Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/24/2007

Struggling to Keep her Crown

So sorry for the late update. I typed one couple of hours ago and when I went to post,POOF!, it was gone. The blogger server was down and has just become available again. So I will try to remember all that I said.

The main discussion during rounds centered on Ash's fluid status. Looking at her today I thought for sure they had filled her tank. Her face is puffy and round and she looks too full to me, but her labs still showed that she is too dry. Her BUN was a 17 and this is not the number we had hoped to see this morning. Although I am very concerned about putting so much fluid in her so quickly the team decided to increase her feeds and her TPN to 30. I am frightened that they will go too far the other direction now and that we are going to start struggling to breathe again. This is such a dangerous balancing act! We had hoped that most of Ashley's agitation was coming from the dehydration, but today we see that it is primarily withdrawal from the narcotics. She is miserable. My heart is broken for her as she struggles with the most extreme withdrawal I ever seen her go through. She is literally ripping handfuls of her hair out. She is almost entirely bald on the left side. I tried to explain to the surgeon that she was going to lose all of her hair and become bald if we didn't figure something out soon. His reply, "Bald isn't too bad. My boss is bald and he looks pretty good." I replied,"Your boss isn't meant to be a princess, and Ash is struggling to keep her crown on without any hair!" He laughed and warned me not to tell his boss he was not a princess. I'm not afraid of his boss and I would gladly take our plight to him.

All in all her kidneys are working but they are not happy. The surgeon told me that happy kidneys come before beauty and although I agree with him I am struggling to see her go through all of these extreme changes. I am worried about how these massive fluid fluctuations will affect her body. I know it can't be good on her.

As long as she is sleeping she is ok. As soon as she wakes the whimpering and the hair pulling begin. Our only hope for her to keep that crown on is to place a large bow under it to hold it up on her bald head. I will adjust to her new look. It's just been a very tough week. I am trying to keep her room as quiet, as dark, and as peaceful as you possibly can in all the hustle and bustle of a PICU. I pray that she will begin to feel better and better in the coming days.

Thank you for praying for her kidneys. It looks as though we might have dodged the dialysis machine. I appreciate each and every prayer you have sent on her behalf. It means so very much to know that you care.

P.S.
Thanks Krista for the fabulous bow and p.j.s. The monogramming is so Ashley.

9 Comments:

At 3:48 PM , Blogger Krista said...

I am so glad you got them, I thought of PRincess Ashley when I found that website. I will eventually have to get her a pink one! I know today is difficult for you but you have faced much worse. Please remember God is in control and he has brought her this far and kept her here with you. We will continue to Pray for her body to level out so she can start to "growl" again. Sleep little Princess so you can get better. Leave it in God's hands.

 
At 4:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for your family as you walk this long journey with so many obstacles in it at times. We pray that the withdrawals will subside and that Ashley will begin to heal. We also pray for all the fluid situations that are going on in her little body. May your faith continue to stay strong as you have so ministered to so many people by your trust in your Heavenly Father. You and your family are amazing and we know you draw your strength from HIM. God Bless you and get some rest!

 
At 4:03 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Trish--what a constant roller coaster you are on! I'm happy for the good news but will continue praying that the hydrating balance can be achieved quickly. Love in Him, Karen

 
At 4:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart is breaking for our little Ashley and my praying is without ceasing. Heavenly Father, as you care for Ashley today, Lord, please help her to get through this withdrawal process in record time. Dear Lord, I'm pleading with you to help her sleep and rest and heal. I know it is within your power to calm her little body and I'm lifting her up to you this very minute, trusting in You for her comfort and peace. Thank you for all you're doing in her life and thank you for allowing us to come to you and for the assurance that you hear our prayers and answer them. I pray that you give Trish exactly what she needs to care for Ashley, too. We're placing all our trust in you, knowing you love them both in Jesus name! Amen

 
At 5:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully Princess Ashley will sleep away the night, and awaken to all the "Prince Charming" doctors telling her tomorrow that she's finally reached the Castle of Good Health. Praying that the shakes and withdrawl end so you can finally rock your baby girl again.
Take care of yourself and enjoy the quiet and dark room to sleep a little yourself.
Let me know if you need anything. Remember I am only a phone call away.
Jill from Omaha

 
At 9:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, I know this wasn't supposed to be THAT funny, but I can totally picture the whole "my boss is bald" converation and it makes me laugh. I hope things start to get better for you soon. Looks like you will have some visitors tomorrow--that should help!

 
At 9:42 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I hate to hear that she's in such misery--she's a princess whether her crown stays on or not:) but I do hope she feels better soon!

I'm praying that her fluid situation gets all balanced out, and that the withdrawal symptoms subside quickly!!

Take care tonight:)

 
At 12:24 AM , Blogger Ashleigh Baker said...

I agree with Sarah... she's a princess with or without the crown. But we'd of course rather her keep it if she can.

It makes my heart hurt all the way over here to think of her being so miserable. Praying and praying for the balancing act.

 
At 1:26 AM , Blogger Renee said...

Continued prayers for Ashley and for YOU and your family Trish!! Praise our dear Lord for all he is doing in your lives. I am very sorry to hear that Ashley is having such a difficult time with withdrawal!! It seems to me with all the problems she has they would be weaning her off the medicine so that she does not experience such an awful withdrawal period! I pray that she is over this quickly. I pray that she is better soon and ya'll can go home where you belong with the rest of your family. I pray every single day for ya'll...even if I don't post.
Hang in there, I pray it will be over soon and you can reunite with your wonderful family in Texas!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home