Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

7/27/2007

Doing Great!

We are finally home from Tyler and Ash is doing great. She had no complications with the procedure and has done so well this afternoon. It took a while to get going this morning, but once they had her the procedure was over in about 30 minutes. Her eye is red of course and the lids are a little bruised, but from what I can tell she looks great. I think her left eye is finally straight. I am so excited for her! She hasn't opened them enough for me to get a picture yet, but I wanted to share with you how her eyes have looked in the past. The first picture is before either eye was worked on. This next picture shows what her eyes looked like after the first procedure . Her right eye looked fabulous, but her left eye still needed some work. The surgeon was only able to work on so many muscles at one time because of the risk of bleeding too much. We needed to wait for six months before finishing her left eye. We were called to transplant and one thing after another took place with Ash's health so her eyes were forced to the bottom of the list. I will never forget the first transplant surgeon we met last August. The very first words out of his mouth were this, "You sure are a funny looking thing. Somebody needs to have those eyes worked on for you." Needless to say he wasn't my favorite person . I had the urge to hit him, but thankfully I did not. Over the course of the next 6 months I learned to respect him and I can honestly say that I like him very much, but it didn't happen overnight.

Today went better than I could have asked for. The team of people were fabulous and they did an amazing job with Ashley. I can't thank them enough for taking such good care of her. Underneath Ashely's clothes there are lots of things that can be intimidating and sometimes nurses are afraid of her. Today God blessed us with very careful, compassionate, kind, and concerned care takers and it gave me such reassurance. It is never easy to watch them take her through those doors, but we made it through another round and I can't wait to post a picture of her new look. She is pretty fussy and a little uncomfortable, but overall I think she is doing great.


Thank you so much for praying for our little pickle today. It means so very much. Take care. Trish


P.S. I have NO idea why this post is black and orange. I am working on a new computer and I can't figure anything out. Oh, well.

16 Comments:

At 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so good to hear! I can't wait to see a new picture of her when she is feeling better. I am praying for a quick healing! ~Chan~

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

Terrific! So glad it went well. I know you are relieved. Glad it's over and I'm sure you'll be glad to have some time without something like that looming in the near future.

 
At 9:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So looking forward to seeing the "finished picture". Thanks for sharing her with us once again.

 
At 10:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trish,
The post is black and orange because somehow you merged the text with the link for the picture, meaning, if you click on the text it takes you to the location of the pic on the net. You can fix it in edit mode by going back to the edit area, highlighting that text and clicking on the broken link icon.
It really doesn't hurt anything, so if you don't want to fix it, you don't have to. No biggie!

 
At 10:41 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

Oh how precious - I just LOVE to see the ones with her sucking her thumb - those are the sweetest. Thanks for posting to let us know it went well - have a great weekend - Sunshine

 
At 10:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have loved little Ashley regardless of how her eyes/eye looked. She has been such an amazing blessing and an inspiration for so many people who have read her story. Now that the precedure on her eye is over, I just know I will cry the first time I see her picture. Why, I'm even teary eyed just thinking about it. I, too, pray that she will experience even more through her beautiful eyes. She has a whole world of things out there for her to explore.
Thank You, Lord, for the miracles we have seen through this precious litte one~~~we love her~~~and her family~~~Janiece

 
At 12:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is beautiful. And it is exciting to think about how much better she will see! I bet that in itself will boost her developmental progress !
Praying!

 
At 7:26 AM , Blogger Carey said...

Thats great news! Im glad to hear things went well.

 
At 8:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Please stop talking bad about the surgeon and the nurses that help Ashley. I am sure nurses are not Afraid of Ashley.

 
At 9:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad for the good news, and hoping you all have a beautiful Saturday! (By the way, I think both of those photos are adorable, and I can't wait to see a new one :)
Love in Christ...

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Sigh (trying to ignore the unnecessary comment 2 above mine). I'm so glad to hear that things went well and can't wait to see the "after" picture. Yet another thing to check off the list. :)

 
At 1:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto Em's comment about the previous post...
On a brighter note, SO glad she did well! Can't wait to see new pictures!

(The deletion above is mine--I'm not quite awake enough yet to type properly! What a blonde!)

 
At 1:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad things went well and I can't wait to see the picture with her "new eyes." She's so beautiful and I just know this will help her. You are such a great Mommy to her and I am so proud of your family. I am continuing to pray for her that her develop just speeds along and sooner than later she will be walking and into everything. I can't wait for that day. And big sigh> trying to ignore someone's unnecessary comment again.
I love your family.
Shari

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger preechrboy said...

I'll pass the report on tomorrow at Men's Prayer; however, I posted b/c I giggled a little bit about the "You sure are a funny little thing..." Hey Sis, people have been telling US that our whole life and ain't nobody worked on us!!! I would like a new nose please...oh, and smaller cheeks. :)

 
At 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Ashley came through with flying colors. I can only imagine your relief and love to hear how well she is doing.

I can relate to the Dr. thing, as I have had them say things that make you want to grab your child and run.

That is getting off the subject, and I am so glad she is home and one more hurdle is crossed safely.

Jennifer

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home