Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

11/19/2006

In Memory

I am so humbled each time I look at my Ashley and I realize that she is not only representative of one tiny life but now two. As I was playing with Ash by her Christmas tree this morning and showing her all of her special ornaments I began telling her about each one and who had given them to her. She was listening to me so intently and watching them all sparkle in the lights. All of a sudden the most beautiful thought came to me. Each ornament on her tree tells the story of someone who loves her. How precious would it be to have an ornament that told of the little one who gave Ashley her second chance at life and representated the love that went into the gift that she received. I was so excited at the thought of hanging this honorary ornament in memory of our baby donor that I got right up and went to order it. I immediately knew which ornament it had to be. I went to the James Avery websight and found the silver angel ornament. I am having it engraved with the the words,"In memory of a tiny life, who gave so much" Sept. 26, 2006. I can't wait to show it to Ash this year and every year as she grows up and learns of the gift our donor family gave to her. My heart is glowing with excitement as I wait for it to arrive. I have also ordered 3 more tiny angel charms to hang on her tree to represent the little lives we have witnessed leaving this place while we have been here. I never want to forget those precious babies and those who loved them so much. I have learned so much in this place and I know that life is a gift. Nothing promised or earned, just a magnificent gift from the One who loves us. Our children are so very precious and valuable. Each day that they are with us is nothing short of amazing.

My Ashley is feeling so very good today and my heart has been so blessed as we have played together. She looks wonderful and I am so sad about sending her back to the OR tomorrow. I am hopeful that all will go well and that she will return without the breathing tube. She is resting this afternoon and I pray that along with this rest her tiny body is gaining strength for tomorrow.

The blood drive in honor of Ashley was this afternoon. Thank you to all who took part and gave so willingly the gift of life. Ashley and so many others are alive today because people have been willing to share their blood. Dave told me how big and scary the needles were. I laughed at him and Sammy as they raced to see whose blood would flow the fastest. They are now trying to re-coop from the whole "ordeal" by laying around and watching football. I hope they will have enough strength to get up and find themselves some dinner. Ashley is definitely tougher than her Daddy! She now laughs in face of any needle they approach her with. She is such a "pro"!

Thank you guys for loving Ash today. I would be so grateful for your prayers for her tomorrow as they make the 3rd attempt to place this silly feeding tube. This is her last chance of doing it the "easy" way. I am praying for success.

3 Comments:

At 5:55 PM , Blogger Troy and Melanie said...

We will be praying for Ashley's upcoming surgery. I know how stressful it must be for you all every timeyou even hear that word again. Dare I say 3rd time is a charm....well I hope and pray it is anyway.

What a wonderful idea to place an ornament on Ashley's tree for her tiny baby donor. Each tiny life, God has a plan for, even the ones that are here ever so briefly. We are so thankful for Ashley's second chance, and pray that God will continue to touch the lives of all who hear about her story.

Our prayers will continue throughout today and especially tomorrow for Ashley's upcoming surgery as well as David's travel on Tuesday, I bet you can't hardly wait for him to get there. We love you guys!!

 
At 7:49 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'm praying that the third time's a charm!

And your Christmas ornament idea is wonderful; I hadn't thought about getting a special "heart" one to remember our baby daughter's heart surgery this summer until reading this post. Thank you:)

 
At 9:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful idea to place an ornament in honor of Ashley's sweet little donor. I love it :O).

I also loved hearing about Ashley's Christmas Cave in the last post ~ I am so glad you're able to celebrate our Savior's birth there in her room.

We'll be praying for Ash tonight and tomorrow!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home