Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

7/29/2007

He's Just Too Funny

Allie and I spent the afternoon shopping for the last couple of items we needed for Ashley's birthday party. We had a lot of fun together and she was a really big help. She is so excited about Ash's birthday. One of the items on our list was going to Toys R Us to pick up the gift she and Blake decided to give her. The gift is just perfect for Ash. We really wanted to take it to Oklahoma with us and then on to Colorado so she could enjoy it during our trip, but the box was a little bigger than I was expecting so we "had" to open it today(the kids were so excited they really couldn't wait). Since we "had" to open it we needed to assemble it so the kids worked on attaching the handle and Dave worked on placing the stickers in the right places.

Let me just share with you that Ashley's daddy is just too funny(at least everyone except her mommy thinks so!). As he came to the headlight stickers this is what he said:

"Would you like googly eyes or straight eyes?"

In light of this weekends eye surgery and the different stages Ash's eye has been going through I didn't really think this comment was that funny, but laughter broke out across the room. The kids thought their dad was hilarious including our little Ashley Kate who was oblivious to the fact that her dad was picking on her. Silly girl, SHE thinks he's too funny. Needless to say I insisted on giving her new set of wheels nice, straight eyes. I know Ash is going to love this car because she loves for Blake to push her around the house on whatever he can find(blanket, walker, bumbo seat, stander, high chair). He pushes and pushes until his legs are burning and his back is breaking. I'm not sure if Blake or Ash is going to love this car more. It comes with a handle on the back so he won't have to squat down to push.

Its hard to tell what Ashley Kate's eyes are going to do. At this point they are a little googly and she hasn't learned how to control the new freedom of the left one. It looks a little silly, but I am hoping it settles into a normal position. Most of the time it seems to be looking straight ahead which is wonderful, but when she needs to look left or right it doesn't know which way to go. It has been really bloodshot today and looks very sore, but she acts like it doesn't bother her at all. She has an appointment in the morning with her doctor in Tyler. I am hoping to visit with him about what stages we should expect it to go through. It seems logical to me that it may take a few weeks for it to settle down. Regardless of what the eye does, I am just so grateful that she will be able to use her vision in both eyes for the first time in her life. I wish she could talk so she could express to us just what it feels like not to have to choose which eye to see with.


Its been another good day at our house. Sometime it feels as though its not real. I can't tell you how grateful we are for the normalcy our lives have taken on this past month. My heart was overwhelmed as we all sat down together for lunch around our table. Looking across the table and seeing our sweet Ashley Kate sitting in her high chair helping herself to a spoon full of green beans just blessed my heart. Life is good and we are happier than I could have ever imagined. God is good. He is good during the bad days and He is good during the good days. He has given us one more day with our little one and we are another day closer to celebrating two years of her life. Each moment is precious. Thank you for your prayers and your encouraging words. I pray your families were blessed with another good day as well. Good night my sweet friends and may our God bless you. Trish

4 Comments:

At 10:47 PM , Blogger Heather :) said...

Being that I have only started coming to your site, it is so wonderful to read the amazing bond your family has with each other. As much as all of the doctor's visits, and surgeries are a part of your life, you all seem to really put that in the Lord's hands, where else ~ right?, and allow your days to be full of His precious gifts to you!
We are always lifting your family up in our prayers! And, we will pray that Ashley's eye settles to the perfect spot!
If it makes you feel any better, I think my husband would have said the same thing! ;)

 
At 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful to read of these good days for your family and Ashley. I continue to pray that her eye will heal and she will continue to do so well! Thank you so very much for sharing her story with us-- you will never know what an immense blessing your testimony has been.

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger Sunshine said...

Oh if you are in Oklahoma for a while could I meet you guys somewhere? My girls would love to meet you all - can you email me and let me know if that would be possible...please don't worry if it is not I know you are there to see and celebrate family time...but I would LOVE to meet you guys too! Sunshine

 
At 12:19 PM , Blogger Amy said...

You may have already said and I just missed it, but do you mind sharing who took Ashley's birthday photos? She is gorgeous and they really did a good job of capturing that! We live in Lngvw too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home