Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

8/22/2007

Amazing what Blue can do

Ash had PT with Ms. Sue today. As we were working Ms. Sue said she thought it was time to take a happy picture of Ashley during therapy. I smiled and said, "We can try," never actually believing it would happen. Ash can be the happiest baby as long as we let her play with what she wants and don't get into her space, but the moment we put our hands on her she loses it. I mean she really loses it. She doesn't cry because the therapy is painful. She cries because we are making her use muscles that she doesn't use on her own. For instance, Ashely's legs work. The bone structure, muscles, and nerves are all intact. She can use them. She just doesn't know that she can use them. Her brain or her joint mechanoreceptors aren't firing and telling her that she can. We're not sure why they don't. How do we know that it isn't painful for her to stand? Let me show you. This is a picture of Ashley standing before we turned on Blues Clues:

And this is the picture I took moments after the show started:



Amazing? Not a tear falls or a cry is uttered as long as she can watch her favorite blue puppy. If Ashley was experiencing pain in her legs as she stood on them she would not be able to stop crying instantly. She's just a stinker! Using Blue to our advantage is working out beautifully. She may resist and put up a fight in the beginning, but as soon as the music starts she is fine. What a silly girl she is.

She's had a really good day. She smiled and played for the majority of it. As soon as her daddy came in tonight she shared hug after hug. It was just so sweet. I love seeing the two of them together. As Dave works on his computer across the room from me on mine Ash sits in the middle of the floor playing peek a boo and making all kinds of noise. She has earned herself a later bedtime now that the kids are in school because she refuses to be quiet in her crib when she can see Allie across the room. Once Al is good and asleep we sneak Ash into the nursery and put her to bed. She really thinks she is something staying up later than Blake and Al.

Well I suppose I should get off of here and prepare lunches for tomorrow and iron uniforms. I just love the routine of being home! Thanks so much for being here with us today and for each prayer you have prayed for our gherkin. We truly appreciate those of you who are still with us. May God bless you and your families. Good night. Trish

7 Comments:

At 6:54 AM , Blogger KimberlyDi said...

Thank you for sharing with us each step she takes, in all areas.

 
At 7:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't help but love that little pickle through your journaling. She is something!! Her pictures make me smile and want to squeeze her. Thank you for sharing so well the big and little details that make me feel like I am there. You continue to be in my prayers. Lou Ann

 
At 10:23 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

I am enjoying reading your blog about Ashley's PT as I am a PT as well! Once Ashley turns 2, you might be interested in a unique type of therapy called Hippotherapy, which uses the horse as a movement tool to promote strengthening and balance reactions. I do Hippotherapy at a center called Triple Creek Ranch in California. But, there are centers all over the United States. I recommend choosing a NARHA center as then you can be ensured that certain standards (especially safety) are being followed. Hippotherapy is NOT indicated for kids under the age of 2...I've given you links here so you can research it - and of course, talk to Ashley's PT and MD! I have seen wonderful results with this type of PT! And it is fun - the kids LOVE the horses :)

 
At 10:48 AM , Blogger Mayhem And Miracles said...

Just ditto-ing what Wendy wrote. We have friends who ride horses for therapy and love the results. M. is starting classes, too, just because she loves it.

 
At 1:17 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

You are right. What a stinker! I just see her gleefully figuring out how to wrap y'all around her little tiny fingers. Sounds like a pretty intelligent little stinker to me! :)

 
At 6:29 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

My goodness she looks so great! I've been scrolling down through your last several photos of her, and she just looks so healthy and beautiful! I'm praying for your trip to Omaha, and for her continued development. Addie's not really talking either, but I'm telling myself it's because she can't get a word in edgewise:) Either way, we're proud of her and are thrilled to celebrate in what she CAN do! I'm so glad you're able to share all of Ashley's triumphs with all of us! Thank you:)

 
At 9:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

she truly is getting cuter every day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home