Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

1/30/2010

Date Night?

It's 3:15 a.m. and Dave and I just walked in the door. He looked at me and said, "Do you think this would be considered "date night"? I think the last time we were up hanging out together at this time in the morning we must been having more fun than we are now."

All I could do was smile and say, "It wasn't so bad."

"The painting was pretty bad(he REALLY hates painting), but the rest was alright."

It really was kind of like "date night" good music, good conversation, good food and drinks(if you consider Sonic Route 44's and a carton of Whoppers good food and drink=), and good company. I really did enjoy spending the evening with him. Even if we were working. I like hanging out with Dave. He's my best friend. Always has been and always will be. We laughed a lot, talked about some of our favorite memories of the children, and shared our most frightening moments of our last 17 years with each other. Mine? Childbirth, multiply that by 2, the night we handed Ash to her transplant surgeon, and the evening she coded. His? The three times I was forced to call him from 700 miles away and let him know that they were telling me if he wanted a chance to tell Ashley Kate good bye that he needed to be there NOW. Wow! Some pretty intense conversation with paint brush in hands.

After we painted we started moving a few of the larger pieces of furniture. We aren't even close to being done, but that file cabinet almost did me in! As we moved the hundreds of files from the back room to the new shelves I was in awe at how God has taken care of us over the last 11 years. He took a young doctor, fresh out of college, placed him in an office space and allowed him to help person after person after person. We started with 0 patients. None. Not even one that morning we first opened. In the last eleven years He has brought us a family that continues to grow and grow and grow. Our patients are family. They love us, we love them. They know our children, pray for our sweet Ashley, and we pray for them and the needs they bring to us. Dave LOVES his job, his staff, and his practice family. God has been so very good to us. So good. I felt so very blessed as we passed stacks of files between each other. I shared my thoughts with Dave and he shared with me how very humbled he felt the day he moved all those files to the back room to prepare for the remodel. He was humbled that each of those files represented a person who trusted him. It is truly incredible.

Our new office space is BEAUTIFUL. Its going to be one of the longest weekends of our lives as we finish cleaning, moving, and organizing so that we can open Monday morning, but it is SO exciting. I'm not sure that I'll be moving too quickly at basketball practice in the morning, and I'm not even sure I'll have the ability to walk into the tournament Monday morning. One thing I do know though is that as tired as I am tonight I'm thanking the Father for the time He blessed Dave and I with tonight and for the time He is giving us the rest of the weekend to be together. Its hard work, but Dave has a way of making me laugh so hard that I forget how hard we are working.

Date night? Yeah, one of the best we've had in a long, long time.

Now I'm off to jump in the shower. I'm covered from head to toe in paint and sheet rock dust! Not quite the outfit I would have chosen to wear on "date night".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home