Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

11/17/2006

Play That Funky Music White Boy"

OK, so where do I start. I am not much for being alone. I don't really care for being alone. I always come home for lunch, but today the kids and Nan left for Oklahoma and I didn't want to go home to an empty house so I had lunch with a friend and that was very enjoyable. Thanks Sam. After work I went to help out with the AMBUCS garage sale and that was fun. I enjoyed being around old freinds and making some new ones. At the end of the garage sale I decided to buy a golf caddy that had not yet sold, you know that thing with wheels that holds your golf bag. The funny thing is that I have not golfed in over 5 years and didn't plan on golfing anytime soon. However the price was right and mine was falling apart so I bought it. Sue, Ashley's physical therapist, was there and she saw me buying the golf caddy and invited me to go golfing with her tomorrow. I accepted, and I am glad she invited me. The only problem is she has been taking lessons,and I have never really been good at it, so tomorrow I am thankful I will provide a good laugh for Sue.

At around 6:30 I was on my home and was feeling a little hungry. I am very tired, but I am sick of eating Taco Bell, Burger King and Fazollis so I decided I would just go home and cook something. I am not the best cook in the world, but I do like to experiment. I was not really interested in cooking a big meal, but in fact that is the only way I know how to cook. I don't cook from a recipe, I use a CD. Tonight I found one I made a while back called "Travel Music." It was a collection of songs I made after a Caribbean cruise Trish and I took a number of years ago with some friends.

I found a few pumpkins in the kitchen and my favorite thing to eat this time of year is baked pumpkin seeds. So I started my dinner with pumpkin seeds and some soft caribbean music. Things were great. Then I decided to try out the french fry cutter. After I cut the potatoes I realized that I don't like to eat geasy fried foods so I tossed in a few spices and put them in the oven. By this time I am starting to get my groove on because the CD is playing the YMCA. Now if you know me you know I can't sing, and I certainly can't dance, however the YMCA is planying so you have to do it. I closed the kitchen door so nobody could see me from the road and began dancing. If I have to be all alone I might as well get my groove thing going. SCARY!!! I now have the pumpkin seeds and the potatoes in the oven and I got things happening in the grooving department.

I am beginning to realize that pumpkin seeds and baked potatoes shaped like french fries are not exactly dinner. I need a meat. Everything is frozen, and I don't want to take the time to thaw anything. I looked around for awhile and I found some shrimp. Yeah, shrimp, that doesn't take too long to thaw. So I get out the shrimp and began to rinse it. I loose track of time for awhile as now the CD is playing "Play that funky music white boy." You should see me, I am now taking up half the kitchen with my ridiculous dancing! I decide that the best thing to do with the shrimp is to make shrimp scampi. That sounds really good, but I am still tired and I don't want to mess with crushing the garlic, so I stray from the plans a bit. I have the butter, white whine vinegar and lemon in, but I just don't want to do the garlic so I decide to change Shrimp scampi into a mexican dish. I add some chili powder and Chili con limon. Hey!!!! this is sounding pretty good.


BUZZZZZZZ... the alarm is going off and it is time to check the pumpkin seeds. I have an idea. I love pumpkin seeds, and I love shrimp scampi(or whatever it is I am cooking). How about I put some pumpkin seeds in with the shrimp to give it a little texture? Now I know what most of you are thinking and you are right. This was a really stupid idea! However by this time "HOT HOT HOT" was playing on the CD and I was so overcome by my awesome dance moves that I must have been temporarily insane. I think the heat was getting to me or something. I threw in a bit of leftover corn and rice with the shimp and it was almost time to eat. The phone rang and it was Trish and she asked "what are you doing?"

"Cooking."

"Still ?!!? you have been cooking for two hours"

OK, I told you I was not very good at this. How is it that a woman can cook a wonderful meal in 15 minutes and I have been cooking for 2 hours and all I have is some kind of weird shrimp and a bunch of pumpkin seeds?

I got lost somewhere between the "Macarana" and the "Tootsie Roll!" Slide to left...Slide the right.... to the front... to the back... now dip baby dip, dip baby dip.

I think tomorrow I will just go to taco bell.

You guys have a wonderful night and thank you for checking in on our Gherkin.

Goodnight,

DAVE

2 Comments:

At 11:28 PM , Blogger Troy and Melanie said...

Just wanted to let you guys know that we are still praying. We have a teething kiddo, and a kiddo with bronchitis.....so I have been busy taking care of my two cranky kiddos today.....thus my reason for not posting sooner. Excuses, excuses. Just know that each time you guys pop into our heads, which is quite often, we say a prayer for all of you. We will be praying for better days to come soon, I am glad that you are going to be there on Tuesday to help Trish through some of these decisions. Take care you guys, Much love and prayers!

 
At 11:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish.....I didn't realize.....LOL (Dave...you are ...TOO funny.) Creative though....but I somehow DON'T think we will see your dinner creation....on the Food network anytime soon. LOL Oh well...I got a laugh out of it & have a smile on my face. Good luck with the golf game. (=

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home