Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

3/21/2007

"Wednesdays are my favorite!"

On the morning drive to school we usually take advantage of that time with the kids in the car to touch base with them, pray with them, and try to get a little insight into what they may be going through or what type of things may be on their young hearts. This morning I asked them this question,"Anything exciting going on in school today?" Allison was quick to answer, "Oh, Yes! Wednesdays are my favorite!" Wow, I thought to myself. I never knew Wednesdays were her favorite. I asked her why. She began to give me a run through of the days schedule making sure to list every single period and what they were learning in that class. She continued to let more and more information bubble out of her with such an excitement that I found myself smiling. To be honest with you it was more information than I could grasp on to at this point in my life with the lack of sleep I am getting, but by the end of her description I decided that Wednesdays were my favorite too. I still never figured out what made them so special to her, but since she loves them that much so do I. Blake was absorbed in a book that he is trying to finish so he didn't have much to add except for the daily countdown to the NASA Trip he and his dad are taking with his classmates. "Only 5 more days." Thats all he had to say without even telling us what he was talking about. He didn't have to. We knew what the countdown was all about.

Last night I told the kids that Ash and I would be gone all day tomorrow for her chemotherapy and that we were thinking about spending the night in Dallas on Sunday so we didn't have to get up and start driving by 3:30 for Monday's appointment. Knowing that Dad and Blake would be going to Houston on Monday Allie began to get very nervous. She isn't thrilled with the idea of Ash and I leaving for an overnight trip to the hospital. I think it is just too soon for her to let us go again, so I have been considering taking her out of school on Monday so that she can accompany me and Ash to Dallas. Maybe just by taking her along she will feel more comfortable with the weekly trips we will be making over there. I am not sure if it would be a good idea to leave her without Dave or I so soon after just coming home from Omaha. I don't know, we are still trying to figure out what is best for her. It might be kinda nice to just have us 3 girls traveling together for the day. Just something I am praying about.

Ash is struggling today. She is so fussy and uncomfortable. She isn't running a fever. She has no signs or symptoms other than sweating and crying. I can just tell she doesn't feel well. I am thinking perhaps it is just because her defense system is down right now. I have not been able to put her down all day. She just cries and cries if I am not holding her. I wish I knew what to do to make her feel better. Perhaps she will be able to smile a little when her daddy comes home from the office. I have run into to town to take Al to cheer practice and since Ash can't come out of the house she is now resting next to her Nan. Hopefully she will be feeling better after her nap. Tomorrow is the second infusion of our second cycle. We are now in week number 5 of our 18 week course. Next week we will be 1/3 of the way there. Yeah for Ash! I can't wait for this to be over for her.

We are still searching for a contractor to hire to finish our remodel. Dave is working so hard at the office and putting in such long hours that he just doesn't have enough time in the day to work on the bathrooms. We still have no running water in the kitchen half of the house and we are waiting on the plumber to find time in his schedule to come out and repair the water line. Sometimes life is really crazy, but the great thing about our life is that we are doing this all together now. Thank you, Father for allowing Ashley and I to move "home"(grandma's home) to be with our family. We are so grateful to be back in Texas so close to our little yellow house. I know that the remodel and repairs will eventually be done, and since there is nothing I can do about speeding those things up I am just having to laugh at the situation we find ourselves in. God is still blessing us daily and we are still parenting 3 of the best kids in the world. It just doesn't get any better than this!

7 Comments:

At 4:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Trish - I pray that Ashley continues to thrive in our little Texas town. I apologize for not blogging in a while, and I am doing good to function right now! However, I am so proud to have you home. We love you guys and pray that He continues to touch our lives through your little miracle (Ashley).

As far as Ashley not feeling good today ... maybe she senses that her hero (daddy) is getting ready to go out of town. I am truly amazed at the bond those two have ... please keep us posted on how our "germ-free" angel is doing. Regina

 
At 4:52 PM , Blogger tonya said...

Trish,

How are Ashley's blisters doing? Great I hope.

Our baby had to have surgery in October and we took our oldest with us to Dallas. It was what worked for us.

Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us. I love every minute of it.

Still praying!!!!!!!

 
At 5:19 PM , Blogger cheryl said...

Sounds like Allie could use a time away with mom and Ashley. She will probably learn more during a trip with you than she would in school that day... and time is priceless.

Hope you find someone to do your bathroom soon.

 
At 5:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet Allie would be a big help to you and feel really special by going along. She probably wouldn't concentrate on studies so well that day anyway. (I just know how much she wants to be with you right now.) I wish Ashley weren't feeling so yucky. Bless her heart. Feeling sick really is the pits. Maybe some of that warm Texas sunshine will do her some good in the car tomorrow. I love hearing about the drive times. Those are my VERY FAVORITES around here, too! It's why I love day trips with the kids so much - all the hours of confined talking. Those are THE BEST! Praying for rest for you all tonight!

 
At 7:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for safe travel for you & Ash this weekend (& maybe Allie too). (= Praying for God to open doors to this remodel & the right person to get things done will come your way. Praying for adjustment to "normal" from PICU life. (= Hang in there. Your an awesome mom & I admire you. (= Praying..... Have a blessed night. Praying for Ash & her health....that God will protect her during this time of weakened immunity.

 
At 8:14 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I thought of you today--Addie is on steroids for RSV and is SO grumpy! I held her in the crook of my arm so long today she started to feel like another appendage :) Even her little 14 pounds gets heavy after a while! It made me think of all the long, long days you did nothing but hold Ashley all day long. It's so nice to be able to comfort a sick baby, but after a while I really needed to use the restroom! ;)

I'm praying for y'all as you make decisions about Dallas, and for Ash as she is feeling crummy. I know you can't wait for all of this to be over!!

 
At 9:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that God is using Ashley to show Himself in our family...I have tears right now. My children are involved in praying for her & today we joined together for a special prayer for her in her nadir stage. We prayed (with my 3yr old who covers one eye with his hand??)and talked about how when two or three are gathered He is in our midsts. I await your posts on a daily basis and I cry and cringe (the house), rejoice and hope. Thank you for sharing Ashley with us. We've been blessed by her. I wish we were closer so we could help you out in some way....I agree that a girls time out would be a healing balm to your daughter. I remember how special it was to skip school to do something important. Some of my best memories of my mom were when we had a snow day and we would drive very slowly to the mall for the day LOL. You've been gone so long, how fun would that little trip be??! Will be in prayer for this important time for you and your little princess. Colleen in OHio

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home