Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/30/2007

Belly Laughs

If you are a parent I probably don't need to explain. You know it. You have heard it. If you are not a parent, just wait. It is one of the best parts of this job. You'll hear it. Someday for sure. Today was my day. Its the kind of laughter that comes from the deepest part of your child. Pure JOY! It just explodes in the form of a contagious laughter that in turn causes you to laugh just as hard. Sometimes it overtakes your children in the most inappropriate places (like the middle of a Sunday morning message, or in the stall in a rest room next to a particularly noisy one). Sometimes it can be over heard from the other room while you are busy doing ordinary tasks such as preparing dinner or folding laundry. It always makes me pause and say Thank you when I hear Blake and Allie overcome by it. Nothing I say can properly describe the way your heart feels as you listen to one of your children get caught up in an episode of belly laughter. My nephew Jake has one of the best ones you will ever hear. I love it when I visit with my sister on the phone and he falls into it.

Well today was Ashley's first experience with it. I can not tell you how wonderful it was to experience it with her. She smiled so big I thought her cheeks would surely pop! She laughed so hard it scared her. I got so tickled at her. I was turning her in circles. I would go one way, then the other, then back again. She laughed and laughed and laughed. It was priceless! I am so blessed by this little girl. She is truly wonderful.

Today has been a good day. We have rested and played. She looks really good right now(outside of those steroid cheeks!). I can tell she is feeling so much stronger. We will go down to procedures on Friday at 1:00. They will attempt our 5th tube placement. We are trying to figure out a way to have it placed without putting Ashley on the ventilator. She is breathing so well. Her lungs sound completely clear. I hate to jeopardize her breathing status, but it may not be avoidable. Once the tube is placed we should begin feeding her later that evening. I am not sure if our breast milk will be delivered before next week, but they are working on it. Our prayer is that somehow, some way, Ashley will not begin vomiting. We pray she will tolerate feeds and that all the struggles will be behind her allowing us to avoid a very dangerous and invasive operation. I know that God can do this. I believe He could. Please join us as we pray for solutions to her struggles.

What a gift her laughter is. God is the giver of good and perfect gifts and today I definitely received one. I am so blessed. Thanks for sharing in my joy. I pray your evening might contain a few belly laughs that make you pause and say Thank you for such perfect gifts. Love you guys, Trish.

11 Comments:

At 3:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your post on "belly laughs" brought a smile to my face. Laughter is a wonderful gift from God. So glad you all are having a great day!

Praying for all of you,
Lori

 
At 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason I forgot I had to go to the store before coming home, so I came on home and now have to go back. It was so I could get on here and find out about Gherkin's laughter! WHAT A BLESSING! Oh, how I wish I could see her do that. Hopefully it won't be long. I'm so excited for you today! Last week when we were there she wasn't even smiling and now laughter?! What an awesome gift from the Father. My heart is overflowing and I'm counting her smiles and laughs as HUGE blessings for today. Love and Hugs, Grandma

 
At 4:41 PM , Blogger Krista said...

Those laughs are the best--I love hearing good news when she is all smiles... that means she doesnt have a care in the world and she allows you to do all of the worrying..Gotta love parenting.. Glad to hear you are having a great day and will Pray for the procedure to go well.

 
At 6:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that you both had such a great day!! I hope to hear some of those belly laughs later tonight.
Jaka

 
At 8:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a joy that brings to my heart to know that Ashley is making positive progress. I will continue to keep her in our prayers for a continuation of more belly laughs and positive progress. You are right there is nothing like hearing your children being overcome with joy. It is such a precious sound. My daughter, Melissa Mackey does not have access to the computer so she was asking me tonight how Ashley is doing. Dave used to give Melissa adjustments while she was pregnant with Katelyn. Katelyn is now six months old and growing like a weed. All children are such a wonderful gift from the heavenly Father. Well, take care and know you are all in our prayers continually. Love and blessings your way, Cindy Adams

 
At 8:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the belly laughs ~ they are truly wonderful! And the "steriod cheeks"... well, at least they're puffy and squishy ~ great for kissing! (as I'm sure you well know!) I am so glad to hear you both had a good day. We are continueing to pray for upcoming procedures.

 
At 8:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the belly laughs ~ they are truly wonderful! And the "steriod cheeks"... well, at least they're puffy and squishy ~ great for kissing! (as I'm sure you well know!) I am so glad to hear you both had a good day. We are continueing to pray for upcoming procedures.

 
At 8:59 PM , Blogger Jeff Dowdle said...

I am glad you had a great day.

We are praying for you

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

I actually admit to laughing out loud at this email. I can almost picture sweet Ashley laughing...what a great sound, it is by far my favorite...that and listening to the soft sounds of their breathing while they are contentedly sleeping on my chest...*sigh* happy's...Praying everything goes without a hitch for the tube as well as the feeding!

 
At 9:13 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I think I was smiling the entire time while reading this, picturing her belly laughing. That must've been a HUGE pick-me-up!

I'm praying HARD for Friday, that all goes smoothly, that there's no need for a vent, that the breastmilk arrives early, and that she vomits no more.

Sending hugs from TX :)

 
At 1:08 AM , Blogger Jenny said...

Belly laughs! What an incredible blessing! I'm so glad to hear that Ash is feeling good. Hearing about the spitting and belly laughs sure brought a smile to my face! I'll be praying for her procedure on Friday.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home