Ashley's Story

She will leave fingerprints all over your heart

3/24/2007

It won't be long...

...until we move back into our little yellow house? Oh, I wish. No. It won't be long until we have worn out our welcome. I am afraid that after living with my in-laws for one full week that we are beginning to see signs of the strain it is putting on them. Don't misunderstand me. I have wonderful in-laws, but they haven't had kids in their home in 15 years and I don't think this is what they had in mind during these years.

I have really great kids, but the problem with them is that they are kids. Kids make messes, make too many drinks that they don't finish, leave toys and things strewn about, don't behave like adults, aren't as responsible as adults, and they leave their towels on the floor in the bathroom. Now at my house these things don't bother me. I learned long ago that I would rather spend my time enjoying my years with these wonderful little people while they are little as opposed to keeping my house spotless all the time. So what if a towel lays on the floor for an hour or so. Is it really going to cause the world to end? Not my world, but when you are living in someone else's home it just might. I am a nervous wreck trying to keep everything we have out of the way and picked up as much as possible, but the truth is there is just no space for our things. Nothing has been said to us about the inconvenience our little family is causing, but I'm not blind. When your not used to having kids around your just not used to having kids around.

Anyway, I am more than thankful that my precious in-laws have allowed us to stay in their home while ours is in pieces. They are going to great lengths to make us feel welcome, but its just not the same. I need to take my kids to my house and allow them to see them occasionally when they choose to as opposed to having them under foot 24/7.

One of the best things about us staying here with them is that they get some great bonding time with Ash. She is loving the many laps to choose from when she feels like being rocked. She is getting to know them more and more each day and that is a blessing for all involved. I am thankful for the purpose this time is serving in our lives. I continue to learn lessons on a daily basis, and I suppose as long as I am willing to learn and grow He will continue to provide the opportunity to make me into what He would like for me to be.

Well I can hear my Ashley Kate becoming rowdy in the next room and I need to go and quiet her before she wakes up her grandparents. Just another thing we could add to our list of inconveniencing them. Thanks for checking on the gherkin tonight. I continue to thank God for those of you who continue to stick it out with us. My prayer is that someday I will be able to title a post with the word REMISSION in the title so that we can all rejoice together. You mean so very much to us. Good night and may God bless you and your families. Trish

5 Comments:

At 9:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you must just long to be home! In YOUR house, women everywhere understand this (Grandmas's too)! You've been away from your house for so long and so has Ashley. It will refresh your soul when you can walk across that threshold and stay in your jammies if you want. God has been so great in providing a place so you didn't have to stay in Omaha until the remodel was done. Allowing the little princess to see her Dad and brother & sister..Change brings stress though even when it is good, especially when it is taking place so fast. Its like you pray and pray and then "wham" here everything is changed for the better but there are other obstacles now. Just stop and breathe! Breathe deeply...your babies are all together, this is just another "step" in Ashley's journey. You can get through this time. My prayer for you is for peace in the midst of the whole construction issue and peace wherever you are and God given patience and grace. This is God's plan, how great to know of His love for you and Ashley. Sweet dreams! Colleen

 
At 10:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How well I remember when we had to stay, between jobs, with my parents, which meant 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, my parents, my husband and myself, and our 5 children, ages 5 months to 13 years. Such love they extended to let us stay there, and I bet they couldn't count the times they bit their tongues rather than say something. But it was a long 5 months, and I was so thrilled at the end of it to find a place of our own, where we could truly let our hair down in our own relaxing, sometimes messy way. I know it can be hard. But as it was with us, what a blessing to have family who are willing to open up their homes. I bet it beats the hospital. And I know you aren't complaining. Just percolating a little, and then back to your very blessed life. You inspire me. - Dee Dee R.

 
At 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trish--I know you so want to be in your own home. I can't imagine what it would be like to have my home all torn apart like that and have to rely on someone else to provide my bed and room. It must be hard. I pray you will get through this time with peace and grace and strength. I pray for Grandpa and Grandma too. I love your family!

Shari

 
At 12:56 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

Praying hard for you guys! Love, Cosby's

 
At 8:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want you to know that I'm enjoying every minute of having your family with us. I know space is cramped at times, but I was raised with six children and two parents in a very tiny two bedroom house and I've learned that closeness can be comfortable and wonderful. It blesses my heart to know that I get to wake up every morning and see Ash and Blake and Allie and I know when the day does come that you get to move back into your house that our house will seem awfully eerie and quiet for a while. You may have us then visiting you more than you would like so watch out....ha ha. Please know that my heart and home is ALWAYS open to all my children/grandchildren and I'll ALWAYS be willing and ready to help in any way I can. I told Greypa just a couple of nights ago how happy I am having you all here and I pray you will know the love in my heart for you all. I also know how ready you are to get back to your "normal" life in your own home - I understand. But...let me love you and love the situation while we're in in for this too shall pass...sooner than we think. Love and Hugs, Grandma

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home