Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

4/30/2007

Vision

Tonight Dave came home from the office and jumped into the flower beds to help me for my birthday. As he worked on removing an old tree stump that had roots in all the wrong places for my planned extension he was struggling to see my vision. Dirt. I am afraid that is all he could see. Hard work. Still not capturing my vision. I tried to explain my plan. Moving this row of bushes from in front of the house to the front of the classroom. Taking these 3 bushes from along the walk and lining them in the row that I just removed the others from. Removing that old tree stump to make more space in the shade bed. Shaking his head at me while he continued to fight the old stump he said, "I just don't get it." He likes the dirt we have planted and really doesn't care to see the beds in bloom again, but here is the catch, tomorrow is my birthday and in our house the rule is that you HAVE to be nice to the one celebrating. So moving bushes, tree stumps, and whatever else gets in the way of the "vision" has to be done. Allie walked up behind him and said, "Is that a little murmuring and complaining I hear? Do all things without murmuring and complaining and do them for the glory of the Lord. Did you know that daddy?" We laughed and laughed. Sometimes it takes a word of wisdom from one of the children to set us straight. I am so glad she can see my "vision" and that she even had a little scripture to back it up!

As we worked I could see it. I could see us both sitting on the front porch with Ash on our laps drinking ice water and looking out across the lovely, blooming, flower beds watching Blake and Al play. Just the five of us relaxing together with no more work to be done. This is my vision for the family. I am looking forward to it becoming a reality just as soon as we move home.

Ash had a pretty good day. A little nausea and vomiting, but not enough to keep her from smiling and playing. She spent the afternoon and evening playing inside Nan's as we worked. She seems to be making a little more progress each day. I know the things we report her doing don't seem that amazing to some, but we are amazed with each and every accomplishment. Giving thanks for the smallest of things, because they will one day lead to bigger ones. Tonight her brother and sister were placing plastic Easter eggs on her head. When they would fall off she would pick them up and try to place them back on top of her head. This is HUGE. She was understanding the game, picking up the pieces using her hands, and attempting to balance them back on top of her head. Tonight Allie told me that she can "just see Ash in 3 or 4 years with NO tubes, or wires to watch out for and being ready to be picked up and snuggled without having to be careful." I hope that happens for all of their sakes. If they could just snuggle her and wrestle her and play with her without all the rest it would be so good for them all. If it doesn't happen then that will be ok too. They are learning ways to get around all of her extra stuff to play with her and love on her.

Tonight I am thankful for "vision". The ability to see past the present circumstance and see what will be. Without vision I am afraid that there are some days that things around me might swallow me up. I know that even when I struggle to see the "vision" that He already sees it and knows it. There is a plan and He is working it for our good. I know it.

11 Comments:

At 11:08 PM , Blogger sarahdodson said...

How wonderful to read that! It's so good to be grateful for the "small" things. I'm amazed at how the Lord has blessed you and your family and your dear daughter. He's certainly brought you through a LOT. What a sweet attitude you continue to have and what a testimony it is of the grace of God in your life.
Happy Birthday!

 
At 11:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see that Texas lawn just a bloomin', with ice tea in your hand. Laughter of children filling the air...Ashley is the loudest one too with butterflies fluttering over her. I cannot let your family know enough how you have touched our lives. Ashley is right in the palm of God's hand. He indeed smiles when He sees her:) Colleen

 
At 11:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish,
Since you are a child of the King then I guess that makes you the Birthday Princess. May you have a royal day and may all your wishes and dreams, along with your "vision" come true.
What an incredible year you have had and the many wonderous things God has shown you even through the most difficult times as you traveled this long winding road. He has been your Navigator all through the journey of Ashley's Story. He is the One who knows your destination so just keep your
eyes on Him and look for all the many blessings He has in store for you, Dave and your three beautiful children.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!~~~~~!!!

 
At 11:37 PM , Blogger Mayhem And Miracles said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy that one big wonderful present, especially - the one wrapped up in a pink head bow!

 
At 12:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I am happy to read Ash is progressing with her motor skills and knowledge. What a great b-day gift to see that. I'm sure she planned that just for you! I pray you are all doing well and I've missed reading the blog. Safe home now and "back in the game". I love you guys and I'll call you tomorrow.
Toni

 
At 6:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you the most wonderful birthday, Trish! You and your family remain ever in my prayers.
We love you!

 
At 8:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday dear Trish!
Happy Birthday to You!!!!!!!!

(trust us, this is much better than us singing in person!!!)

Wishing you a fabulous and blessed birthday!!!

Love,
Scotty and Jill

 
At 10:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GOD BLESS YOU - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU - AND MANY, MANY MORE FOR GOD'S GLORY! Love and Hugs, Grandma

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger Krista said...

I didnt get a chance yesterday to say Happy Birthday I hope you had a wonderful day.

 
At 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog and pray for your daughter. I thought you might be interested in the little girl in this blog. God bless!
http://maydensvoyage.blogspot.com/

 
At 5:44 AM , Blogger Fiffer said...

I am praying for your family. Pray that all is OK. You have such a gift with words and have helped me love my family more! Your baby daughter is precious and has captured my heart. Please update soon! Take care.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home