Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

12/06/2007

More Than Wonderful

There are no words to describe how truly wonderful it was to have Ashley Kate back home with our family. From the moment we walked into the door(it was 8a.m. on Saturday morning) she started smiling. Ash knew she was home. It was her home full of the familiarity she knew. Just seeing the recognition on her face warmed my heart. Our time spent there with Dave, Blake and Allie was more than wonderful.

I love our little yellow house. I love the feeling it brings to my heart. I love knowing that inside its walls my children grow. I tiptoed into Blake's room and snuggled in next to him on his bed. His eyes didn't open as I kissed that handsome forehead, but a smile came across his face. I love that child! My heart was so full at that moment I could actually feel it. Next I began to look for my beautiful Allison Brooke. I eventually found her snuggled up under the blankets on my side of the bed sleeping with her head on my pillow. She often sleeps there when she is missing me. She was so beautiful! Instead of waking her I just stood there and stared. Her hair was all messy and she has never looked prettier to me. I kissed her on the forehead and immediately her long lashes began to flutter. A smile broke out across her sleepy face and she said, "Hi, mommy." I snuggled in next to her and smelled her yummy hair.

My time home was too brief, but I held on to every single minute of it. I enjoyed my children and all they had to share with me. I heard story after story about anything and everything. Allie and went I Christmas shopping. We bought package after packaged of lights for the house AND the yard. She tried her best to get an inflatable snow globe for our yard, but I just couldn't go there. Not in Texas. It just doesn't look right when the mums are still in bloom and the geraniums are looking better than when I left. We settled for a family of deer. Blake and I hit baseballs in his cage(I hadn't even had the opportunity to see it. This was his big birthday surprise.) He laughed and laughed at me as I would exclaim with every single hit, "That one WAS a home run!" Dave sat on the rooftop(pausing from his job of hanging the lights) and laughed along with Blake as he would say,"Yeah, right mom." I didn't care what those guys thought about my hitting. I knew I was good and I loved having the opportunity to enjoy my son's favorite past time with him. Later on Blake joined Dave on the roof top to help and they treated all us (along with our neighbors) with a holiday dance show that had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. I would have bought tickets to see it. We did things like decorate Christmas trees, enjoy lunch dates, play board games, cook dinner, attend basketball practice, wrap gifts, watch movies, hang out on the couch, play with Ashley Kate, giggle at our bundle of HOPE who honestly believes she was born to be a lion but somehow got stuck with her little 1lb body. We enjoyed the simplest of things. Warm chocolate chip cookies had never tasted better. Holding Dave's hand had never been more meaningful. Goodnight Moon being read to Ashley Kate by her big brother or her big sister had never sounded more interesting. Family life is a gift. The everyday, mundane is a gift.

I stand by our decision to push for this visit home. Ash needed it as much as the rest of us. It was the BEST thing we could have done. We are a family and we need each other. We need Ashley Kate to come home for good. She is happier there and everything that she knows and loves is inside our home. I will not cease to ask the Father for this. I don't know if He will allow it, but I am asking.

We arrived back in Omaha this morning around 5a.m. Our clinic appointment is scheduled for 1:00. We also have a biopsy scheduled tomorrow. By Saturday we should know if our sweet Ashley Kate has slipped back into rejection. Her stool output has started to improve the last 48 hours and is actually under 800ccs in 24 hours. Its not ideal, but it is better and I am encouraged. Other than her stooling issues she looks amazing! She is happy and beautiful and excited about the white stuff falling outside our windows. You wouldn't believe how cold it is outside for these Texas girls.

Thank You for continuing to check on Ash and for praying for her during my absence. I took advantage of all our time together and actually neglected her journal. Would you please remember the families of the victims here in Omaha from yesterday. I have shopped in that very store many times over the last year and I am so hurt for those who will not celebrate this holiday season but will now mourn. I can't understand the depth of their pain, but I can pray for them.

Have a wonderful day as you prepare for the season. I just love Christmas time and knowing that you are all in you homes with your families preparing for your own celebrations warms my heart. This life is more than wonderful. Wouldn't you agree? Your are loved. Trish

34 Comments:

At 10:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart was just bursting reading those words. I was so excited all weekend for you knowing you were home. I pray that your appointment goes well today and that no rejection is found.
Sincerely,
A friend in MI and in Christ

 
At 10:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish ~

I am so thankful that your time home was wonderful. What a blessing for the 5 of you to be together - even if it was a short visit. I smiled all weekend knowing that your family was together. The happiness in your heart shines through in this post. Thankful also that Ashley felt good and enjoyed her visit.

Praying today for good news during Ashley's appointment and will be praying tomorrow for a good report from the biopsy.

Holding you close! Hugs from Texas!

