Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/14/2007

Hope


I'm sitting awake helping my sweet Ashley Kate as she struggles once again through a difficult night. Her little body trembles as she fights severe nausea. With every movement she begins a series of retching and vomiting. It is so so sad. I can see how very tired she is and she looks at me so confused. Her fever remains around 100.2. High enough to make her feel yucky, but too low to warrant a culture. I have her uncovered, lying with a cool towel on her face and she breathes heavy under the weight of much fluid. Just another night for Ash, but underneath the struggle we have hope.

How beautiful to hear the light hearted sound of her daddy's voice tonight. For the first time in over 3 weeks I could hear the joy hiding behind his concern. "That is the best thing you could have ever said to me!" This was his response this afternoon as he slipped out of the conference to take my call. I know he must cringe every time he looks and sees my number. Never knowing what news awaits him as he calls me back. Tonight I could hear the hope and joy that he had been given with those two words. No Rejection. In a transplant family's life there is no greater statement. "You have just won the lottery!" couldn't compare. In a way we did just win. We won more time with Ashley Kate. Nothing could be sweeter than knowing that we now have the hope of returning with our littlest one to our home with Blake and Allison.

"Kiss her and tell her how much her dad loves her." These were his final words tonight. "Trish, just make sure she knows, OK?" So as I lay my head next to hers and she pleads for help with those amazing eyes, I kiss her forehead and say, "Do you even know how very loved you are? Your daddy loves you. Your mommy loves you. Your Blake and Allie love you. The world loves you. Jesus loves you." She just looks at me. I wonder if she understands? What must she be thinking?

Although she is feeling so yucky I still have this hope hiding deep in my heart. Its like I'm hiding this great secret from her. I want to tell her that God has so much more in store for her life, but tonight is not the right time. tonight I'll just stay close to her and clean her up and comfort her the best that I can, and maybe tomorrow she will feel like listening. We have hope again. Hope for her tomorrow. Hope for the next tomorrow and the next and the next. We hope for her future once again. What a gift! Oh,I know the road ahead is still long, but knowing things are looking up for her makes us want to run that road and never look back.

Hope. Its a beautiful thing. God gave this mommy and daddy a gift today. I have no idea how many tomorrow's He will grant us with this tiny pickle, but just knowing that we made it through another day is enough for now.

"Be of good courage and He shall strengthen you heart, all ye that HOPE in the Lord."
Psalm 31 :24

14 Comments:

At 6:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish - I have been reading about Ash for some time now, but never took the time to comment. We pray nightly for her and your entire family for sustaining strength, healing and comfort. My 9 year old asks throughout our day if you have posted so he can pray too. He NEVER forgets her or Jaymun in his prayers.... gotta love a little one who loves Jesus!!

Hope is one of my favorite things! As Christians we have an eternal hope in Christ and some people have a hard time understanding that or just accepting it. Your family is the 'poster' family for hope - how blessed we are to have you to share your hope with us. Thank you for letting us be part of Ash's amazing life.

May Christ keep you in His care and may the precious blood of our Savior wash over Ashley....


Heidi

 
At 6:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping, trusting, praying with and for all of you... with love in Christ, Katya

 
At 6:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Trish,

Not everyone understands the great emotional relief that comes with a little good (no GREAT) news. You guys are one step closer to home, together. I think the freedom to walk outside will do you both so much good. Enjoy the sunshine!
M

 
At 7:55 AM , Blogger Paige said...

Trish,

Our family is celebrating with you and yours at the great news of no rejection! How great is our God! Isn't that great to say - NO REJECTION!

Ashley, I pray that you will be feeling better soon. We love you, precious girl!

Have a great day! Love and hugs!

 
At 8:00 AM , Blogger Alicia said...

Oh my goodness. I didn't check Ashley's story last night, and I can't describe the joy in my heart as I read those words - No Rejection! What a hugh blessing. God is so good. And getting to go outside to enjoy the fall weather?! I can imagine how much the fresh air will do for both of your spirits. So now that rejection is over, we pray for Ashley to feel better and for the feeds to go so well that you are home for the holidays. Hope can truely change your life, can't it?
Thank you for starting my day with such incredible news. God bless you!

 
At 8:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so happy to hear this and for you and your family...indeed there is hope! This gives me hope to keep on fighting. I'm facing losing everything...career, property, livelihood...but everytime I read about you and Ashley, it gives me strength to keep on fighting and not give up. Yesterday I was having a moment and I thought if Ashley can keep on fighting so can I! Thanks for sharing. Still wishing you, Ashley and your family absolute peace!

 
At 8:13 AM , Blogger Lolly said...

When Ashley was born, she got one of her greatest gifts, her Mother. She is so blessed to have you and the rest of your family in her life. She won the lottery when God chose you for her perfect forever family. YA'LL are constantly in my thoughts and prayers, and today, PRAISES!

 
At 8:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A sweet sweet blessing!
:)
Heidi (in CT now that there are 2 of us!)

 
At 8:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing .....your post is to read. Thankful for no rejection & praying for the pickle to feel better soon & home to Longview.....before the holidays. I will keep her on our SS prayer list. Thankful for the Hope God gives us.....

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger Paulette said...

Wow I am excited about no rejection!! I am still praying until she is out of the woods. I am praying that the nausea and vomiting stop.
I pray you have a great day today.

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Trish,
This gift of hope is one to be cherished and held on to. It comes straight from the Lord and there is power in it. I would love to see the look on Ashleys face when you take her outside, she is going to see Gods artwork, and hopefully lose site of machines and her room for a little while. I hope it speeds her healing up as her little heart explores all that she sees and smells. This is so good.
Prayers continue and may your hope stay high and your joy be full. Praying for the holidays to be yours.
Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 11:38 AM , Blogger Amy said...

We lifted her up today in Sunday School. I am so excited for no rejection! God is soooo good!

 
At 11:41 AM , Blogger Pace and Sarah said...

Trish, this is such a beautiful piece of writing. Thank you :)

 
At 4:10 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Trish, the "pace and sarah" comment was from me--I signed in to the wrong account! Sorry :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home