Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/08/2007

Definitely Different

Today's ileoscopy was definitely different than any other we have ever had. All of Ash's scopes have been done in the ICU, but today we were taken to the GI lab. The anesthesiologist were there and they put Ashley asleep which we generally do not do. Things were just different, not bad only different. We went to recovery for a while until she woke up and now we are in our new room.

Our GI doctor told me the bowel was "angry". He didn't have to tell me. I already knew things were not looking good. Usually I see pink, healthy tissue all the way through the "tunnel"(that's my term not theirs). Today I saw very little pink, healthy tissue. The tissue was gray in places, a yellow color in others. Things are definitely different inside that organ. It is not the beautiful bowel I am used to seeing. I could feel a panic coming over me as we "explored" the graft for biopsy spots. I know things don't look good. We did see a couple of areas where some regeneration was attempting to take place so I am going to try and be encouraged. The only choice we have at this point is to wait. We wait for pathology to give a report on the biopsies and we wait to see if Ashley Kate's transplanted bowel will recover and function again.

I am nervous about all that is happening. I think she looks much better. She is awake and she is attempting to play. She actually grinned at me for the first time in 3 weeks. It was small and not very convincing, but it was there. She is very stable and for this I am thankful, but there is something wrong with what I saw on that screen this afternoon. We may be here a while.

Ash is requiring another blood transfusion. That will make the 4th or 5th one. I can't remember for sure. As soon as it is finished which will be another 3 hours we will begin an IVIG infusion. This is a blood product as well. Immunoglobulins to support her immune system. The best I can figure out from listening this morning we ran Ash's immunosuppresion very low this whole time because of the tumors and her chemotherapy and as a result she has slipped over the line into rejection. Now we battle back for as long as her bowel will battle. All the while praying that is recovers and that it remains a mild case of rejection.

We are trying to settle in to our new room. The new room number is 6474. Still figuring out where things go and how the unit works. We do have a little more space, but less storage. The most important thing is that we brought our air freshener and it is already starting to smell like home. The "Office" is up and running and now I am trying to decide where to put the bedroom. The biggest perk is that we are allowed to use our bathroom and shower. What a blessing!

I realize this post is long and I am rambling. I tend to do that when I am nervous and I am definitely nervous about all I just saw. Tomorrow's results can't come to soon for me. I function better with a plan. Obviously I am still being taught the lesson of letting go and just allowing God to do what He is going to do.

26 Comments:

At 6:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying that God will help you create a perfect "home" for Ashley in your hospital room - that those angry places will begin to heal and that the doctors will be able to find answers for you quickly! praying for more smiles and pats for you as well! AND..praying that He will calm your restless spirit and nervousness so you can rest. much love, jan431

 
At 6:23 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

Of course you're nervous, Trish! Why wouldn't you be?! Even God realizes that this is uncharted territory for you. He knows you love Him and trust Him. But we're all human. Prayers for peace and strength as you wait upon the path report. Hang in there--you are doing fantastic!

(((hugs)))gretchen

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Carey said...

Thanks for the update. Im constantly checking in on you guys. Hope the new room offers sleep for you both tonight.

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Alicia said...

Encouraged by the regeneration of certain part of her bowels...still praying for complete healing. May God be ever present in a big way as you wait for a plan.

 
At 6:59 PM , Blogger Paige said...

Trish,

I wish I were there to give you a hug. Seeing what you did today only gives us more specific things to pray about. So glad that Ashley is feeling better in spirit. She is such a little fighter, and I am believing that this is a battle God will bring her through. What a testimony He is building in this precious little girl! I just love Him so much.

Sleep well, friend! Love and hugs!

 
At 7:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for good, no great results tomorrow and also praying very hard for you to get some rest. Night three of good, hard sleeping would be wonderful. Our Father can do that for you, ya know and I'm praying you experience His peace throughout the night and morning while you are waiting. Goodnight my sweet little Ash. Grandma loves you and misses you so, so much!

 
At 7:04 PM , Blogger Elizabeth S said...

I will definitely keep praying! I am not sure I have any words to comfort you, but just know that I will be lifting you up and praying for the biopsy results to be a best case scenario.

 
At 7:06 PM , Blogger Keri said...

I can imagine your nervousness, given what you saw, but I'm glad you were encouraged by the areas of regeneration. Let's pray for more of THAT! It's also encouraging that Ashley is acting closer to normal. That must do your heart a world of good!

I'll also pray for your peace -- and peaceful sleep, for both of you -- tonight, despite the fact that you're worried. God can grant us peace even in the most UNpeaceful circumstances, can't He? It always amazes me when I'm the blessed recipient of such peace, and I pray you'll be such a recipient in the coming hours...

I'm glad your new room is already feeling like home. Enjoy the use of the shower and bathroom! :-)

 
At 7:19 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Praying for healing for your sweet girl.