Love, Jule White

 
At 10:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you and the time you shared, the memories you made! It sounds like your time home was amazing! How often we take for granted the mundane moments in our lives- yet they are hte ones that our children remember and value the most!

Praying for a positive clinic appointment and biposy! Also, praying that the doctors will see how good the trip home was for Ashley and grant you a trip home for Christmas!

We missed you while you were gone, but I kept smiling at the happiness you must be feeling! What a joy it was to know that things were well with the Adams family, now that you were all together!

 
At 11:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! It's great to hear all of this Trish!!! I am praying for Ashley not to be in rejection!! I am praying also that you and her may go back home for Christmas! This is such awesome news! So very special to spend time with family. Doctors are wonderful,we couldn't live without them...but family & laughter can sometimes be the best medicine!
I am so uplifted by your post!! So very thankful you & Ashley are feeling better!
I did hear about the horrible tragedy in Omaha. So extremely sad. I have been praying for their families also.
May God Bless you and your family this CHRISTmas season!
~Okla

 
At 11:13 AM , Blogger Dee Dee said...

Thanks for the update. That post and the two before it are like my own Christmas card from your family.
Praying for Ashley's appointment!

 
At 11:14 AM , Blogger camille said...

Sounds like you and Ash had such a wonderful time at home. You've encouraged me to really enjoy the everyday stuff of life at home that I so easily take for granted. Thank you for reminding me of that gift.

 
At 11:14 AM , Blogger Dee Dee said...

Oops, and the one before it. They are so full of warmth and joy!

 
At 11:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Trish and Ashley, How heart warming it is to read your words today. What wonderful..beautiful..special memories were made with your sweet family. We missed your updates but the time you all got to spend together was so very worth the wait. Will be praying for uplifting news today and for no rejection. Is there a chance you may get the ok to be MIA for Christmas? Praying for that also. May your day be filled with sunshine and God's promises..God Bless..Karen.

 
At 11:28 AM , Blogger Tiffany Harper said...

I am just bursting after reading this post. I am so glad you and Ash enjoyed this trip home. You are right, you all needed this, especially Ashley.

Praying for good news today and that this trip home was just what she needed to speed up her recovery.

Blessings!

 
At 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Might not write as often, but each and every day you are on my mind and being prayed for. May your blessings continue.
Heidi in CT

 
At 12:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! It brought a huge smile to my face. We are so thankful that you all got to go home for a visit. What a wonderful blessing!

Praying for a good appointment today. We'll pray for tomorrow's biopsy to bring a good report.

Love in Christ,
Lori and family

 
At 12:32 PM , Blogger Nikki said...

Trish,
I am so glad that you had a good "vacation" with your family. I am praying that you and Ashley Kate will be home for Christmas. By the way, what is your new address?

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger Kristy said...

Goodness, how I love this family - and I don't even know you!
Thank you.
Thank you for teaching me (and I'm sure many, many others) so much.....
You are all so very precious.
Blessings ~

 
At 1:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, if I want goosebumps and tears, all I have to do is come here! Your post was so joyful to read! It sounds like it was a VERY therapeutic trip for all of you, and I am thrilled that you were blessed with the opportunity for you and Ash to get out of Dodge for a brief time!

Praying for good biopsy results and another trip home SOON!

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Trish,
I am glad you arrived back safely. Sorry you couldn't stay at home longer. I pray that Ashely's stool continues to lessen and maybe she will be home for Christmas or atleast New Year.

Michelle (Huntsville, AL)

 
At 1:49 PM , Blogger Laurie in Ca. said...

My heart got so warm and tingly reading your account of the holiday time at home. Trish, I am praying for Ashley to continue healing and that the staff there sees how improved she is by being surrounded by love and home. Christmas is my prayer goal for you every day. I hope your heart filled up with enough reserve to keep you going until you pack up to go home for good. I thought of you as the news came in yesterday about the Omaha tragedy, praying you weren't there getting some last minute things before getting back to your room. I am praying for the families who were shattered with no warning. God bless you as Ashley gets her biopsy and may the results be absolutely positive for continued healing. May your hopes stay high in the Lord to bring all of this to a good end in time for Christmas, My prayer for you today.
Laurie in Ca.

 
At 1:53 PM , Blogger Holly said...

Wonderful! Continuing to pray you both home.
Love,
Holly

 
At 2:37 PM , Blogger Sunshine said...

Oh this sounds like it WAS an AMAZING time - much needed and it sounds like it did much good to all of your hearts! Praise God for allowing you all such a sweet time - un-interupted and beautiful! We will be in prayer for the results of todays tests and send you all warm hugs! Sunshine

 
At 2:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trish,

I'm praying you will both be home long before Christmas! What a blessing to have your all too brief visit. I wish everyone enjoyed their home and family as much as you do. What a wonderful blessing that would be! Thanks for keeping us posted as we pray very specifically.

