Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

10/15/2007

Its In!

Ash is now back in her tent staring at her hands in the oddest way. I wonder what she is thinking? She could possibly be trying to figure out how to get them around my neck in order to strangle me for putting her through this. Just a thought? She looks really good and she did really well. We have a wonderful surgeon and I appreciate her care and concern for not only my Ashley Kate but for our whole family. She never fails to ask when Dave will be returning or how the older kids are.

As she was setting up for the procedure we were visiting and I made this statement, "I really think the Lord must be trying to help me work on my trust and fear issues." She just smiled and nodded. She knows I have trust issues when it comes to Ash, and she also knows one of my biggest fears is the bedside procedure of sliding drains and needles in to tap out fluid. I keep hoping it will get easier, but it never does. When it was over I said, "Its a good thing her mom is so brave!" To which we all laughed because everyone knows what a wimp I am when it comes to Ash. Ashley Kate is the tough one who continues to pull me along. I really do admire this little person.

Her chest x-ray is already showing some improvement concerning the fluid, but it also shows that there is a pocket of air between the lung and the plural cavity. We are hooking her up to suction in hopes that it will help. The air outside the lung is compressing on the lung making it harder for her lung to inflate. This can lead to problems with her heart function. We did another echo on the heart and the amount of fluid around it is unchanged. If things go the way we all would like then once the lung has drained the fluid around her heart will be able to find some place else to go too. Its a tense situation and it seems as though nothing with Ash is ever easy. We still have no idea why this happens to Ash. I asked if they had any theories and they said they could make something up to tell me, but it would only be made up. So to be honest it is best to say that we don't know why her body does these things. Our job is to help support her through them and by going after the fluid (even though it is frightening) we have the best chance at helping her.

I still have not unpacked my things. I'm holding out hope for those drastic changes that will allow us to move back out of the PICU. Once we are over this respiratory issue then I want to go back to working on that bowel and getting it fed so we can move home. These are my goals.

Thank you again for your prayers. Your support is so comforting. Just knowing that I can ask for your help in praying for Ashley Kate encourages my heart. Wendy, thank you for the gift. It is beautiful and one day I hope to be removing it from my neck and placing it around Ashley Kate's. Karen and Robin thank you for the yummy surprises, and Aunt Kathy, Ashley is forever grateful for finding her "friend". You are all loved and appreciated. Take care and God Bless.

28 Comments:

At 4:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!! I knew you both could do it! You have really been in my prayers today. Keep trusting and hanging on even with all the ups and downs. Do you like roller coasters?
Love and Prayers, Lou Ann

 
At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you guys made it through the procedure. Yoou have a very strong and brave little girl!

We continued praying for you in class. I will continue to lift you in prayer. I hope you got a chance to look at the words to the song that I posted (You are God Alone). So many times I find comfort in His music!

I still stand in awe of you! Continuing to pray...

In Christ,
Amy

 
At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that things are calming down a bit, and that waiting for the procedure was not an all day event. Praying for a productively successful drain....

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Continually praying...God is faithful! Not forgetting to remember Ashley or your family, at all!
Love,
Holly

 
At 4:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the procedure went well. What a brave girl!

Continued prayers for all of you!
Lori

 
At 4:52 PM , Blogger Pace and Sarah said...

I am so glad it went well! I'm praying for fluid to pack its bags and move out! I hope the rest of the day is uneventful!! Get a nap if you can, Trish--you must be wiped out after the last 24 hours! I'm praying for you especially today; and I want you to know I think you are tougher than you know. You inspire me daily. :)

 
At 4:54 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

Wow, so much happens in such a short time here! Glad to hear things are looking somewhat better and Ash went through the procedure well.

I'm so glad you like what I sent you - and I hope it brings you comfort. I hope Ashley will be able to cuddle with what I sent her and also find some comfort :)

 
At 4:55 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

YAY - Sunshine

 
At 4:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again God heard the prayers of so many. Praying for a calm restful night for the two of you.I wouldn't unpack those bags either, coz you and Ash will be moving on out of that PICU soon and going for walks outside. Stay strong Trish, you have a mighty force of prayer warriors ready and willing to carry you and Ash in prayer forever. Continuing to pray. God Bless..Karen

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger kingfamily said...

