Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/26/2007

She is an amazing woman.

Here goes my stab at the emotional girly stuff.

Lately I have been thinking more about the woman God put into my life. He had a wonderful plan for me and I am so thankful that he chose me to be Trish’s husband. As hard as it is to live so far apart I can see how God is using this situation to teach me more about the person he chose to bless me with. I have read that when a man and a woman get married they are to become one. One of the reasons this time apart is so challenging is that Trish and I have become one and part of me is missing. She gives so much to me. She gave up her ambitions, goals and dreams so that I could pursue mine. While I was selfishly pursuing my goals she was selflessly allowing me to do so. After surviving way too many years of school and starting a private practice with all of its challenges it has become my job to make a living, and her job to make living worthwhile. She has done her job well. One of our highest priorities when we began our family was for Trish to stay at home and be the mother to our children we believed God called her to be. We have been willing to give up many of the more material possessions to make that priority a reality. Often friends would ask us why we drive the old cars we drive. Why didn’t we just go out and buy a new one. Why were we living in a duplex, why didn’t we just go buy a new house? When we did get a house some wondered why did we get an older, smaller home? Why not a nicer newer one in a better neighborhood? Simply, it was our priority to raise our family the way we believed God called us to do it. We passed on the new cars and the fancy house because we felt we needed to honor God for blessing us with children. God has blessed our effort and blessed my kids with a wonderful mother.

Ashley’s Story has taught me so much. I learn something new each time I read a new post Trish has put on the journal. I am amazed by her writings. It is exciting to see God use my wife to teach me lessons He wants me to learn. It is exciting to see the spiritual growth in her and us as a family. God is using some pretty hard times to grow our faith. I pray that we are growing in our marriage even with the distance between us. I pray that when Trish returns home I will be a better husband and father than when she left. I pray that I will be more of a gentleman. I pray that I will be a better provider not only financially but emotionally and spiritually as well. I pray that I sacrifice more to make her happy. I pray that I will be a better listener, not just try to figure out a solution and fix the problem. I pray that I will be easier to talk with and more sensitive to her feelings. I pray that I would admit my weaknesses. I pray that I would be the one she comes to when she needs someone to talk to. I pray that I will listen more and remember more. I pray that I will make her feel loved and cherished. I pray that I will have a kind heart. I pray that I will be more appreciative of all she does for our family. I pray that I will be able to make her laugh more. I pray that I would be a positive role model for my kids. I pray that I will give more to her and to my family and focus less on my personal wants and needs. I pray that God would mold me into a better husband while she is away.

As I think about why it is so hard to be apart it is not the daily things she did to keep things going. (Maybe I didn’t appreciate enough all the details of what she does everyday). No, it’s not that stuff, but it is the intangible things she brings to my life that I miss so much. It is being able to watch her show me the good in people even when I think they are bad. It is the way she has taught me love everyone even when they are unlovable. It is how she is teaching me to see people as Christ sees us. It is her compassion and sensitivity. It is the way she nurtures and provides for our family. It is the attention to details that she is aware of that I don’t do so well on. It is the way she holds my hand under my pillow every night as we fall asleep. It is her loyalty and love for me when I am not always the easiest one to deal with. It is the way she puts her trust and faith in me as a husband and father. It is the commitment she has to our marriage. It is the positive effect she has on me when I walk in the door after a particularly long day at work. It is the way she turns our house into a home. It is the way she brings feelings and emotions into my life of logical decision making. It is the way she will put God first, family second and only then all the rest of the stuff in life. It is the way she takes the time to make sure each one of our children feels special. It is the balance that she creates in my life. It is when I feel her hand reaching for the popcorn as we share a bowl while sitting next to each other on the sofa watching a movie. It is the funny songs she sings to me that absolutely drive me crazy. It is wrestling with her and roughhousing with each other. It is playing a board game with her. In general it is that she is my very best friend. It is that she is part of me and she completes me. We are one.

Dave

7 Comments:

At 2:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I pray God's richest blessings on you both! It is through the valleys we grow and I can see tremendous growth in both of you. I love you both and all three of your kids so very much. My prayers continue daily for you all! I'm so proud to be your mom, Trish's mother-in-law, and Grandma to the kids. Our Father has truly blessed us all on a daily basis. My heart smiles with yours as I think of you two being one. Love and Hugs, Mom/Grandma

 
At 3:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest post. Thank you for sharing.

You two are very blessed to have each other.

 
At 3:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did a great job!!! Watch out cuz Trish might make you start posting some. Without a doubt...the two of you become one at marriage...it is so obvious in how you write about one another. What a blessing you are to each other and to others. I am always telling my husband he is my completer and without him I am not complete...that is what I see in the two of you. May God continue to wrap His loving arms around Ashley, Blake and Allie and may He continue to bless your marriage. The Adams family is such an inspiration to so many at this point. You bring joy to my heart and many others I feel sure!

 
At 6:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are so sweet to one another....what a blessing.

 
At 6:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you took a stab at it...and hit the target....right in the bullseye!!! how awesome....thanks for sharing your heart...we are all encouraged by it...and i know trish will cherish that particular post for years and years and years!! still praying....

 
At 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still Praying for You Little Ashley,I hope you are feeling better this evening...

 
At 7:44 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

That was so awesome! What special thoughts to share with us, thank you! You guys are pretty amazing...remember it takes courage to take care of the two children at home...it can't be easy. Prayers going out as I type...Tamara

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home