Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/23/2008

More good news today.

We have had a busy morning. We slept in until about 9. I have been wanting to do that for a long time. When I finally did get up I gave Ash a bath and dressed her in a cute little pink ladybug outfit. Next, I began doing the housecleaning. Who would have thought such a small room could get so cluttered. I then stopped and read a few books with Ash. Next, I took my own shower. The plumbing here cracks me up. They are actually shutting down the whole PICU and moving it because of the plumbing. I turned on the shower then I pulled on the knob some more because I was sure I must not have gotten it all the way on. But I had. It was barely spitting any water out. When I climbed in I had to scooch up against the wall to try to get under the pathetic little stream of water. It made me laugh. After my spit shower we moved out the hospital bed and exchanged it for one of the cribs. The good part about this is that it means she is making progress, the bad part is that it is a tight fit when I climb up in the crib with her. Then I pulled our favorite green chair over by her and got to hold her for about 15 min. She began getting a bit restless so I put her back in the crib. Once she was settled back in the crib I rearranged some furniture and gave us a lot more living area. I think I doubled the size of the living room. Next, the Liver team came on rounds. Good News, she is progressing great. The plan is to remove the right chest tube today. The left one has slowed its output greatly and hopefully it will be coming out in the next few days. Her O2 has been weaned down to 1/2 Liter and that is only one small step from being gone. They started her feeds back at 25cc/hour and if she tolerates well for four hours she will go back to full feeds. I know she will do well today. She is going to do all the things they are wanting to see today. After rounds a package came in the mail. I opened it and found 2 cute little surprises for Ash and a special snack for Trish. One of the prizes for Ash was an Alphabet texture book. Ash loves these. I opened the book for her and was surprised to learn that my little gherkin is a speed reader. I didn't know this about her. She did a great job going through each page until she got to the end. She then began reading backwards until she found the F is for Flower page. This is definitely her favorite page. The center of the flower has purple glitter and she loves the run her fingernails over the rough texture. She cracks me up because she doesn't care for the soft fluffy textures, she loves the rough ones. We have read the book 4 or 5 times now and each time she searches until she finds the flower and then hangs out on that page. Thanks Camille, she loves it.

So what is left to do for the rest of the day. Well first I would like to go get some lunch. Then when I return I think I will do her nails. She certainly is in need of a manicure and I will do a pedicure just to keep those toes pretty and pink.

Now I know why we don't always get morning updates from Trish, I started this post this morning and it is about 1:15 and I am just now finishing it. Crazy.

Thanks for your prayers,love and support, it does not go unnoticed (is that really a word?) it helps us more than you will ever know.

As far as pictures go I would love to show you how good she looks, but the camera went back to Texas and won't be back until very late tomorrow night. We will get some when the camera makes it back.

DAVE

9 Comments:

At 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that Ashley is having a great day. I know you and enjoying your time with her. We are all assuming that the Birthday girl is doing great also. Can't wait to hear about that part of the Adams family life also. Isn't it amazing that we have become so attached to a family that we would not even know if we passed you on the street...but you have shared so much along this journey...that we call you family. Have a blessed day and sure hope all goes well with the chest tube. What a special dad you are....manicure and pedicure. All girls should be so blessed!

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger Valarie said...

Praise God for the progress!! He is good!! We will continue to keep lifting her and your entire family up!!

What a great daddy to paint toenails! My man has only attempted it once with VERY minimal success so he surrendered that duty but you go DAVE! ;-)

Hope Trist has a GREAT time with the kids - she deserves it!
Love in Christ -
Val
NC

 
At 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work! You and Trish make a great team!!!

 
At 1:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a special time and how wonderful that Ashley is progressing right along! God is good to allow Trish to know that all is well while she is at home.
We stand amazed at all that is taking place, shake our heads and smile!..and continue to pray in central IL

 
At 1:33 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Fantastic!! She sure is doing great today. How wonderful it is to get these updates throughout the day.

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger Annie said...

I'm glad Ashley's doing so well. What a great dad you are!

 
At 2:19 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

WOOHOO - this post sounds AMAZING! Absolutely amazing that she is doing well - I tell you this little girl is going to sing the praises of God someday - she already is a living, breathing example of His faithfulness and a beautiful little girl that points to an AMAZING creator! I am so glad that Ashley is doing well this weekend and that you got some cuddles in! I bet Trish is having a great time - I cannot wait to hear how Allie's birthday went and all of the sports stuff she will get to see this weekend with Blake and Allie - before long her and Ashley will be home sitting on the sidelines cheering them on! Many prayers on your behalf still - Sunshine

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger Tink said...

I am so very happy to read all you have written today. Ash is getting stronger by the minute, she is healing!!! GO ASHLEY!! YEA!!
I have to make a request here... Please post a picture of her PINK nails! I want to see your handiwork!!!
I am sure they turn out just Perfect!
You are an amazing Daddy!
Brightest Blessings to ALL...

 
At 5:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its such a blessing to hear the Vent has left the room. God has heard all our prayers and has been answering every one of them, even the small ones. Its good news for the heart...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home