Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

11/14/2006

Time Change

You never know around here if you might get moved up or bumped down on the schedule. We have been bumped to a 3:30 time slot this afternoon instead of the 1:00 in the OR. I am just taking it as it comes convinced that there is a reason for the new time slot. Maybe our surgeon just needs to get warmed up before tackling my Ashley's insides. No matter if you are praying at 1:00 or 3:30 for Ash I know that the Father will be listening.

If you could see our sweet girl this morning she would have you in stitches. I promise this is not the same little girl we had over the weekend. She doesn't even look like she belongs in here except for that silly ventilator. She has everyone on their toes this morning. She is full of trouble and causing plenty of it. If you wear a badge around your neck on this floor then Ash believes it belongs to her. The funny thing is that most who come into our room know this and allow her to take theirs off their necks and play with them. She has been through all of her toys this morning and when she is done she tosses it off the side of the bed and on to the floor. If only she could vocalize at this point. She would be letting us have it. She wants to go over to see her Christmas tree, but the vent wont stretch that far and neither will the cord on her lights. She is stretching her little arms as far as they will reach trying to get to it. Boy does she have energy this morning. She grabbed her blankets and pulled them over her head to play peek a boo. She pulled the syringe off of her g-tube and allowed her meds to leak all over the place. She has successfully rearranged the tubing on the vent to cause it to alarm every few minutes driving us all crazy. She taunts us by wrapping her little hands around the breathing tube just waiting for us to catch her. When we do she begins to shake her head "no, no" at us causing us all to laugh at her determination to show us who is calling the shots around here. She has picked the corner of her ostomy bag off and is now requiring a new one. I tell you I could go on and on and on. Oh yeah, she is now showing us that she is too smart for us to hide the ports to her line under a blanket. If she so chooses then she will hold all three of those ports in her little hand for as long she would like. I know that I should try and parent her a little and curve some of this stubborness, but I am just over joyed as I watch her come back. She makes me laugh deep in my soul and the joy just spills out on my face. I am so thankful she is feeling better and I love to see her giving them all fits.

I am not looking forward to watching her start all over on the recovery process after this little procedure. Remember this should be equivalent to a "hang nail" as far as surgeries go, but the memory of the last attempt is still fresh in our minds. I am praying that He has a different outcome planned this time. Thank you all for loving her and for taking the time to pray for her. It means so very much. I will post after she comes out of surgery. Have a great day. Trish

6 Comments:

At 12:28 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

We'll be praying here in TX not only at 3 p.m., but every hour until bedtime! Our church did that for us during my daughter's heart surgery, and it was so reassuring to know that every hour of her recovery was bathed in prayer.

 
At 1:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Ashley! Give 'em what you've got, little one. It makes my heart sing to think of you being a little rascal after seeing what you went through all last week. I'm praying for you today as you have your surgery. I'm also praying for the doctors and nurses and mommy and everyone else that's dealing with you as you're being awnry. Keep up the good work, girl. Let them all know you're the boss, ok? I love you Gherkin! Hugs from Grandma

 
At 1:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It just warms my heart to hear about her stubbornness ~ I LOVE it! I've been praying for her since 1pm and wanted to see if there was anything new. So, I'll be praying for her at 3:30 as well... and probably a million other times today. I know it should be a simple surgery... Morgan has a Mic-Key button, but anytime they perform a procedure, it's not simple to us moms at all :O). My heart aches over a bump on my child's head... how much more when she's in surgery. Thinking of yall and praying hard!

 
At 1:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always say a quick prayer before I get on your website hoping and praying for some good news. I was smiling as I read this today and could just picture what all she was doing. Thank you, God, that she is fiesty and having fun. We'll all be praying this afternoon and look forward to a good report. Stay Strong!

 
At 2:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an honor to stand before the Throne of Grace for the Gherkin!!!! I am so proud that she is giving everyone fits!!!! Just makes me smile all over. The Great Physician is in control and He will guide the surgeon's hands and provide for Ashley exactly what she needs . . . at that same time He will be comforting you, Trish . . . and you, Dave, as your daughter takes her next step towards her Texas home. We're praying and expecting a miracle.

 
At 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I logged on to see how the surgery went. Now there is a reason to continue the specific prayers again! I shared part of your story in class today and now you will have prayer support from several college students as well! I am just thrilled to hear how Ashley is giving everyone a hard time. Tell her when it's time that I will vote for her as President!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home