Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

4/22/2007

Please Don't Put Him in a Box!

The more I think about the comments left to me by "anonymous" the more I feel like yelling from the rooftops,"Don't Put HIM in a Box!" The God that I serve is so much more than what some must think of Him. He doesn't belong in the bottom of a box and tied up neatly with a bow to fit a definition of who He is and what is His will for all of us is. I really think some have missed who He is.

To say that a professional athlete can not be a "committed Christian" and doesn't attend church and doesn't read the Bible is almost hysterical to me. When I shared the statement with my son he said, "WHAT! are they kidding?" If some think that Sunday morning service attendance is what it takes to be a "committed Christian" then I am sorry for them and the smallness of the faith that it takes to believe that. What do some say to the single mom who must work at her job,the very one that God allowed to her have, but must be absent on Sunday mornings from her church? Is she not a "committed Christian"? What do some say to the elderly shut in who no longer has the eyesight to read His word or the ability to drive to services on Sundays? Are they no longer "committed Christians"? What do some say to the thousands of doctors and nurses who work in our hospitals to provide care to even the youngest of His creation on Sunday mornings? Are they not allowed to be in this definition of a "committed Christian"? What about the soldier on the battlefield who protects our very freedom each and every Sunday morning? Is he not a "committed Christian"? What about the child in Africa who has no church to attend on a Sunday morning and no Bible to read in their language, but has a faith in the very God who they see in the clouds, across the plains, and feel in their hearts? Are they not a part of this definition of a "committed Christian"? What about Emmit Smith, Deon Sanders and the many, many, many other professional athletes who live their faith daily and serve the God who does not belong in that box? I dare say their influence and their faith reaches thousands of young people daily as they share their testimonies of who God is in their lives. Honestly, do some people really think a professional athlete has no chance to be a "committed Christian"?

Too many times in our society I believe that we place limitations on who the God of this universe is. We like to tell Him where He can show up, what He is allowed to do, and where He should not go. We have no right! Please allow Him to show up when, where, and how He would like and then sit back and see what He can do.

To be a committed Christian it takes so much more than church attendance. It comes from a belief in who He is, what He did for us, and how much He loves us. It has nothing to do with attendance, religions, regulations, or requirements. It is about Jesus. Pure and simple. It is about your relationship with Him not about how many weekends you are away from your place of worship. Worship comes from our heart and it can and does take place outside of the church building as well as inside of it. This is what I choose to teach my children. I choose to teach them about building their relationship with Christ regardless of where they are and that can take place on the ballfield, in a restaraunt, on your couch, in the trenches, on a plain in Africa, in a hospital or any other place we are looking for Him( as well as in the pew on a Sunday morning).

Please don't take this the wrong way. We all have a right to our opinions, but the only one that matters is HIS.

11 Comments:

At 9:48 PM , Blogger dreamingBIGdreams said...

VERY well said! I too am ashamed when people use rules as their basis of their Christianity. I think Jesus would be embarassed sometimes at how we define him.

Great post. Love it!

 
At 9:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Trish!!....You took the words out of my mouth...only they are much much nicer and better spoken;) I read the post earlier and all evening I was sitting here thinking...really you can't be a professional athlete and a christian at the same time??? What? I kept asking myself....I would go back and reread the post to make sure I understood it....I feel like I am an intelligent person...but maybe something got lost between the post and my brain...I mean where do these people come from??? Why in this society that we live in do we feel it necessary to speak such harsh, nasty, and completly off the wall comments as that? "Some" people are just the type to find the negative in everything...I have written you before and am doing it again...you are an inspiration...i read this blog daily...you are helping me (and countless others) be a better wife, christian, mother, co-worker, and friend....just a better person period. Please continue with this ministry that he has chosen for you.....May God Continue to Bless You!!!!!

 
At 9:50 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Our church has Saturday night services--quite a few professional athletes attend then, so that they can be a part of the church as well as be faithful to their teams. And my husband is in the ministry--he works every Sunday. Does that make him an uncommitted Christian? Of course not; that's ridiculous! And so are those earlier comments made by Anonymous.

Good for you for defending yourself so eloquently! I think I can tell that those comments aren't as hurtful to you this time--not because they weren't awful, but because you have gotten so strong. I admire you, Trish. You are a shining light for Jesus!!

 
At 9:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot even believe how mean spirited the comments a few posts were. God is so huge. A few months ago I visited a local church and saw a sermon from Passion 07 with Louie Giglio and was blown away. He was showing pictures of our solar system and in one a satelite "happened" to catch a photo with the sun rays and what looked to be a speck of dust - you know when you are vacuuming on a sunny day and you catch a glimpse of the dust floating in the air? Well it was earth...we are so small - earth is so small and our time here is so short - a blip on the screen. God wants us to live pointing people back to Him - in our speech, our lives, and our thoughts...even through our failures. Hopefully even with such mean comments it still points us back to God - if for nothing else than to pray for God to soften their hearts. Trish and Dave you both have continually inspired me to live a more authentic life...please don't let the negative things discourage you from you ministry on this site. It blesses, touches, and reaches further than you realize. Your walk with God is something between you and Him...didn't He say not to look upon another's servant and judge them? You keep walking and looking up and I pray He places a hedge of protection and security around you. Thanks again for sharing your hearts. Sunshine

 
At 10:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen....amen....amen!

 
At 10:11 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

GO GIRL!! YOU NAILED IT!!!

 
At 12:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish--I also agree it was very well said. Stay strong girl! I believe every single thing you wrote! I also, can tell you are stronger. Your eloquence amazes me!

Shari

 
At 6:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN Trish! I am speechless! Other than, still praying in Alabama!

 
At 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said! I am so thankful that you and your family wish to share the most intimate workings of God in your lives. Thank you for sharing how God is working "outside of the box". His presence is seen daily in your lives.

 
At 10:17 AM , Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

Stay Strong - there are so many out here praying with you and your family. xoxo

 
At 1:23 PM , Blogger Mrs. C said...

"We all have a right to our opinions, but the only one that matters is HIS."

Perfect summation of how we should live our lives--concerned ONLY with His plan and purpose.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home