So now I sit for 3 hours while I wait to hitch my next ride to Omaha. I really am excited about seeing my little pickle. I hear she may come off the vent tomorrow and I am really excited about that. Trish, so sorry about the toothpaste. I will go find a nice restaurant and have a nice meal and prepare myself for the next flight.

I do hope Captain Pickard and first officer William Riker are there to greet me. "Make it so Number One!"

DAVE

PS at the risk of sounding like a Nancy boy I have to say this. Allie received some flowers and balloons at my office today. Those were the prettiest flowers I have ever seen. I know Allie will love them so I am sending my thanks to Florida today.

23 Comments:

At 6:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now if we could just beam Trish up and back down to Longview, she wouldn't have to fly. Done deal!

Prayer Mom

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger Colleen said...

You made me smile.
Praying for the extubation to go smoothly and successfully!

 
At 7:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Dave's ex-"tube"-ation (ha ha ha -- I kill myself) was relatively painless. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hope Ash's goes well, too.

-S

 
At 7:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave ......your a gem. Trish your very blessed. I'm praying for Ashley's extubation to go well. Happy Birthday Allison. Hey Blake how are you? Love you all.
Blessings,
Robin in Florida

 
At 7:23 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Hey Dave,

You crack me up, my husband is a die-hard treckie so I knew what I was reading. Praying here that all goes well for Ashleys procedure and that she is ready to handle it on her own. I think you two are going to be doing some serious partying on your own there while Allie has hers going on.
I know the Lord has all of you covered and is in control. Keep us posted when you can and I love your big type here, it is so easy to read for these eyes!!:) Praying for safe travel for you both.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

This was hilarious - I esp. like Prayer Mom's idea of beaming Trish up and back :) Thanks for the update - sorry about the toothpaste and hope you arive safely to see your two girls! Sunshine

 
At 7:49 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Chris and I are laughing our heads off! Great story. Sorry Trish has had to have no toothpaste. I just bought all new toothpaste, floss and even listerment strips--wish I could transport them to you all!

Love and prayers,
holly

 
At 7:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying in CT. Glad for the humor. Awaiting more blessings and good news.
Heidi

 
At 8:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol..Good one Dave..Praying for safe travels and arrival. Enjoy your 3 days with the littlest pickle. Praying for you all..God Bless..Karen

 
At 8:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh! That was really good, i thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, and so glad the spirit is light! Hoping you all have a blessed weekend-at both your destinations.

 
At 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay well after I stopped laughing long enough I am now able to comment! LOL

I have to say when I opened the journal when I got home and saw that picture I thought i had the wrong blog!! LOL Then my second thought was somehow after I read the story that this picture would represent you and Trish! WOW! LOL I was not able to read for a few minutes though. **still laughing**

Glad that your flight safely arrived at DFW Dave! LOL That 12.5 feet was a very close call!
Praying for the rest of your flight to be just as safe......
Praying for everyone tonight, especially little Ashley.
Thank you for the story...:o) I think we all needed it. ;o)
~Okla

 
At 9:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, you are PRICELESS! If only you had a sense of humor! :P Hope the "switch" goes well and life remains peaceful over the weekend. Can't wait to hear stories from the party!

 
At 10:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughing like crazy here too! Having traveled this week, it was extra funny...my grandma apparently didn't understand what I meant when I kept asking her if she had liquids in her carry on...those TSA guys should have some pretty white teeth after stealing all that toothpaste!

That "ex-'tube'-ation" joke was priceless too!

Laughter is great medicine--have a wonderful night!

=)Amanda

 
At 10:25 PM , Blogger Sunny Day Tag Girl said...

That was GREAT!!! My brother works for TSA... I might have to send him a link... I LOVE to give him a hard time about his job.

Glad things are going smoothly and pray the rest of the switch goes just as well!!!

Happy Birthday Allison!

 
At 10:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for a wonderful weekend for all of you. Trish - Enjoy every moment of the birthday trip and know Ashley will be lifted in prayer continually. Love and blessings, LA

 
At 11:08 PM , Blogger The Dean Family said...

Dave,
That light hearted spirit will take you a long way!!! Praying the rest of your flight goes well.
Trish,
Praying for peace with your flight as well as safety. Praying that the extubation goes without problems.
Praying always!!!
Love,
Angela

 
At 11:11 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Dave: I am cracking up! I can't help it, but I do know the frustration of the airport. And if Trish is anything like me, toothpaste is the most important thing because we probably can't stand the feel of fuzzy teeth. OK, I am so glad you get to see your pickle this weekend. Praying for ya all!

Blessings,

Shari

 
At 11:12 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Oh no, I forgot to say that I am praying Ash's extubation goes well and she is one free chick to breathe on her own. Go Ash!!!

 
At 11:16 PM , Blogger Lee said...

OH come on and admit it-- you know that wasn't tooth paste you were hiding in those two tubes!!!!

Wishing you lots of fun playing with the pickle once that tube's gone tomorrow. We all know that tough spirit of her's will keep her offf that vent!
--Lee

 
At 1:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have arrived safely in Omaha by now. You really have a time flying, huh?? Never know what to expect from the TSA or you~~~lol.

Hope Trish's flight early in the morning goes well for her. The last thing she needs is some jerk (sorry) causing problems for her. Just praying that everything about her flight goes well.

Hope Allie's party will be all that she and Trish have planned and that it will be the best one ever. Enjoy that precious angel for the next few days and we are praying that coming off that vent will be a major turnaround and that there will be absolutely no problems.

Love and prayers~~~~~~~Janiece

 
At 7:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was hilarious! I am so glad you made it safely... Praying for all of you this weekend, and always. God Bless.

 
At 8:35 AM , Blogger Amy T said...

That had to be one of the funniest posts I've ever read! Good one Dave! You have to laugh through that don't you? Or you'll find yourself on the evening news. And making one phone call to Trish, "Uh, honey, there's a little problem..." LOL Glad you made it. Enjoy your weekend with just you and the pickle.

 
At 9:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Capt. Kirk as your pilot? That's too funny! Glad to know you finally made it to Omaha. If Kirk and Rebecca were on your flight where was the transporter to just beam you there?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home