Still here praying for you & Ashley! You don't have to be strong, God will give you all the strength you need!
Brandi in PA :)

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

I have a quick question for you - have you ever done the Bible Study Live a Praying Life by Jennifer Kennedy Dean? I just completed it - I have a copy and I am going to send it to you. If you have already done it or are not interested feel free to give it to someone else that you run into that might be able to use it for their walk - it is a great study! Forgot to mention that several times when I have commented so thought I would now :) Hugs!!! Sunshine

 
At 5:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful that prayers were answered once again. I KNOW that God is waiting to hear from us and is always taking care of our sweet Ashley Kate and her weary mommy and daddy, as well as her brother and sister. I think back over the past two years and He has been so faithful - she has been "delivered" so many times from the hands of the enemy, and for that I'm so thankful! He never promised us a life without problems or heartaches, but He did promise to never leave us nor forsake us and He has proven His promises over and over again with Ash. I'm so thankful for His ever present grace and goodness and mercy! My prayers will continue and He will continue to carry the family through and send blessings! His mercy truly endures forever! Love and Hugs, Grandma

 
At 5:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a roller coaster of emotions you have been going through. But isn't it awesome that we serve a God who is there with is in the highs as well as the lows? He is sovereign and He is good. Prayers are continuing to be lifted on your behalf and on Ashley's.
-Cari in Arkansas

 
At 5:23 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

Once again I am so grateful that a procedure went well and Ashley is on her way to recovery. Praying for that mystery fluid to vanish and her lungs go back to normal. Trish, it is okay to be a wimp when it comes to them poking and prodding on your little girl. Who wouldn't? This little princess has been through so much. Praying for a peaceful remainder of the day and wonderful sleep tonight. Please Lord, keep Ashley from removing any necessary attachments off her body.

Laurie in Ca.

 
At 5:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only is God good, He is fast! I'm so glad that this afternoon has brought you some peace, some good outcomes to procedures that you must be SO tired of Ashley having to go through.

Praying that the night produces even more healing and resolution!

 
At 5:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that procedure is over!!! Hope the suction works and that air pocket is removed!!! Still praying back here at home and still looking for a Miracle~~~
Hope you both get some quality rest. Just know your support group is here for you.
Much love, Janiece

 
At 6:02 PM , Blogger Keri said...

Glad to hear that hurdle is over and done with! I'll now be praying that all the fluid drains from her lung, then her heart, very very quickly, so that you can move on back to the original goal of getting her bowel healthy.

And Trish, you ARE brave. Take it from someone on the outside looking in, hearing about everything you've done to care for your daughter. YOU ARE BRAVE!!!

 
At 6:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you guys made it through the procedure. Our God is so good. I am continually praying for you guys and I look forward to hearing more updates on little Ash!!! Keep hoping!

 
At 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

More praying here in CT. Wishing I could do more for you, Ashley and the rest of the family at home. We pray, my son included Ashley in our prayers at dinner. She is being thought of and prayed for by so so many. It's actually quite beautiful. And I do believe it is working. Keep believing.
xo, Heidi

 
At 7:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

praying for some rest and a smooth night.
Beth

 
At 7:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

God be with you and that precious little one...praying for her (quick) healing! Trust in the Almighty!

With Much Love and Prayers,
Heather and Family :)

 
At 8:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remember 27 years ago when my 8 mo old was in a croup tent on new years eve. i felt so sorry for him, i crawled in with him. the nurses thought i was crazy!! i hope you save these pictures and your posts for ashley's future husband - actually, for her fiance so he'll know what he's getting into - a spirited, stubborn, determined young lady!!! praying still for all of you (and saying a quick little prayer each time i log on and before i pull up her blog!) jan431

 
At 8:42 PM , Blogger Amy T said...

Good news! Now, I pray you're both able to sleep well tonight.

 
At 8:52 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

Thank You Jesus, for another win in the battle for Ashley's health. You are the true physician! In Jesus' name. Amen.

Trish, I'm so relieved for you. I hope you and Ashley and Dave and Allie and Blake have a most restful evening. ((hugs)) gretchen

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger KM said...

Good night sweet family. each of you. My prayers go before me. My prayers will be lifted up even as I sleep.

Praying for His peaceful rest for each of you tonight.

Kristi in texas

 
At 9:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you "both" made it through the procedure. Yippee! Know I continue to pray daily.

Shari

 
At 9:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that the drain went in without issue. We are praying! ~Chan~

 
At 9:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying you two girls rest well tonight! I love you, Grandma

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home