Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

4/22/2007

A Little Something I've Learned

Today I am at our house. Alone. Just me and the mess. I came to try and make a difference(again). After a few moments of tripping over 2 by 4's and slipping in sheet rock dust I came to a realization. At this point trying to establish some type of order in this uninhabited home is ridiculous. So I laughed at myself and walked outside to really get dirty. That's right I have picked back up my rake, my hoe, and shovel and I have decided to continue to playing in the dirt. At least I can see the progress I am making out there( all be it slow going).

Remember the hallelujah chorus I was singing but a mere two weeks ago when I heard a knock at my door and there stood the three men who I thought were the answer to my prayers? The contractors? Well, to make a long story short we decided against hiring them to do the job. When they returned to me a bid that more than DOUBLED what I believed was a fair and generous amount to spend on the remainder of this project I could not with good faith spend that kind of money. So we began to plug away again an hour here and an hour there. Then we were sent another knock at the door. This time the men that stood before me and looked at what was left to be done quoted us a very fair price and we agreed to give them the job. The only problem was that they could not start until around the 4th of May. So upon the impending start day to complete our bathroom remodel I am planning(or hoping) to move our family back to our home about the 3rd or 4th week of May.

Through this journey we have been on for almost 2 years now I have come to learn many things. One of the most important things I have learned through this process is that EVERYONE has an opinion. One of the next most important things I have learned is that I do not have to take to heart EVERY ONE'S opinion. Not everyone who has something to say to you or about you does it with a helpful heart. Some people just like to be heard and in being heard tend to pass judgement. I am truly learning something I have always said that I believe. Everyone has good sides to offer you and bad sides to offer you. I have tried to live my life in such a way that I take the good in people and appreciate it, listen to it, love it, and become thankful for it. The bad that they offer I just leave where they left it and walk away. Never in my life has this become more true than now. I have come to a place in my life where there is no place for passing judgement on others and how they live their lives or the decisions they make. I truly believe that all of us are here doing the best we know how with each situation that the Father has handed us. In my own life and in our Ashley's Story I am striving to do and to make the best decisions that I know how to make. I seek and I search for guidance and I pray that He takes care of the rest. Whether it be the transplant center we chose or the contractor we hire to finish this silly house I am trying to do what is right for our family according to what He shows me. It may not be right for everyone, but it is what I feel led is right for my family.

So I say all of this not because anyone has left an unfair comment, opinion, or judgement, but because I look around at the world I live in with my Ashley(the transplant world) and I hear and see many who have opinion's to give to those of us who are trudging along this path. Some of them are helpful and insightful, but many of them do nothing more than cause doubt and pain to an already struggling family. I would like to say to my fellow transplant families that I support you, I want to encourage you, I pray for you, and I am pulling for you. I know this path is difficult. It is hard and it hurts, but it also gives us hope. It gives us time with our children, and if we allow it to it teaches us about the important things in life. Things like family, true friends, true faith, and appreciation for all of the above. You may be making decisions for your child that others disagree with and will pass judgement on you for making, but rest assured that I KNOW with all that I am that the Father specifically chose you to be the parent to your child and He has placed you in this position because He trusts you with something very precious to His heart. Your child. Keep looking up. Keep walking along side your brave babies, and keep in mind there is another family that has been there and we love you and support you. May God bless you as you log another day of memories inside of your heart. Trish

P.S.
I am off to play in the dirt because it feels good to get dirty every now and then. Take care.

1 Comments:

At 5:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish--I personally, have learned so much from YOU! You never cease to amaze me how God uses you and your words to minister to others. I wish I was there to give you one HUGE hug and love on you and your precious family.

Thank you for posting today. It blessed my life!

Shari

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home