Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/30/2007

Mary Poppins

My sweet Ashley has NO intention of sleeping tonight. This child is absolutely exhausted! As I type she is happily sitting behind me with her "carpet" bag. She reminds me of Mary Poppins. Have you ever seen the movie? The part where Mary opens up her bag and begins to pull out everything under the sun? I fully expect to see Ashley pull out an umbrella at any minute to keep her nice and dry from the SPIT storm she is creating above her head. Honestly, she just loves to spit. Ashley's red diaper bag is full to the brim with every type of toy you could imagine. She doesn't want me to hand her a toy. She wants me to sit the entire bag next to her so that she can reach down inside and pull out prize after prize. So far I have seen her pull out a telephone, a camel, a DVD, a box of Tic Tacs, a baby, a syringe(unused and in the package of course), a book about Jesus, a bunny, a hairbrush, and a skirt. Who packs this bag anyway? This child is so funny. As she finds more and more treasures she growls and spits. She has begun to draw a crowd this evening. I wish she would behave more like a princess, but I am afraid it is going to take more than a crown to teach her what her role is supposed to be. Please, please pray that I will be able to mold this little one's heart into one of a young lady and not a nasty, spitting pirate. My friend Regina is threatening to mail her a patch! I am sure this will not match her crown.

The point of this post is to share with all of you how very good my Ashley Kate is feeling tonight. She is more than ornery and is causing more trouble than you can imagine. She has managed to pull the baby in the mirror off of her crib and onto her head. She got a real close up of that beautiful baby. She has kicked off her bunny slippers and they are now residing on the floor. She is chewing on a Blues Clues DVD and leaving teeth marks on it. She has slammed the lid to her DVD player closed on her fingers tips and is now giving our respiratory therapist a hard time as she attempts to give her some breathing treatments. Poor lady, she has no idea who she is up against. I hope to be able to wrestle this little one at some point in to my arms and cuddle her in our chair. Honestly, I don't know if I have enough energy to win.

If you saw my Ashley you would think to yourself, "Why are they here. This child doesn't look ill." Unfortunately it has been 17 weeks tonight since my Ashley has eaten. She is still on a full diet of TPN and lipids. She has much more to accomplish before being allowed to leave this place and sometimes it seems impossible. I wish I could tell you that I knew what her future held, but all I can tell you is that I know the One who knows what my Ashley's future will be. I trust Him with her and that is all I can do. I am hoping to get her to settle down for awhile and then rock her until she falls asleep. I wonder if she has any NyQuil in her "carpet bag"? Just kidding, Dave! Thanks so much for coming to Ashley's story tonight. We truly appreciate your prayers for our little Mary Poppins. Good night.

11 Comments:

At 11:16 PM , Blogger Troy and Melanie said...

I feel awful, there is not even one excuse relatively good enough for not posting to at least let you know we are still praying!! I hope that you know your are in our thoughts and prayers all throughout the day and night. I am so thankful for all the people coming to your site, especially the ones that write notes of encouragement.

We are thankful that she is doing good and back to her awnry self. Stay strong, and know we are praying even though we haven't posted to tell you so....

Much love and prayers!!

 
At 11:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't sleep - maybe too many cappucinos (ha!), so I came to check on Ashley. Sounds so good to hear her laughing and playing. Now, we just need to have her "eating." Thanks for the updates so that we continue our prayers. Love to hear about those good days! You needed that today. Rest well........

 
At 1:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Mary Poppins movie. If Ashley doesn't have an umbrella I will send her one! She must have one but I'm not sure even if she could open it, how she could keep all that spit from dropping right back on her~~~lol. I just love to hear about all the mischief she gets into cause you have to be feeling pretty good to do that. Thank You, Lord, for Ashley having such a good time. She may even need a larger "carpet bag" so she can add to her collection.

Trish, I really do hope you have managed to get her cuddled up close to you by now and are both getting some restful sleep. I pray that little Mary Poppins is having beautiful dreams and will sleep all night so that mommy will get much deserved rest. I am especially praying for the procedure on Friday, the breastmilk to come and for the feedings. Praying that it is His will that all of these things will fall into place so that the TPN can finally be stopped. That would be such a victory. Hear our prayers, Oh Lord, for it is all for Your Glory, in Jesus Precious Name...Amen.

P.S. Talked to your mom tonight and found out why I haven't been able to get her on her cell phone. Kinda hard to do when she is here and her phone is Omaha..lol I love to hear her laugh. Bye for now

 
At 7:21 AM , Blogger Paige said...

What a spunky little princess she is! Glad to hear that she interested in getting into things. You all remain in our prayers. Have a great day!

 
At 7:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how it must make God smile to look down and see the JOY that little Ashley is bringing...

 
At 8:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the thought of her pulling such random things from her "carpet bag". it's always interesting to see what's in the bottom of our diaper bag ~ cheerios, washcloths (sometimes snotty), hotwheels (keep in mind this is a 2yr old little girl)... it's too fun! I pray that Ashley's day today only gets better!

 
At 8:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a precious and uplifting this post was....nothing shy of how God continues to work a miracle in Ashley's life. Praying for you today and that God will continue to bless you and your family. We also ask that God provide the breastmilk tomorrow so you can get over one more hurdle to get to where you need to be. God Bless You!

 
At 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You about gave me a heart attack with the NyQuil comment. Then I read the Just kidding DAVE! You are just to funny, I love you.

 
At 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God, praise God, praise God and thank you Lord! What an awesome God we serve, the Great Physician. What a blessing He has given us to give Ashley the gift of laughter. It is truly amazing to see how much our Father has accomplished in her in just two weeks and so many miracles He has done in her life! I just can't stop praising and as I do I'm already praising Him for what He's going to do in the future. Praying for Friday's procedure and for the feedings to go well with the breast milk and for her to get better and better minute by minute, day by day until she finally gets back home to Texas. We miss both of you girls! Love and Hugs, Grandma

 
At 10:52 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

She is the most wonderful little thing, ever :)

 
At 11:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that Ashley is feeling SO well and you are getting to hold her and play and enjoy all that great spunk! I pray her procedure Friday goes well and doesn't keep her down too long. Ashley's health is ALWAYS the first thing the kids ask for when they pray, after they have all of their "forgive me's" taken care of.

Can you believe I've never seen Mary Poppins? It sounds funny; I think I may rent it this weekend for Morgan and I to enjoy our girl time.

Give Ashley a kiss from all of us!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home