Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

8/23/2007

He Opens and Closes

Ashley and I are making the 14 hour drive to Omaha, but I haven't decided when we are going to leave. Tonight we received word that our request for a flight was denied. I'm really ok with that answer. Obviously it is easier to make the hour and a half flight out there as opposed to driving, but I'm not the best passenger in the air anyway. It takes an awful lot of prayer to get me through the flight and each time we land I am amazed that we made it safely. I know it sounds ridiculous, but thats the way I am. Flying is not easy for me. Tonight I am just thinking that this time God closed the door on the flight and He must have a reason for it. We have been SO blessed to have our previous 3 flights to Omaha approved and I just can't be anything but grateful for the provision He made in those instances. This trip will take longer, but perhaps we will be better for it.

Blake is playing soccer for his school during his off season(it only lasts about 3 weeks, but to him it might as well be an eternity). He is an excellent soccer player but gave it up two years ago in order to seriously pursue his dream of becoming a baseball player. His first game is Monday at 4:30 and I can't bring myself to miss it. I will already be missing a game on Thursday so missing the one on Monday is causing me a little stress. I would like to attend the game and leave for Omaha towards the end of it. In this case we will be driving non stop throughout the night in order to make it to Omaha in time for Ashely's CT scan. I realize it will be difficult, but when you have three kids you have to make time and sacrifices for all three of them. Blake would completely understand me not attending, but I also know that he has had to "understand" an awful lot over the last two years. If there is any way possible I can make this work then I am going to try. I am really hoping to move her appointment back a couple of hours if at all possible. If its not then we will pull in front of the hospital right around 8:00a.m. in time to check her in at 8:30. Again I believe that God is capable of opening this door and allowing me to make the game and make the appointment in time. We'll have to see how it works out.

Speaking of opening doors, we are already working on getting Ashely involved with the hippotherapy that one of our readers suggested(thanks Wendy). I was going to wait to write about the opportunity once I returned from Omaha since I have to get the ok from her transplant team regarding immunity issues before beginning. Our therapist actually brought the application and consents over Wednesday for me to take to Omaha. She really believes this could help with Ash's mobility. After she left on Wednesday Blake looked at me and said, " There is NO way dad is going to let you put Ash on a horse!" I think we can convince him of it, but Blake is absolutely against it. He thinks it is too dangerous. I just love the way he looks out for and protects his little sisters. I am praying that this might be one of those doors God is opening up for Ash and that He will be able to use this therapy to bring about some changes in her life.

I'm still trying to convince Dave that I can make the trip to Omaha in one shot. He isn't thrilled with the idea of us driving all night, but his mom offered to come with me and help out with the driving. I'm thinking of it as an adventure. Ash will be comfortably sleeping for the majority of it and she won't put up a fuss. She is the best traveler! Strap her in next to her stuffed Blue and allow her to watch an episode or two until she drifts off and we will be good to go. I really can pull this off(I think!).

The best thing about returning to Omaha is visiting with old friends. I already have the baby gifts packed for those expecting, the thank you for being so great gifts packed for those who never fail to put a smile on my face, and the gifts I picked up just because it made me think of you. I really am looking forward to catching up with the girls(Ash's nurses) again. God opened lots of doors for us as we were searching for the right transplant center and He actually closed a few before we headed off in the wrong direction. The path that led us to Omaha and the people He placed in our lives while there continue to bless me everyday. He knew that He had organs, the right organs, waiting for our gherkin and I am so thankful for His guidance and wisdom. She might not be with us if we had gone the through the wrong door.

Thank you for loving us and our sweet Ashely Kate. Thank you for your kind words and your encouragements. Thank you for your friendship and your prayers. Good night my friends. Trish

11 Comments:

At 10:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a dear little niece with Downs Syndrome. She is around 10 or 11 now, and she has done horse riding therapy for years. I think she is pretty crazy about it, and on the rare occasions I've been with her through the years, I have been very impressed with the muscular strength and tone she seems to have. It just seems remarkable for a child with DS.
All that to say, maybe it will be just what Ashley needs. And I'm sure everyone is scrupulously careful with the little ones in these programs. Of course you and perhaps Dave could be there to make sure!

