Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

3/20/2007

A New Season

Oh how I love the change of seasons. I used to believe that the autumn was my favorite time of year, but as I get older(and older and older, I am really feeling my age this week!) I have found that I love of all of them. Tomorrow is the first day of Spring. I can feel it as I walk my sweet Ashley Kate outside. I can smell the scents of wisteria in the trees. I can hear the birds singing so sweetly, and I can feel the warm breeze as it comes across mine and Ashley's faces. She got so tickled as the wind blew across those puffy cheeks today. What a joy it has been to have the freedom to walk her outside until she drifts off to sleep.

Along with the beauty of the spring and the promised changes that will accompany it I am feeling the beauty of the changes that are occurring in our family. This is a new chapter in Ashley's story and a new season of sorts in mine and David's lives. We are excited about the change of season. Our family has endured a very hard "winter" and now we are ready to embrace the coming of "spring". New life, new growth. How promising that is to me during this time. As I came to the house this morning to put in a couple of hours of work I was privileged to pause long enough and watch a robin hop along the roof collecting materials for her nest. She knew that she had a job and she was willingly preparing for it. The springtime brings a promise of new life to her and she was happily preparing her home for the little eggs that would be placed in her care. How encouraged I was as I watched her work so very hard. Hard work that was sure to make a difference. Maybe not a difference to all, but such a difference to the ones she would be charged with caring for. It was such important work. This is how I am feeling today. What a job I have before me. Although it seems a little(o.k. a lot overwhelming) it is a task that I embrace with a heart of thanksgiving. How privileged I am to have had 3 beautiful little ones placed in my care. I gladly clean closets, and floors, and drawers, and bedrooms, and dust, and construction mess, and laundry and anything else I find that has moved into our home over the past 6 months, because in the end it will make a difference. Not to all, but to the ones who matter the most to me. Please forgive me if I appeared ungrateful while I was feeling overwhelmed. God knew my heart and that is what matters the most.

As I plan to embrace this new season of our lives I want to tell each one who comes to this story what a difference you are making. I honestly mean it when I say to you that I love this "blogging" family that He has brought to me through Ashley's journal. You pray for me when I am hurting, you encourage me when I am tired, you help me continue on when what my flesh feels like doing is retreating. How blessed I am to know all of you. I am a better person because of knowing this group of people.

Ashley is happy. Happier than I have ever seen her. She loves life and that is all that matters. Sure she still struggles, and she still experiences pain, but the smile that so quickly follows tells me that it has been SO worth it. I want you all to know her. To know the little one whom you have allowed to enter into your hearts, your families, your lives. If you only ever get to know her through this journal then that it is enough reason for me to continue on. I am thankful for your time spent here and your time spent in prayer for her and for her mom who fails to be perfect, but strives to do the best job I can. God Bless each of you and your amazing families. Love, Trish

15 Comments:

At 3:27 PM , Blogger Carey said...

God bless you as well. Thanks for the kind words you show to your blogging family. Im so glad to hear that Ashley is happy and I will continue to pray for her healing, for her to have strength, and I also pray for your family, as you all get readjusted to each other. Enjoy Spring, new life!

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger Dru said...

Trish,
Maybe you could print this out and hang it up, so the next time you're feeling so overwhelmed with housework it might give you a lift:

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockabye, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

-- Author Unknown

Enjoy your family - the housework will *always* be there; our little ones won't. I need to remember that more myself. :)

Blessed be,
Carrie

 
At 3:56 PM , Blogger Paulette said...

Hey Trish,
Family is what it is all about, You have taught me to be more grateful for mine, it doesn't matter if we have small children or teens like myself God is about family and how we come together at the end of the day is what matters.
I wish I could come help you get things in order, but I suspect you definately will be there soon.
Welcome home, to you both.

 
At 3:59 PM , Blogger Shari F. said...

Trish-You never cease to amaze me with your thankfulness regarding you situation at hand. You are such a blessing and I am so glad I was introduced to Ashely's story. I continue to pray for the sweet mama who writes everyday as well as sweet Ashley, David, Blake, and Alli, too. Thank you for allowing me the privilege to read your story and follow it daily. You, truly, are such a blessing!

 
At 4:04 PM , Blogger Big Mama said...

Trish, I came over from Sarah's and just wanted to say God bless you for all that you've been through. You and your sweet family will be in my prayers.

 
At 4:35 PM , Blogger Paige said...

Trish,

You have given so many people the wonderful gift of knowing Ashley. At times when I think of her, I can almost smell the sweet smell of a baby's hair after a bath. You have opened yourselves to world that can harm, but, oh, the good you have done. For hearts like mine, who need a little perspective that things can be worse that what I experience. Ashley has inspired me to live in the moment. To enjoy and love my family more with each new day. And let go of the things that really won't matter for eternity. Thank you for sharing. I pray that there will be many many more chapters to write of a sweet little girl named Ashley who is such a delight. Love and hugs!

 
At 5:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And we are thankful your ya'll (to put it in southerners terms ;) ).

 
At 5:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish,

I have been reading Ashley's Story almost since the very beginning. I have prayed, cried, rejoiced, been mad, been happy, been sad, been scared, been grateful, been thankful I would be willing to guess every emotion imaginable. My girls who are 6 and 2 have come to enjoy seeing me pull up this page and see Ashley's picture. However your post today really touched me. There have been several others also that have been really touching and I posted then alsoto just say "THANK YOU". The way you are able to express yourself is a gift from God. I am always in awe of how even though you are going through different situations and circumstances you are still able to encourage others. WHEN Ashley is completely healed and well I don't know what we (the people who come to her page every day 2, 3, or 4 times a day) will do. God is shown through you and your words every day. Continue to trust, lean and depend on him and we your blog family will continue to pray for you and your family.

 
At 5:46 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Trish, thank you for your sweet comment. It always thrills me to see one from you; your words are always full of grace.

The picture of wind blowing on those adorable cheeks is wonderful!! I'm so glad today has gotten better--and your spirit has never seemed the least bit ungrateful, only authentic and real. I just told a blogging friend today that some people expect us to be both perfect and real. Only Jesus pulled that one off!

Have a happy night!! :)

 
At 6:55 PM , Blogger Aunt Boo said...

I am an avid reader. I am anxious every morning when I go to check your blog and I always pray for the best. I am glad that you have decided that not only do you get a lot out of the posts, so do we. Your posts get me through the day and I love you and your family for it. Your words are inspirational and have led me that much closer to God. I Thank You for that.

Many love and prayers,
Amanda D.

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger cindy/barron said...

Trish you are one extra ordinary mother. Keep up the good work.

 
At 8:11 PM , Blogger Krista said...

I am so happy to hear that little Ash is so happy! It is so awesome to see God work in your life and hers! Your family is just beautiful and you deserve those Blessings!

 
At 8:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still in shock that you and Ashley are back in Texas. What a tremendous blessing. It is unbelievable how fast things turned around once the cancer was discovered and now she seems to be doing so well even though she is going through chemo. God is good!!!!

 
At 4:31 AM , Blogger Alison said...

How exciting to be able to share spring with Ashley outside as it should be! What a glorious time you will have!!!

 
At 8:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish,
I have been off for a couple of days so i am catching up with the latest news. I have been thinking and praying for Ashley and the rest of your family. I can only imagine the amount of overwhelming you felt when you returned home. Continue to poor your heart out because we care to know your needs and we pray for those daily. Thank you for not being a fake. I am praising God that you are home and you are a family. Enjoy it all, except the dirt and dust!
Katy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home