Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

2/13/2008

Update

They have just finished the bronchoscopy on Ashley Kate. The lower left lobe and the upper right lobe of her lungs were the primary focus. They were able to remove a considerable amount of very thick white mucus. Ash tolerated the procedure fairly well. Her blood pressure had dropped a little lower than we are comfortable with and is still trying to recover.

Ash has spiked a fever this afternoon of a little over 102 degrees. This may explain why her heart rate is ranging from the mid 170's to the 190's. Again we have sent labs to culture hoping to discover something. It is possible that she has picked up a secondary infection.

The chest tube continues to drain fluid off of her lungs, but there has been a change in the color and consistency of the fluid. The fluid we are removing from the space between the lung and the sac that houses the lung is no longer a pinkish, clear thin fluid. It is now a thick, hazy, milky color. This is not good news.

They need to do some work on Ashley's lines, but have decided to wait until tomorrow. They would like to remove the arterial line from her groin and I am very happy about this. They are also discussing pulling her foley catheter tomorrow. Again I am pleased. Ash is unaware that these things are in place at this point, but it will encourage my heart to know they are not there. They are also planning on removing her central line from the right femoral vein because it was placed directly under her ostomy bag and that is just asking for a line infection. We are hoping to find access in her chest or possibly her jugular vein. Either place would be safer for Ash. Again we will wait until tomorrow. Putting her through all of these changes after the bronch could be too much for her to handle today.

I expect that she will be left alone for the rest of today and be allowed to rest. She continues to be extremely swollen and we are running albumin bolus' to help her pull some of that fluid back into her vessels.

Only two more days until Dave arrives for the weekend. I am looking forward to having him here with us. I'm not sure if the kids are coming with him. We like to let them choose when they visit still trying to keep their lives and activities as normal as possible. Although I would like nothing more than to hang out with them I do not want them to feel guilty or pressured during this time. I'm just missing them. Its hard to believe its only been a week since Ash was first admitted. It seems like we have been away from home forever.

22 Comments:

At 5:07 PM , Blogger William and Andrea said...

Just to let you know I am praying for Ashley Kate always. I have been reading your blog for some time now and my heart breaks for you. Letting you know that you and your family are thought of daily!
God Bless,
Andrea

 
At 5:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trish - I am glad there are some lines that will get to come out, which should prevent infections. It sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Hopefully, they will be able to determine what is causing all of this "yuck," in her lungs.

We are praying. Andy Woodring, teaches my Bible class at LeTourneau University. We lifted you guys up in class today. We will continue to do so....

Love, In Christ-
Amy and Kyle

 
At 5:22 PM , Blogger Colleen said...

I check back every time I get on my computer. Continuing to pray for your sweet girl.
In Christ,
Colleen

 
At 5:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trish, Glad to hear they will be removing some lines. glad that will bring some comfort. Still praying for Ash!

 
At 6:07 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Prayers continuing here for Ashley. I am so grateful that she is not aware of all that is going on right now. I am glad Dave will be there by the weekend for you. Hopefully they will have some answers to the fluids they are pulling out of her. I love her and will be praying for her healing and for you guys to be back home soon.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to read Ashleys getting some lines out. She is so beautiful!
My first granddaughter will be born soon,please say a little prayer for her.
An Alabama Grandmother

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Yes a long week--but indeed a week of miracles. Looking to the LORD to continue to keep His eye and Hand upon Ashley. Lord, heal her completely. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

 
At 7:37 PM , Blogger Annie said...

Today is the first time I have visited your blog. First off, I want you to know that I will be praying for Ashley, you, and your entire family. I had so many emotions as I read this post. I cried as it brought back memories of how I felt after my son had his brain surgery. (I am telling you this in an attempt to be encouraging, not to make you feel worse.) I understand what you are going through watching your baby suffer and missing your other kids at the same time. Missing your husband because he has to work and can't be with you at the hospital...wishing he was there for support. Wishing every time you look at your baby that you could take away all their suffering. That you would give anything in the world to take it away. Longing to hold your soft, warm baby in your arms. I know how it hurts your heart. I also know how exhausting it is to be in the hospital...physically and emotionally. I am praying for you about all these things. If you ever need to talk to someone who understands, my email is annie.and.isaac@gmail.com My sons blog is lovejoelr.blogspot.com I will be checking back here for updates.

Blessings,
Annie

 
At 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to let you know that you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. I'm not very good with words in these situations but I'm sure the Lord knows what's going on and will provide whatever is necessary as He sees fitting.

Meanwhile, your sharing is an inspiration and it is a blessing to see such love and such faith so articulately expressed. I think most of us would rather endure pain ourselves than see those we love so much suffer. I guess it is a microcosm of the love which prompted the unimaginable sacrifice Jesus made on the cross.

We'll keep praying.

 
At 8:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We prayed for Ashley at church today. I'm glad you had some good news today. I'll continue to pray for you and your family. Love, Stephanie

 
At 8:34 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

We are praying - thank you so much for the updates. I hope you have a peaceful evening! Sunshine

 
At 8:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little Ashley, I feel like I know you by heart now. Your mommy is doing such a good job of being your mommy and sharing your story with the world. You are always at the top of my prayer list several times a day. You have no idea how many lives you have touched.

It is good news, hearing how the doctors are breathing life into your lungs, keeping you safe until your body recovers. And I know that God has more plans for you, more prayers to answer.

Sleep tight.

 
At 9:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a strong little girl. & the LORD is with you... So many people pray for you all. I hope you all sleep well tonight! All our graces are yours!

 
At 9:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying for you and your family Trish. Happy for the good things that happened today! Praying that Ashley has a short-lived fever and that her labs will tell what is going on. Praying for all this to come to an end and for you and Ashley to be able to go home and rejoin your family! Praying for peace to find you and your family always!
May God Bless you all
~Okla

 
At 9:52 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Chest tube drainage often takes time. I pray that they will not need to be there too long, but don't lose heart if they do. I thought Morgan's would never stop... and we, too experienced the "milky white/yellowish" substance. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask. It almost seems silly to try and offer you advice (you are so knowledgeable) but, still, I just want to be open to help in any way I can. We're always praying. She's never far from our thoughts.

 
At 9:55 PM , Blogger Amy said...

By the way, our white substance was called "Chyl"... it was from a Chylothorax (sp?). I don't know if that's what you're describing... but if so, it's something I have some knowledge of.

 
At 10:13 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Continuing to pray for sweet Ashely. I hope you both have a good night.

Blessings,
Julie

 
At 10:17 PM , Blogger The Adoption Of William said...

Praying for answers, praying for peace, praying for the long term health of this sweet baby. My prayer time with the Lord tonight will shift from this and that to Ashley as the sole focus. I pray tomorrow has a better outcome.

With much Love and Hope,

Jen-William's Mom

www.specialneedsbaby.blogspot.com

 
At 10:36 PM , Blogger A Good Kinda Crazy said...

praying...

 
At 11:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying and thinking about you tons....Mistie

 
At 12:46 AM , Blogger The Dean Family said...

Trish,
I can imagine how nice it will be to have Dave there this weekend. I am still praying with great ferver. Keep on keeping on!
Love you all,
Angela

 
At 8:52 AM , Blogger Dk's Wife said...

As before, I am continuing to pray for your little one.

I hope she makes a turnaround very soon!

God Bless!

Kay

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home