Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/11/2007

Teaching

This morning I am reminded that the Father is still teaching me though Ashley Kate's life. What a reminder He has given me as I have been given the opportunity to share parts of her story from the very beginning this morning.

As I was sharing I felt such peace and amazement still at the wonderful works He has done. We have a student nurse this morning who is being taught. I only agree to observation with students. I want them to have the opportunity to learn, but I don't want Ashley to ever be at risk so I agree to allow them to come in and observe but not be hands on. Agree or not that is the compromise Dave and I are comfortable with. Anyway, one thing led to another this morning and the student asked me if I would share how Ashley became ours. ( Let me just share that the fact that so many people are privy to Ash's birth history when it is no longer relevant to her care is an area that the Lord is having to work on in our parental hearts. Our goal is for Ashley Kate to grow up in our community and not be faced with information that she is not ready to hear or to be told things that as a family we had not been comfortable sharing with her yet. We would like for charts to reflect only what is currently an issue and in our opinion her birth history does not need to be relayed two years later to the nurse caring for her that particular day. You would not believe the comments made to me, questions asked of me, or situations I have to deal with because of this manner of sharing, but that is beside the point.) The goal of this post is to share with you the lesson God had for me this morning after a difficult night of struggle.

As I began to share the parts of her story that God laid on my heart what healing I felt taking place in the heart of this mommy. I love to share the love of Christ with others that spills out when I tell of our little one's journey. No life has not been easy, and yes Ash has fought battle after battle, but the Father's hand has been evident every single day of her life. To be reminded that He is still here with her and with me was so beautiful. Loving Ashley allows me to love others in ways I never knew I could. I look at people with different eyes. I feel compassion for people I have never met. I drive down the street and instantly feel compelled to love those on the side of the road or those who I might have never "seen" before the birth of my daughter. Her life has removed selfish blinders that once covered my eyes. I love people because Christ loves them and that is reason enough for me to go out of my way to show them His love. How humbling it is to have the opportunity to share her story with strangers. We instantly connect and I can love them for who they are and where they are in that moment with no blinders, no judgements, no restrictions. This is who I am since the birth of my youngest daughter because of His work in my life.

Yesterday was hard. I have promised to not lie about the ups and downs in this journal. It is a record of her life and how we live it day to day, but it is also a record of His work and His presence in the life of our family. I had a good cry with Dave last night. I poured my heart out to my best friend, and in the end it was decided that we know where she can go and we will do our best to get her there once again. As a mommy my heart hurts in this situation, but as a believer I cling to the hope that He gives. Up and downs are going to come. The lessons are always going to be there. Looking for them and applying them is the key to the growth He has in store for our family.

Our student nurse is here today to be taught, but it is I who learned the most from her presence in our room. God used the opportunity of sharing Ash's story with one more person to teach me that He is still in control and I wouldn't want it to be any other way.

Thank you for understanding even during the harder posts of this journal and for continuing to pray for us and to love us. What a role you play in His plan for our sweet Ashley Kate. I am humbled at the choice you have made to be a part of this record, this journal, this story that involves the hand of the Creator in my baby's life. Thank you. Trish

17 Comments:

At 12:10 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'm sorry yesterday was a hard day. Your grace, wisdom, and discernment continue to teach me. Yesterday as I was heading into surgery I thought of your precious girl, and my own, and I realized what battles our little ones have overcome. It was an encouragement to me, and I appreciate that you've chosen to share parts of her story with us. I hope today is a better day for her, and for you. Sending love from Texas :)

 
At 12:13 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

WOW ~ I love this post. I love the fact that no matter how hard and challenging it gets...no matter what the days or hours have just been in your life...this journal always returns to...But God! Like with Joseph - his brothers meant it for harm...BUT GOD...but God meant it for good. I will continue praying for you and for your family ~ your heart is beautiful and I am adore you. Sunshine

 
At 12:14 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

oops I meant to say that I do adore you not I am adore you :) Sunshine

 
At 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how the Lord guides your heart and words to reach others in such a magnifying way.Praying for better days ahead, complete healing for the littlest pickle. Thank you so much for sharing Ashleys journey with us all. God Bless

 
At 12:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of another hard day! I cannot wait until she is done with those meds. Yuck! Your post below is beautiful, I would love for people to read it and apply it to their own lives because of your experience. What a witness you are. I cried over Michelle, the girl who is reading your blog whose mom is ill. I will be praying for her as well. Beauty from ashes is what I often think of when I come away from here. God takes what the devil intends for evil and makes it good even in the midst of the struggle. It doesn't mean that there will not be tears or struggle or pain because of the fall of man. But, we are so blessed, beyond blessed in fact, to have a personal relationship with our God. We can take Him the pieces and He brings beauty through the pain in all sorts of unusual ways. He shields hearts, He mothers your children, He is beside and with you and Ashley. He has a plan for her and He will fulfill it. What a beautiful hope we have. Isn't it? I have just started to grasp this concept in the last couple months. Earthly pain and medical issues, unexpected dreams that are crushed,(fertility or babies leaving too soon), the devastating pain of an elderly couple losing a mate..I have seen all of those recently and then the lightbulb went on! This is temporary, let us grab on to running this race. We will all be together forever, never to be parted!! I love that part. Moms will hold those babies forever. I will never have to remember what my dad looks like. Together and perfect. No pain, no tears, no sorrow and beauty beyond compare. Let us grab hold of our precious life and rejoice in the one to come today:) Praying for you, Colleen

 
At 12:46 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

Thanks for sharing your ups and downs, Trish. We love you through it all, though no one could love you more than Him. And He does.

