Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

9/21/2007

Morning Rounds


Morning rounds didn't really shed much light on Ash's condition. At this point we don't know what is making her so ill. If she is not in rejection(we will biopsy around 1:00) then it is more than likely a virus. The problem with having a virus is that most of them are not able to be diagnosed and treated. That means that we have to ride it out, and doing that with a weakened immune system and very fragile transplanted bowel can cause her to be sick for a long time. My question this morning was this,"Do we ride it our in Omaha or can we do this back home?" The answer? "Lets just wait and see. She has to be supported during the course of whatever she is battling and right now she is in the safest place she can be." Although I do not wish to stay here away from our family I agree that they know her best and can best take care of her.

Ash is sick. There is no getting around that fact. The walls of her vessels are very weak causing all of the fluid we are pumping into her to seep into the tissues(they call that 3rd spacing). Because of this her kidneys have shut down. They did place a foley cath in her this morning to better monitor her kidney function. She is very swollen because of the 3rd spacing and is starting to lose the look of our Ashley. They reminded us that it will get worse before it gets better. She continues to run fever and is very shaky and trembly. She will be requiring a blood transfusion this afternoon because she has become so diluted while trying to re-hydrate her. Her little tummy continues to cramp and she is groaning and grunting with much force.
She has required several albumin infusions, as well as calcium and potassium. Her electrolytes and blood chemistry is very messed up because of the loss of so much fluid through the vomiting and stooling. She has not been awake much. She is just weak and feels really bad. Ash has not eaten or received any nutrition since Saturday so they will be starting TPN tonight.

Overall my heart is very sad and very concerned. If her biopsy returns to us normal with no signs of rejection then we will lower her immunosuppression to try and give her body a chance to battle back against whatever has invaded. The catch to doing this is that she walks a very fine line of possibly slipping into rejection without the protection of that immunosuppression. Transplant is tricky and not easy. My sweet baby continues to be fragile and can at any moment pick up something that can cause you or I no more trouble than a trip to the restroom, but to her it can be dangerous. Her life is precious. It is a gift that must be guarded at all times, while still allowing her to grow up, live, laugh, and love life. Figuring out how to make this happen is really tough.

It all comes down to this: trust. Trusting the One who gave her life not once, but twice to protect it and to do what He knows is best for her. I'm just her mom, and the only thing under my control is showing her how much I love her and teaching her how much the Father loves her.

Again I thank you with everything in me for loving her enough to pray for her. It is such a treasure knowing that people are continually lifting her up. May God bless you for caring. Trish

16 Comments:

At 12:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are continuing to pray for your sweet baby girl, a precious child of God.

God's Blessings,
Gina in KY

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Alicia said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. I just can't even imagine the turmoil your heart must be in when my own is so troubled for a little girl I've never even met. I wish there was more we could do for your sweet family. But, knowing that prayer can be an incredibly powerful gift, I will continue to be on my knees for her. Thank you so much for giving us the honor of an update or two on your sweet Ashley's condition. Hang in there.

 
At 12:21 PM , Blogger Sandy said...

Trish - I come here and check on Ashley what seems to be every hour. I was so glad to see your post. I feel bad for that sweet baby and for you also. I hope they are able to figure out what is wrong so she can start to feel better. You and Ashley are in my thoughts. Hang in there, you are being a great mom and I'm sure you being there with Ashley (altho she can't tell you) makes a world of difference to her. You are thought of more than you know!

 
At 12:35 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

oh that has to be the most precious picture - I am SO sorry she is so sick! I really appreciate this blog - and grateful for the updates! May God continually shelter Ashley and you and you entire family. We are praying. Sunshine

 
At 12:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish and Dave
I have been following Ashley's story for a while now and I just wanted you to know that I am praying. She is such a precious gift. Without this getting to long, I also wanted you too know that the two of you radiate Christ through every post I read. When I parent my own children I am reminded of your example. God will bless you as you travel this road. Thank you for your openess and I will am praying as you push foward.
Allison

 
At 12:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Praying praying praying. Thank you Trish for the updates. Such a sweet and precious child, praying for a full recovery.

 
At 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update I have been checking in all morning. I am praying for that sweet baby girl! ~Chan~

 
At 1:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the only thing under my control is showing her how much I love her and teaching her how much the Father loves her."

Perfect advice for the secret to life for any of us.

Praying for the doctors wisdom, your peace and Ashley's comfort.

 
At 1:16 PM , Blogger KM said...

Thanks for the update. We've covered this sweet baby and your precious family in our prayers for quite awhile...and will continue to do so.

Kristi in Texas

 
At 1:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys-
Please call (402 321 1167) if you need anything--even a quick Target run, real food or laundry done. I'll be thinking about you!!!

 
At 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am continuing to lift Ashley up in my prayers. Thank you Trish for updating us regularly and pouring your heart out to us. Although I have never met you, my heart aches for you as youlove and parent your precious baby during this time. i am so thankful that we can puit our hope and trust in the Great Physician who know Ashley and all her needs better than anyone lese. I, too, am praying that He brings rapid healing to her weak little body and that she can get back to enjoying her sippy :)

Courtney
in PA

 
At 2:06 PM , Blogger emily said...

Lord, wrap Your arms around Ashley. Give rest and comfort to her little body, and surround her whole family with Your peace. Amen.

 
At 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right that this all comes down to trust in God. This is what is so hard for all of us to accept in our daily lives - no matter what happens, God is in control.

You put this so beautifully, Trish. That is a lovely picture of Ashley. I pray she is doing better now. Love, Pam

 
At 2:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been coming here all day to check on sweet Ashley. She is such a doll. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!!

Blessings,
Lori

 
At 3:05 PM , Blogger ohAmanda said...

Praying! Don't give up.

 
At 3:19 PM , Blogger cindy/barron said...

We to are continuing to pray to. I know your hearts are hurting but GOD will bring you all through this. Thanks for giving us a chance to be apart of this with yall. Ashley is so special to us.Hang in there God is still working miracles for this precious fragile Gherkin. IN G0D LOVE

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home