Blessings from snowy Michigan,
Becky

 
At 2:44 PM , Blogger Keri said...

I'm so glad you all made it back to Omaha safely and that you were able to enjoy every minute of being home. I was definitely praying for those very things the whole time you all were home! I also prayed that you wouldn't have too tough a time returning to Omaha after being at home. You didn't mention that specifically here, but based on the tone of your "voice," it sounds like you're doing okay.

Prayer will continue for Ashley Kate's freedom from rejection and continued improvements!

 
At 3:05 PM , Blogger Shari said...

I am excited to read your words, Trish. Life definitely takes on a new meaning when you are away from family for an extended period of time. Thank you for the continued lessons you teach through your posts. Do not feel bad for neglecting your journal. I am so happy you had such a wonderful time. I am praying that she is allowed to go home for Christmas, if not for good.

Loving you from afar and praying too!

Shari

 
At 4:12 PM , Blogger Monique said...

I just read this at work and teared up reading seeing your two kiddos in bed when you arrived home. Your family has such love and it shines though. Glad you made it safely back. I will be praying the appt goes well.

 
At 4:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is so good and your story is so dear to my heart. I too am praying you two home for good. God Bless.

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

I was getting worried when you weren't showing up on my bloglines...it is strange to be worried about a family I've never met but have grown to love. You are so funny! I love that you actually could hit the ball, I would have just been ducking and running for cover, ha ha ha!

Will be praying for you guys!
Love,
Tamara

 
At 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Trish - I think if she were home there would be SO MUCH more improvment. She would have the WANT to get better and that helps. Being home helps her little body feel relaxed. We prayed for every once of grace to be bestowed upon your family this weekend... LOVE YOU TONS

Heidi

 
At 7:25 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

Thank-you for reminding us of what most of us take for granted-having our family all together under one roof. God bless you and praying tomorrow as you await those results. Either way, this visit had to have been good for her tiny soul. :)
d

 
At 8:45 PM , Blogger Elizabeth S said...

My heart is full just hearing about your time at home. I am so glad it went well, and you got your cup filled for a while.

 
At 8:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like such a wonderful visit!! I'm sure it did you both a world of good! I'll be praying for good test results & appt.

 
At 9:30 PM , Blogger Gretchen said...

I'm thrilled that your visit home was as good and sweet as could ever be expected. Praying you home for Christmas. Praising that you got your pass and that you got to enjoy your whole family--if only for awhile. God really refreshes, doesn't He?

 
At 9:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy for you all and your time together at home! Praying for no rejection and Christmas in Texas!

 
At 12:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

PRAISE HIM~~~~for the "more than wonderful" time you spent in your own home, with ALL your children, in one place, together making more wonderful memories.
I bet that holiday dance show on the roof would have been a hit on "The Funniest Home Videos" ~~~would loved to have seen it.
Your detailed description of your few days at home is what the true meaning of family should be all about. Thank you for reminding us what is really important and that family is truly a gift.
Praying for all good results from tests and biopsy and that you are granted a quick turn-a-round trip back home.
Love and prayers~~~Janiece

 
At 6:00 AM , Blogger Julie said...

What a Blessing for your family to be all togther. Your words are such an encouragement to me. Thank you so much for reminding me to enjoy these special every day moments with my family.

Blessings,
Julie

 
At 6:38 AM , Blogger Amy T said...

I am so happy for you that the trip went so well. I hope it's been refreshing and strengthening for you. I'm leaving for Dallas this morning but I'll be praying for the biopsy. My cousin Jeff was in a car accident last Thursday and this is my first chance to go see him. Please pray for him. He's still critical, and they are letting him wake up for the first time today. Please pray for his family (he's not married and has no kids, but his parents, siblings, etc. need prayer) and him as he has several broken bones and they removed his spleen. We are praying for no brain damage and will find out today once he wakes up. Sorry that was so long, but I want to make sure there are prayers everywhere for him. Thank you and I'm so happy for you, Trish!

 
At 9:10 AM , Blogger Gram said...

praying for amy's brother and for healing. i'm so happy that your trip went so very well. what a wonderful time of year to be together, even if for just a little. please pray for my daughter. i've been following so many blogs in the last year - blogs like yours and particularly blogs of young mothers who lose their babies to trisomy 18. i couldn't figure out why i was so drawn to these stories of hope and faith in the midst of uncertainty and despair. was God preparing me for my own story - that of my daughter's? i ask that anyone who has commented on these blogs, please give my daughter words of encouragement. her blogsite is liambyrd.blogspot.com she needs you. jan431

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home