 
At 7:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying that the biopsy results will offer new hope and promise for complete healing of her bowel! Have a good night's rest in your new "home."

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Praying even still...Lord, you see and know and can change even what Trish saw today...Please heal Ashley. In the Mighty and accomplishing Name of Jesus. Amen.

Sleep well tonight, Friend!
Love in Him,
Holly

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger Kimmie said...

Father;

Lord I feel the need to stop and put my arms around this mom, to let her know that You are with her with each tear that falls and with each moment that passes as she "waits." God, your Word tells us that No Thing is impossible for you. (Matt. 19:26) -Lord I am praying with this mother and when two are praying together, there you are in their midst. I ask for you to touch the wee little girl and bring healing to her body, Lord that You would flow through her, bring health to all areas of her little being. You taught us to pray 'Your Kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven', Lord, I know that there is no sickness in heaven, so I pray that you'd touch this child's body and restore her to perfect health.

I ask that you would bring encouragement to her parents, bring those who would be your arms and legs to them. Flood over them with your Spirit, refresh them Lord as they are weary.

I pray that they would not take their eyes from YOu and that you would bless them indeed. Pour your increase out over them, let them know your hand Father, I am sure they will testify openly of your Goodness and Faithfulness.

I ask this and believe in ~Jesus' name, amen.

Kimmie

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

I've been checking in all day and I know you are scared. Trish, ask God to take your spirit of fear and trade you one of peace and trust in Him. He knows what the angry bowel is doing and I know He has His hands on her. I will be grateful when you get the biopsy results and yes, I will join you in being encouraged for restoration to take place. And a small grin is a great thing from her for all she is enduring. Psalm 34:4 says "I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears." Waiting is hard and I pray for your waiting to be calm and without fear. Covering you and Ashley in prayer tonight and may you both sleep like babies in the arms of Jesus.

Love You Very Much, Laurie in Ca.

 
At 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

More prayers being said in CT.
Heidi

 
At 8:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish-

Being nervous would be normal in a situation like this. I hope you are able to make a "home" out of your new room and that you get blessed sleep tonight. The Father can make that happen!

I love you and I love your baby as well as Dave and Blake and Allie.

Wrapping you up in prayer tonight!

Shari

 
At 9:01 PM , Blogger Karen said...

Praying for healing for baby Ashley and peace and wisdom for you...

 
At 9:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying. I hope you are settled in your new room and resting.
Beth

 
At 9:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pray that you all have another good night of rest. Thanks for the update. We will pray for good biopsy results.

Love and hugs to you!

 
At 9:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Echoing Crownlaiddown and Kimmie. They seemed to say just what I was feeling. Hoping for the results that you are. God can turn a spotty bowel pink, if He wills. Love and prayers for both you.

 
At 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying you enjoy your new home and the new addition of a bathroom. you're right, it is a blessing to be able to stay in your room and take care of the necessities of life without having to share the room with strangers. We are praying for wisdom for all, especially the docs, rest for both of you, and for new and wonderful friends. God bless you and may He continue to make His face shine on you all.

 
At 9:53 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

Praying you are able to get a good night's rest and that the results are better than expected, or even imagined! And that they come quickly in the morning! Glad Ashley's feeling better even in the midst of an "angry" bowel.

 
At 10:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish,
I'm praying that our Abba will give you peace.
And praying this for Ashley:
Jeremiah 30:17: “But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds.” I'm praying that her bowel will be restored to healthy pink once again.

 
At 10:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Trish,

Always remember, it took ten months to make her perfect. You just need time for her to recover from this. These kids can go from fine to devestatingly ill in hours, and take weeks to get back to fine. She is soooooo much better than she was two weeks ago. Remember not to measure in small increments. Look at the bigger picture. So, the bowel looks angry. Thankfully, Ashley is less so! She is close to being herself. Think about it logically -- if you cut yourself, first you stop the bleeding. Only after you clean up the wound so it is not life threatening does it swell. Sometimes that is what the body does to recover. Rest a little easier. Focus on what lies ahead. You will all be together soon. My husband always said about these situations, "You have to eat an elephant a bite at a time." This is just another chapter in the book of Ashley's incredible strength (and yours and Dave's).

Remember, a bite at a time.
M

 
At 10:27 PM , Blogger Troy and Melanie said...

Praying for good results tomorrow. Praise the Lord....you can actually use the shower in your new room! Praying for a restful night - I know the waiting game is no fun. You guys are so loved....our prayers continue.

 
At 10:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for Ashley and all the tests results. Be still and listen for God...He is there with you and wants to rock you and your precious little one. It is so hard for most of us to Be Still...but that is what He wants out of us at times. May you find comfort and strength in Him...and I pray that you both get some rest tonight.

 
At 10:43 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I'm praying for you as you wait for results. You are never far from my thoughts, and as you wait, know that we are rooting for your girl!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home