Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

3/13/2008

Together


Dave,

I woke early this morning to care for Ashley Kate and my heart stung just a little as I realized that we were not going to be together. 15 years in this partnership is something I was so looking forward to celebrating. Today was going to be special and I was hoping to show you just how much you are appreciated and loved. Then as the tears started to well up I realized just how together we ARE today. Maybe not logistically, but more importantly in these ways:

Together we have grown up. From 18 year old babies who were determined to say "I do" to the middle aged "kids" we are now. Remember the look on our parents faces the night we told them we were planning on doing this? I can't imagine getting to this place in my life without you.

Together we are growing old, and contrary to what one may think about aging it really is quite fun since we are doing it together.

Together we are dreaming. Not just dreaming, but dreaming big for our lives. It is so rewarding as we watch them begin to come true.

Together we are building a business. A business that serves our community, that truly cares for our patients, and that points to Jesus in all that you do inside that clinic. I am so proud to be your partner in this endeavor and to see the amazing way that you light up as you achieve individual goals with each of the families we are blessed to care for. I am so glad we are doing this together.

Together we became parents. Not just any parents, but parents to 3 of the best kids in the world. What a JOY it is to be parenting them together with you. You truly are the most incredible father I have ever seen.

Together we had a son. Look at him! I could have never imagined how great he would make our life together. I remember the look on your face the first time I saw you hold him. I knew we were going to do a great job with him because the three of us would be together. I am so proud that he is growing up to be just like you. His character is a reflection of your heart and that heart reflects Christ. Thank you so much for making him with me. If we had never gotten together I would have never known the joy of having him for my son. I love you for this!

Together we are raising a young lady. Her beauty astounds me. Her humor reminds me of you every day. Her stubborn streak shines my reflection right back at me and I can't help but smile because although I know it is difficult on some days it still excites me because I know it will help her become an amazing woman. Who would have thought that together we could create someone as wonderful as Allison Brooke?

Together we chose our sweet Ashley Kate. Together we prayed for this child. Our miracle baby. Together we cried night after night as she lay in a hospital bed never knowing how it felt to be touched by her mommy's hands or kissed on her forehead by her daddy. Together we sought to make her ours. Together we went to places I never knew existed. Together we sat in that car and prayed for God to show us where to search. Together we walked into that courthouse. Together we tiptoed into that NICU and fell in love. Together we rocked, and sang, and prayed for our daughter. Together we brought her home. Together we chose to give her more time. We handed her to that surgeon in hopes of having a little more time with this baby girl. God is so good. He has given us 2 and 1/2 years. Together we gave her back to Him. Together we seek to give her all that she deserves to have and so much more. Together our goal is for this child we prayed for to be happy and oh, she is so, so happy. You love her like I have never seen and the joy in her eyes when you come into the room melts my heart and causes me to love this life of ours together more and more. Thank you for being together with me on this one. Our lives have been so blessed.

Together we serve our God. So many fun memories of kids camp, of children's church, of service. I look forward to having those opportunities with you again. Together we are raising our children to be the hands and feet of Jesus to a lost and hurting world. Just look at the way they love their sister! No boundaries in their hearts.

Together we cheer them on. From baseball fields to soccer games to hospital rooms. The five of us are a team and what fun we have together. Did you ever imagine how good it would feel to watch him hit it over for the first time? What about seeing her score those goals last weekend? Remember the feeling we had the first time Ashley Kate said, "My momma" with the sweetest voice we had ever heard? I look forward to listening for that voice to return someday. We will be there together as she learns to speak and I long to hear her say, "Daddy".

Together we laugh. We cry. We pray. We hurt. We live. 15 years of being together and it just gets better and better and better. I love you Dave. Everyday for the last 15 years and everyday for the next 15 and the next 15 and the next 15 right into eternity. We will go there together and what a joy it will be to know that we have chosen to follow Jesus together. There is no other that I have ever loved as much as I love you. If our son grows to be a man like his father, and our daughters are blessed to marry a man like their daddy then I will sit back and thank God for blessing our lives and for allowing us to "grow up "together.

I'm looking forward to seeing you again. To laughing with you some more. To watching you tuck our sweet Ashley Kate into her crib. To holding your hand as I fall asleep on our first night back home. How I wish for that night to come sooner rather than later. Happy Anniversary Dave, even though we aren't together its nice to know that we REALLY are. Life is better for me because we are together. I love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home