 
At 10:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a heads up... check, if you can, to see if there is construction in KS that will slow you down a little. We drove the route I think you will likely take (up 35... then through Salina, Concordia, etc.) coming back to NE after being in OK earlier this summer, and at that time were slowed down by a fair amount of road work. They may be done by now, but I'd hate for you to get unexpectedly held up! Also... if you take that particular route, and turn onto I-80 at York, you will likely encounter quite a bit of slow traffic between Lincoln and Omaha, as a fair number of Lincoln-dwellers commute to Omaha. When our son had early-morning appointments at Children's, that was a problem for us.

Don't want to bear bad news... just give you a heads up so you can be prepared and perhaps ask for an even later time if given the opportunity!

I live just a couple of miles from the intersection if hwy 81 and I-80, where you'll likely turn east. If there is anything you might need along the way, I'd be more than happy to help. We made the drive up from Dallas last October... and it's really not too bad! :-)

 
At 11:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to add... the weather should be beautiful and in the low 80's - mid 70's when you're up this way! :-)

 
At 11:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish-
I am still around and check on Ashley everyday. Please forgive me for not commenting. Man...I have been busy and dealing with my own illness of cancer now. Know that I am still praying for your little sweet pickle and you are on my mind everyday.
Love,
Shari

 
At 6:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for all of you today :)

 
At 11:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't posted in awhile, but have been reading and thinking of you all. Ahhh, a girl with a horse. It can be a magical thing to see. I live on a horse farm! I never grew out of it...For real! Horses although scary looking can have a keen sense of taking care of little ones. No, they are not all like that but the therapy horses are CHOSEN. They are not any wild steed out of a pasture. If you guys are excited about it,Ashley will be also when she meets the horses. Some children have no fear of them while others are wary. There are sidewalkers and leaders. It is very safe. It indeed uses muscles that are not used in any other way. Take care on your trip and I will be praying for you and praying that your litttle equestrian (lol) takes right to riding....Horses are truely a gift that God uses:) Colleen

 
At 11:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Sorry, but I couldn't resist adding this....You can get little riding breeches in pink for the princess. I am busting with excitement!! LOL...Colleen

 
At 12:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for all to go well. Safe travel.... (Praying)... Good to see Ash standing.

 
At 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can testify to the wonderful experience of horse therapy as my son has been utilizing it for the last 2 years. He is 11 years old now and suffered a massive stroke when he was 8 1/2. He was in a coma for 6 weeks and in in-patient rehab for 2 1/2 months. He had 8 months of out-patient therapy before we started horse therapy. Besides the tremendous physical benefits, it is just a wonderful thing for a family to experience. Jonathan has improved so much not only physically, but emotionally and in his confidence to do things on his own. The place we attend has numerous stories of children who have spoken their first words and taken their first steps during the time there. It is truly a blessing. Jonathan is our precious miracle, just like Ashley. I love seeing what God is doing in her life. I stand in awe of her life just as I do my sweet Jonathan's life. Horse therapy is something the whole family can support and you will be glad you did. I will keep praying for you, your precious family and your sweet Ashley Kate. Here is the website for the therapy place we attend, just so you can get an idea of what we experience. God bless you all. www.spirithorsetherapy.com
Much love to you,
Kristi Cooper
jonathancooper.org

 
At 4:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for a safe trip to Omaha and that you won't have to miss Blake's game if at all possible. I can feel how important that is to you.
I can't wait to hear about Ashley on those horse's I bet it will be wonderful for her! I know how Blake feels I was very anxious about putting my 4 year old on a horse last summer at a birthday party. It is so sweet that he looks out for her.
I also enjoyed reading about Ali's dream last week of Ashley walking. I have a feeling that strong little girl won't have her waiting too much longer! (((hugs))) ~Chan~

 
At 7:26 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, I am so excited you are going to try Hippotherapy!!! NARHA centers follow very strict guidelines for safety - and as someone else mentioned, we use side walkers and lead walkers for extra safety. The horses in these programs are carefully selected for gentleness - the horses in our program seem to know they are carrying very precious cargo on their backs! I have seen the most wonderful results with the use of the horse for therapy - I work with a six year old who has now begun sitting up unsupported...something she could not do just six months ago! The warmth of the animal, the unique and rhythmic movement - all help to work the muscles we need for postural support, including walking. Hope you'll post some photos of Ashley on her horse - and keep us updated. *BIG smile and continued prayers*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home