 
At 1:11 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Wow Trish,
This student nurse is going to learn this profession in a deeper and more spiritual way while caring for Ashley. It is no coincidence that she is in on Ashley's care. I so much understand the ups and downs you are honest about here. I am a mom and a grandma and my heart melts for all children. God is so good and I am so thankful that He gave Ashley to you.
He is using her to open my eyes to remember to be more compassionate, patient and loving with everyone who crosses my path. I am so glad that through this time in sharing with the nurse, you were able to be reassured once again that He is with you and Ashley and He will not ever leave you. And I do not need to know her birth history. It is simple to me, she was born for you and Dave! You bless my heart each time I come here and now I have added Michelle and her sweet mother to my list. It is the least I can do for the people he cares about and loves. Praying for Ashley to feel His comforting and healing touch all over her little body today and that she rests and is not in pain. She sure is teaching me not to complain about anything!!
You are teaching me how faith works deeper than I ever knew, and how to keep Hope alive always. Thanks Trish. Have a wonderful and joyful day in Him and praying for good results soon.
Love, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 1:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish,
I love your post. We all have so much to learn.
We are in the final few weeks of licensing with the state of Texas in order to adopt. It's great to learn more as a mom from someone like you!
I hope to someday be half the amazing woman that you are. And I hope to love our own little one as much as you love your little one!
Praying always for the whole family.

Marlain

 
At 1:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish ~ when you were in Omaha the last time for an extended period you shared Ashley's whole story with me from before she was born to current. I was very touched, and have reflected on it many times. I think you are wise to let God lead you as to who you share with and to what extent. We are continuing to keep you all in our prayers.

Julie ~ the "crib lady"

 
At 1:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish,you really seem so unhappy with the nurses,doctors.dirty rooms,cribs etc. do you not have the choice to go elsewhere if it's so bad there. Or you might want to look and see if you might be looking at things to pick on?Just trying to help here..

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger Alicia said...

And we are humbled that you would let us into your life like this. Thank you for being so transparent throughout this journey and for allowing us the privilege to pray specifically for your family. Still on my knees for you...

 
At 2:20 PM , Blogger cindy/barron said...

Hi Trish and Ashley, just stopping in to check on the two of you. Have not wrote in a couple of days have not been feeling good., but thats beside the point love this post praying praying and praying. You are an awesome woman of God keep up the good work. Keep your eyes focused on the good not what people chose to say we all love you.

 
At 2:28 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

Trish, thank you for sharing the ups and the downs with us. This is not our journal, but yours and Ashley's. You have been such a blessing to us all. And I know that that nurse will look at things in a whole different way after hearing Ashley's story. I know I do. Bless you and praying for a better afternoon and tomorrow.

 
At 2:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish, So many lives are being changed because of your willingness to be used by God. He continues to write your story and you continue to be the willing scribe. Thank you for sharing even when the days are tough and the nights are long. Still praying! Denise

 
At 3:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

google "david crowder" and listen to his song "you never let go".....praying that ashley is getting better! jan431

 
At 3:16 PM , Blogger Keri said...

And you teach us, too, Trish. Thank you (again, and again) for sharing every bit of this saga, the good and the bad, and allowing us to grow through it alongside you!

 
At 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish - there are so many thoughts that flood my head and my heart while reading your post.

First, let me share with you that today, I was talking to my best friend and I was sharing with her how reading about Ashley has changed my life and made me want to be a better mom to my son. God has used you so very much in my life and other's as well.

I love how honest you are. I love that you share your good days and your bad days with us. I love that you don't pretend to be perfect because you always bring back home to Christ. After reading ever single day, this journal, I care about Ashley, you and your entire family..you guys have been part of my prayers for so long that I feel protective of you. While I cannot imagine where you are, I still feel protective of you as a mommy. The other day, I read a post that hurt my heart, on your behalf and I responded. I shouldn't have. I am so very thankful there is God's mercy and His grace, through Jesus that I am "covered" for the mistakes that I made. Do you know who has taught me that? You, through God, have taught me that because you are very real and honest about your thoughts and feelings. I thank God for you!

I didn't know of Ashley's birth. To me, it was irrelevent because the way I see it, God does not make you a mommy only through you giving birth. You were a mommy long before your youngest daughter was placed in your arms. God had a perfect plan for Ashley and He still does. He is using her to reach so many people. Everything has worked for the good of God. Nothing can thwart His perfect plan.

This is long and rambles! I apologize. I am just still in awe of you! Ashley is so very, very blessed! We all are...

Thank you for being so honest and open always. Thank you for being YOU! Thank you for being willing to share your ups and downs honestly! Thank you for touching my life and my heart....

Continuing to pray..
Amy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home