Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

3/22/2007

Mercies

They truly are new every morning. I just love knowing that. God was faithful and delivered us traveling mercies today. We have just arrived home, given meds to Ash, and settled her in with toys all around because she shows NO signs of being as tired as Nan and I are after today. How thankful I am to have made it there and back safely. I tell you after traveling that road between Longview and Dallas for many, many months of Ashley's life I think I could do it with my eyes closed. Oh yeah, I believe I have! Honestly it is amazing to me how smoothly it always goes. I never want to take for granted that it is His protective hand that guides us time and time again on such busy highways. Today was a very long day, but I would gladly travel the highways of Texas a thousand times over as long as it meant that we would be coming home at the end of the day.

Ash did remarkably well today. I would have to say that this was her best chemo day so far. The first hour of the infusion was the most difficult as she adjusted to the feeling of the medicine going in. She shook, screamed, sweat, and disrupted the entire floor, but eventually she began to settle and finally fell asleep. After resting the next hour she woke to play on and off throughout the day. I took some very sweet pictures but I have no idea how to get them on to the computer that I am currently using. I hope that Dave might have some time tomorrow before leaving for his conference to help me. I would love for you all to see how good she is looking. I am really proud of how well she did today. She is such a little fighter.

If you ever need a good dose of perspective or if you are having a tough time counting your blessings I would encourage you to take a walk through the halls of a pediatric oncology floor. We were definitely not the minority today. Our Ashley was surrounded by many, many other little ones struggling in their own fights to beat a disease called cancer. One thing I learned today is that you truly can be a princess without any hair. It doesn't really matter. I saw several beautiful, tiny princesses wearing pink and invinsible crowns today. My heart melted as I watched them cry, hurt, struggle not to get sick, and cling to their mommies just as my Ashley clings on to me. How beautiful they all were. These precious children know what life is all about. They are not dying with cancer, they have figured out how to live with cancer. They made me proud. As I watched my Ashley laugh and giggle at her toys and books I felt so blessed to be her mom. Even though she was weak and feeling yucky she still managed to enjoy as much of her day as she could. I love this little one and I pray that I could only become as brave as my daughter. How blessed we are to have her to love.

I just wanted to touch base and let you all know how our day went. We did make it home to grandma's house safely and I am now going to go take a little "nap" as I listen to my sweet Ashley Kate bang on her piano into the wee morning hours. Silly girl doesn't even know she is supposed to be sleeping. Thank you for loving her today. Thank you for praying her through another tough one. Thank you for caring enough to read her journal. Good night and God Bless you all. Trish

12 Comments:

At 11:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Trish,
I have recently found your blog through Supermom's blog, and I have to tell you, as I have read your blog, from the very first page, I have shed many tears, as many people who read your posts do. BUT I am thankful for every post and every tear,because you have made me realize how blesed I am, that we all are to have our children. Because of you and Ashley I hold my little girl tighter, I kiss her longer and I realize how lucky I am to have her in my arms.

You are such a strong woman , I honestly dont know if I could do all that you do. You are so blessed.

From the bottom of my heart I thank you for sharing Ashley's story with the world. She is a very beautiful and strong little girl. God has huge plans for her. I have been touched by her story and it has changed me, I dont care that I have to stumble over toys first thing in the morning to get to the coffee pot,lol. I dont care that I am up at almost 2 am with Minimama, (her nickname) I dont care about these little annoyances because every time I look into those blue eyes I am reminded of how lucky I am to be her Mom. And I thank you for reminding me of that.

I will continue to pray for your family, and I will keep you in my thoughts.

Sincerely-Mamaofaminimama, Ky.

P.s. My little one loves to see pictures of Ashley, she points at them saying Baby!! And she always kisses the monitor. :o)

 
At 12:34 AM , Blogger Shari F. said...

Trish-I am so glad my prayers were answered today and that Ashley did OK despite a rough beginning of the infusion. She is a tough little girl.

Jesus, please allow Trish to rest tonight and please calm little Ashley so she will rest too. Protect her body and keep her safe. Thank you for her precious family and that she's home with her daddy and brother and sister. Thank you Jesus, for the blessing this family is to me and plenty of others. Thank you Lord for their testimony. In Jesus Name, Amen.

I love you guys!

Shari

 
At 4:48 AM , Blogger Carey said...

Im glad things went well for you and Ashley. I pray you have another great day today.

 
At 5:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So grateful the chemo went better today...you are always in my prayers. May God bless you today!

~Erica

 
At 6:20 AM , Blogger Paige said...

Trish, so glad to hear that you had a safe trip and that things went well. I hope that you and Ashley were both able to get some rest last night. Isn't it funny how after a trip the children are awake and the parents are exhausted?! Thank you for sharing! Love and hugs!

 
At 8:45 AM , Blogger Staci Barham said...

Glad to hear that you all had a safe trip to Dallas and that Ashley did good today...can't wait to see the pictures you are talking about. My heart goes out to all the little ones that you saw yesterday...we will keep them in our prayers as well. Hope you guys got some rest and have a great day :)!!

 
At 8:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish,
Glad you made it home safely. Prayers were answered, even with 4 hours of traveling you got through the day faster than the previous time in Omaha! Glad things went well.
Have a great weekend enjoying your girls! And I'm voting on Allie's side - take her with you Monday!

Marlain

 
At 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's such a blessing that God allowed all to go through this chemo treatment smoothly. I couldn't leave this morning without at least touching Ash on the top of the head. What a huge blessing it was to talk to her for just a few minutes and see her awesome smile! God is so good! My prayers go with her throughout each and every day and I see the Lord answering all the time. I'm so excited to have everyone together - again I have to say GOD IS GOOD! Love and Hugs, Grandma

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger Amy T said...

So glad it went as well as it did. Will continue to pray. God bless your family (as He obviously already is). He's definitely blessing the rest of us through you!

 
At 10:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home and so glad chemo went better this last time! Still checking on you but you have enough on your plate without an unexpected visit from me. Just know you are in my thoughts, and I am here if you need something.

 
At 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad to hear the chemo went so much better than last time!!! and glad the travel was smooth and safe!!
still praying--

 
At 5:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.” (James 1:12) I just wanted to let you know that we are praying for all the little princesses in the halls of hospitals, and especially for ya'll!
Blessings!
Laura and Rachel Roller

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home